Put McCummings in position to make plays | The Boneyard

Put McCummings in position to make plays

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Coach P if you are not going to give McCummings more than a few touches at QB - let's get him in the game in the slot , tailback or receiver. Granted you got to limit the packages for a Freshmen.........but he is our best runner ........you got to put your best players in position to make plays.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm guessing you haven't read the updates from the press conference this week where the OC talked directly about McCummings.

One of the reasons redshirt freshman quarterback Scott McCummings has a package each game is because of his running ability, but that hasn't worked all the time, either.
"Scotty McCummings had a 17-yard run [against Western Michigan]," DeLeone said. "Four players earlier, same exact play, he drops the snap; same exact play, we're going to have the same result. Fourth play of the game we have the same play called, going to be the same result, we're offside. There are constantly too many bumps in the road."

McCummings has been his own worst enemy with playing time. Simply put if you are a QB and you are putting the ball on the ground, you are putting yourself on the bench.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-football-1006-20111005,0,5793553.story

Reaction Score
Both the offsides and the dropped snap are the result of McCummings calling the cadence and the gun direct snap. A move to tailback doesn't need to include those. You don't see McCombs in that situation. You can let SM run the ball without that package.

Reaction Score
Ugh. Why not Sio Moore? Did you see Reyes run that interception back last year - why not him? How about the guy in the 3rd row in section 212? It's bad enough to be dealing w/conference death by a 1000 cuts and a 2-3 record, but do we really need to go for the trifects and throw idiotic ideas out there to see if they stick?

Reaction Score
Ugh. Why not Sio Moore? Did you see Reyes run that interception back last year - why not him? How about the guy in the 3rd row in section 212? It's bad enough to be dealing w/conference death by a 1000 cuts and a 2-3 record, but do we really need to go for the trifects and throw idiotic ideas out there to see if they stick?
No but why not put him in the slot and run some trick plays with the lateral to him and him throwing the rock down the field, hand off to sm from the shotgun and have him run the option with mccoombs add another dimension to the offense an athlete on the field that can throw the ball can help a lot even if he isn't your primary passer.

C

Chief00

Chin Diesel - I did see the quote and that prompted my post. My point is they have to put him on the field for runs in other ways/schemes. Thus far, the downside to the team timing has offset the plus of the run threat at QB. Its real tough to be successful with 2-3 QB plays per game. The cadence is different for the linemen, it's a little different for the center, etc.

Reaction Score
Have any of you who are calling for plays where McCummings throws seen him throw? He is wildly inconsistent. He throws the same whether its 50 yard pattern or a 10 yard out/in/hook/stop. There is a reason he isn't called on to throw the ball unless it is the fake QB keep when he steps back and throws downfield. Unless he is throwing it deep and letting the receiver run under it, he has not been effective throwing the ball. And even then its a crap shoot.

Reaction Score
gioff23 I work with and played softball with that guy in the third row , NO way do you want him running the ball !

Reaction Score
gioff23 I work with and played softball with that guy in the third row , NO way do you want him running the ball !

i totally disagree. he goes down after first contact, but if you can get him into space, he could be a real playmaker for us.

also, i think he could do very well as a replacement for wilburn on the defensive side. ironman football ala darius butler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom