Put (A Little) Money Where Your Mouth Is | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Put (A Little) Money Where Your Mouth Is

Reaction Score
Most people dont understand it. I am not pouring money down a hole without understanding it.

I have all my money tied up with a guy who says he has a sure fire way to turn lead into gold.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I can afford it, I am just not going to do it.

NIL SHOULD be about the ability for them to earn money by using their N,I and L. Not just bags of money to hand over.
Why aren't we seeing these kids in local bank or car dealer commercials like those Dr Pepper commercials with Bryce Young when he was at Alabama.

The coaches were always in those local ads including billboards along the highway but I never actually see anything with a local college kids in them.

Bueckers got that huge deal, but I have never see her actually appear in anything regarding those partnerships. Maybe I am not the target audience, but still you'd think it would pop up somewhere once or twice.
NIL isn't just about getting paid for sponsorship deals. It's become a way to have players earn what they deserve by putting themselves on the line to play this game. Schools bring in millions and coaches get paid 10 of millions to coach and some get 75 million to not coach. Players just want to earn what they can and if these collectives are going to pay these athletes, then that's how it is. Don't start with the free education line because it's old and worn out. NIL is about sponsorship and getting paid to play the sport they risk their health on.

Reaction Score
Next time someone comes to UConn wanting to gift us something like $1M locker room upgrade we should just redirect them to NIL.

If I were a college athlete with options and some place had really nice facilities but poor or no NIL money I would just assume that the school was holding out on athletes.
Yep - no more putt-putt courses or barber shops being built in football facilities.

Reaction Score
It's become a way to have players earn what they deserve by putting themselves on the line to play this game. Schools bring in millions and coaches get paid 10 of millions to coach and some get 75 million to not coach.
I get that NIL is where we are but I think this where the disconnect is. You wanna pay the players like coaches, just have the school pay them. They should become employees like other professionals. The whole NIL thing where it’s up to the fans to buy players just seems weird.

Reaction Score
Most people dont understand it. I am not pouring money down a hole without understanding it.

I have all my money tied up with a guy who says he has a sure fire way to turn lead into gold.

We’re in uncharted waters.

Considering schools use the name, image and likeness of their athletes everyday it’s still kind of absurd that schools can’t just pay them….

These NIL collectives are just a Rube Goldberg method of doing that.

Reaction Score
I get that NIL is where we are but I think this where the disconnect is. You wanna pay the players like coaches, just have the school pay them. They should become employees like other professionals. The whole NIL thing where it’s up to the fans to buy players just seems weird.
That’s coming soon

Reaction Score
NIL with players allowed to make money based on their marketing ability makes sense. The rest is just a fool's errand for most of us. Maybe we'll see the Ivy League, Stanford, and Northwestern go out and hire the best players. I mean, if the likes of Georgetown and Notre Dame with their wealthy alumni can't figure out how to line up 5 star basketball recruits, then they're not even trying.

I don't see how UConn will continue to compete with these wealthy schools with the most wealthy alumni. I would think that all changes very soon.

Reaction Score

Maybe he needs some college athletes to market his gold?

Reaction Score
NIL isn't just about getting paid for sponsorship deals. It's become a way to have players earn what they deserve by putting themselves on the line to play this game. Schools bring in millions and coaches get paid 10 of millions to coach and some get 75 million to not coach. Players just want to earn what they can and if these collectives are going to pay these athletes, then that's how it is. Don't start with the free education line because it's old and worn out. NIL is about sponsorship and getting paid to play the sport they risk their health on.
I have always wanted them to earn a salary but this roundabout crap is ridiculous. Plus I want NCAA 2025 to come out next year for PS5, so this better be figured out by then.

Reaction Score
Too bad we don't have former players who made a ton in the NFL like we do NBA players. The NBA players that earned $100-200 million in their careers could cover a $1.5 million need without blinking.

Reaction Score
Agree and it’s a ridiculous stretch to call these students employees.

It’s a tired argument that college athletes need to get paid because coaches get paid. Coaches are professionals who are paid in the same way that faculty or other employees get paid. But college athletes participate in Amatuer athletics. If they want to get paid as employees, they should find a pro team that’ll pay them as employees out of high school. College sports isn’t that & doesn’t need to be transformed into something it never intended to be - a paid sports league.

And it’s worth noting most schools loose tens of $millions on their athletic programs The revenue generating sports only partially offset losses from other sports offered to students. The system worked & benefitted the athletes who took advantage of it.

I accept the argument that athlete’s should be able to benefit from use of their name, image & likeness. But NIL is clearly moving beyond that & effectively creating a free agency market for athletes

Reaction Score
NIL with players allowed to make money based on their marketing ability makes sense. The rest is just a fool's errand for most of us. Maybe we'll see the Ivy League, Stanford, and Northwestern go out and hire the best players. I mean, if the likes of Georgetown and Notre Dame with their wealthy alumni can't figure out how to line up 5 star basketball recruits, then they're not even trying.

I don't see how UConn will continue to compete with these wealthy schools with the most wealthy alumni. I would think that all changes very soon.
Maybe I’m naive, but the Ivy League doesn’t need to do this. Alumni of these schools became rich because these schools provide a superior education. Donors would rather see an upgrade to the school of engineering than have the QB drive a Bentley. That’s why this whole Stanford to the ACC thing perplexes me. It contradicts everything that makes Stanford such a great school.

Reaction Score

I think schools will think about how they want to compete in the future. The Ivy League is content to compete against each other and play some other schools in other sports. Remember, you have to be academically oriented to play in the Ivies and the Ivies don't allow redshirts so they aren't going to upgrade to compete against the biggest schools.

Stanford is an interesting case. They pride themselves on playing a large number of sports like the Ivy League, but the collapse of the Pac 12 really threw their athletic department for a loop as there is no western conference in which they could compete. If they were an Eastern or Midwestern school, I think they would have considered applying to the Ivy League. For the future, I think they are hoping for a Big 10 invite or the formation of a high academic conference down the road.

I think UConn can compete financially with the top 50 athletic universities in the future.

Reaction Score
Well if it wasnt already abundantly clear who we are concerned about losing
This is a keen sense of the obvious. But why not appreciation of the effort? ;)
Don't start with the free education line because it's old and worn out. NIL is about sponsorship and getting paid to play the sport they risk their health on.
The free / scholarship line will never wear out soon. Any player can turn down any school at any time and move on to any school and pay tuition. No rocket science here.
As for risking health , many have done that simply by going to work every day of our lives for decades. The injury rate and sometimes death is much higher.
They are playing a game they love and getting a free education beyond the $$$ of non athletes.

Reaction Score
It's really weird. I feel like I'm listening to a bunch of twitch streamers or YouTubers. "Please like and subscribe!"

Maybe we can stream practices and put a girl in a hot tub and a bikini on the 50 yard line asking people to subscribe using their twitch prime.

Reaction Score
Well if it wasnt already abundantly clear who we are concerned about losing
Those athletes signed up with the collective before the season. Not to say that they aren't the ones we want to keep, but they were all part of it before the season and before Cam Edwards and TR really played much.

Reaction Score
Too bad we don't have former players who made a ton in the NFL like we do NBA players. The NBA players that earned $100-200 million in their careers could cover a $1.5 million need without blinking.
but they never have nor are they expected to

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Um. No. I have my own real expenses to worry about. Not paying for the potential to have better sports teams. (As much as I want UCONN to do well).

Are they going to start having commercials saying, "For less than the cost of a cup of coffee per day..."

It's like a GoFundMe because of a broken healthcare system.

Start with asking corporate sponsors to pony up. Don't start here.

All the schools are doing this. This is not just UConn, but every other FBS is doing just this.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
They need to keep promoting these collectives big time me and all over. Before this weekend I hadn't heard a peep from any of these people. They start tweeting, or whatever it's called now, and all ok a sudden we have $41k. They need to continue to promote the heck out of this and they'll hit their goal or come.closer.

The AD needs to be asked about exactly this. At Tennessee, they literally had an in-game ad at the football game with the HC asking to donate to NIL. They can easily bump ad time to make this happen.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Maybe I’m naive, but the Ivy League doesn’t need to do this. Alumni of these schools became rich because these schools provide a superior education. Donors would rather see an upgrade to the school of engineering than have the QB drive a Bentley. That’s why this whole Stanford to the ACC thing perplexes me. It contradicts everything that makes Stanford such a great school.

Disagree. The reason why alums of ivy league schools become rich is because they come from rich families in the first place. For most people in ivy league schools, it is much more who you know than what you know.

Reaction Score
Disagree. The reason why alums of ivy league schools become rich is because they come from rich families in the first place. For most people in ivy league schools, it is much more who you know than what you know.
Ivy League degree is best Union card in the world

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom