Pushing start of season one month back | The Boneyard

Pushing start of season one month back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Interesting take, for sure. Wonder if this gains serious traction.

Start the season in mid-December, after first semester exams and during the lull between college football regular season and the bowl season. The weekend of the Heisman Trophy ceremony is the ideal time for a grand opening weekend that would generate momentum through the holidays.

But the season cannot be condensed because of student-athlete welfare issues, so starting one month later means ending one month later.

Conference play would commence after the Super Bowl, allowing more than 50 percent of the season to take place out of football’s long shadow.

The NCAA Tournament would move to late April or early May, which is the most radical aspect of the idea.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/colleg...ne-month-there-are-merits-on-a-lot-of-levels/

Reaction Score
I don't see a problem with it. As long as the season lasts the same amount of time, I don't care what time of year it is.

Reaction Score
Seems like the tournament competing against the NBA and NHL playoffs would be a bigger issue than competing against college football. Plus the logistics of getting all the arenas.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
If this didn't cause conflicts w/ NHL and NBA playoffs I think it would make a lot of sense.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
Worst idea ever.

I love college hoops. And when the season is done it is time to put down the remote and go outside.

Reaction Score
Who's complaining? Never knew anything was remotely broken. There's got to be a money issue behind this.

Reaction Score
I'd be cool with the idea if it meant teams averaging more games each week. But moving the tourney to April and May seems dumb.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
My view is move the college football and NFL stuff so it doesn't interfere with college hoops.

I'm down to really only to fully investing in two sports these days . NHL and college hoops.

Reaction Score
I love that the CBB championship game coincides with MLB opening day, making it on of my favorite days of the year.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
this is my nightmare
Agreed. The Final Four would be a direct conflict with the New Orleans Jazz Fest, pitting my two favorite events in the world against each other.

I need to have each of these as a regular feature in my life; this would be like choosing between my children.

Reaction Score
I'd be cool with the idea if it meant teams averaging more games each week. But moving the tourney to April and May seems dumb.
Disagree for 2 reasons. 1) with practice, travel, classes and study I think more than 2 games per week would be too much, and 2) that would shorten what's already a relatively short sports season. The longer college basketball is on, the better in my opinion.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I don't want to like this idea, but I actually think its a good idea on the merits.

You may now begin to berate me.

Reaction Score
The problem is that whatever you gain in terms of exposure by ensuring the beginning of the season does not overlap with college football is lost and then some by pitting the tournament - where all of the revenue is generated - against the NBA and NHL playoffs (not to mention the NFL draft).

As it is now, March Madness is perfectly situated on the sports calendar. It's long clear of the NFL, just before baseball, and in the middle of the dog days of the NHL and NBA seasons when everybody is waiting for the playoffs to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom