Purvis working on his free throws | The Boneyard

Purvis working on his free throws

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There's one more thing he needs to work on: not stepping out of bounds. LOL. But in all honesty, I love Purvis and it's great to hear he's working on his free throws.

Reaction Score
Purvis' FT% went in to the respectable range after he changed his routine mid-season. He was above 75% once he made the change.
Are you talking specifically about discontinuing the flip he'd do after finishing the bounce? He had a habit of spinning the ball up to his hands, which he he obviously doesn't do on jump shots.

Reaction Score
Anybody else concerned that his tweet seems to imply he missed the 52nd?

In all seriousness, Purvis left a ton of points on the line last year - not just the misses, but the free throws he didn't draw because he didn't embrace the contact. With his body, he should be living on the line. Dyson shot over six free throws a game his senior year - it'd be nice if Purvis could get in that range.

Reaction Score

In all seriousness, Purvis left a ton of points on the line last year - not just the misses, but the free throws he didn't draw because he didn't embrace the contact. With his body, he should be living on the line. Dyson shot over six free throws a game his senior year - it'd be nice if Purvis could get in that range.
Purvis needs to tighten his handle, but then I agree, with his build and slashing ability, he should consistently get to the line. He can easily bully college defenders when he drives to the hoop.

I actually think even our own fanbase is sleeping on Purvis a bit this year. We'll have a ton of talent on our squad this coming season, but I think Purvis will be leaned on heavily in a leadership role; both on and off the court.

He has some warts as a player, but Purvis was a highly-touted prospect who finally came into his own at the end of last season. Once the calendar flipped to March, Purvis averaged 17.3 points while shooting 40.8% from three and a respectable 73% on free throws. With another summer under Ollie's tutelage to refine his game, a big 2016 season is in store for Purvis.

Reaction Score

Is there a chance he didn't look for contact because he was afraid to "fail" at the line. It does become a hinderance and can psychologically destroy people as we've seen. Maybe with improved confidence we will see a more physically aggressive Rodney this coming year. But I agree he did not always embrace contact for a specimen like he is.

Reaction Score
I for one am proud he's working hard and putting in the hours, as he is a stud. People forget how difficult it can be for some players to be off an entire season and immediately come back into perfect playing form like flipping on a light switch. It takes time before getting back into rhythm, and great players do return to rhythm as Purvis proved toward the end of last season. He is a Ferrari, and like any other car, tuneups are required from time to time.

Reaction Score
I'm glad he's working hard. I think he had the talent last year, but it was like he had some sort of mental block. I also hope he works on his 3-point shots too. We need outside shooting.

Reaction Score
I heard Brimah is working on his dunking and Adams working on his passing. Then I got the word that Facey is working on his re-bounding! How about the rest of the team? they doing anything?

Who woulda thunk! Scholarship Div 1 College B-Ball players working on their games.

Reaction Score
I heard Brimah is working on his dunking and Adams working on his passing. Then I got the word that Facey is working on his re-bounding! How about the rest of the team? they doing anything?

Who woulda thunk! Scholarship Div 1 College B-Ball players working on their games.
lol Yes, but the point here is that he's improving.

Reaction Score
Purvis needs to tighten his handle, but then I agree, with his build and slashing ability, he should consistently get to the line. He can easily bully college defenders when he drives to the hoop.

I actually think even our own fanbase is sleeping on Purvis a bit this year. We'll have a ton of talent on our squad this coming season, but I think Purvis will be leaned on heavily in a leadership role; both on and off the court.

He has some warts as a player, but Purvis was a highly-touted prospect who finally came into his own at the end of last season. Once the calendar flipped to March, Purvis averaged 17.3 points while shooting 40.8% from three and a respectable 73% on free throws. With another summer under Ollie's tutelage to refine his game, a big 2016 season is in store for Purvis.
Sometimes being on the outside we may not realize how bad his ankle injury was, how much it affected him, or the amount of time to 'fully' recover. Many athletes play through it but don't get to 100%. I agree the full and healthy Purvis will be a formidable weapon, and could actually become our best weapon.

Reaction Score
Purvis understands that if he's going to get drafted this is his big year and he's putting in the necessary work. He was already getting there by the end of last year. He will likely be our leading scorer.

Reaction Score
Hi Rodney - The Chief cares! Great job! Good to see the progress now that you are using the repeatable mechanics /routine. As Coach says you got to make the defense pay.

I choose to belive that you are repeating to us what you already said to him personally.

C

Chief00

The stepping out of bounds stuff - yes that drives coaches absolutely crazy. Means the player has no clue where he is on the court.
On the plus side - it's good to see a guy work on something he needs to improve on (foul shooting) rather than just dunking the ball.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
The stepping out of bounds stuff - yes that drives coaches absolutely crazy. Means the player has no clue where he is on the court.
On the plus side - it's good to see a guy work on something he needs to improve on (foul shooting) rather than just dunking the ball.

Chief, you don't think that Brimah is working on other stuff in addition to dunking?

Reaction Score
Chief, you don't think that Brimah is working on other stuff in addition to dunking?

DysonDunk.jpg

Reaction Score

I don't want to speak for Chief but in addition to his hard work in the weight room...when I was on campus this summer for a brief period of time Brimah was kicking around a soccer ball. Kid is leaving no stone unturned I guess! Grinding.................;)

C

Chief00

Actually, I wasn't thinking of Brimah - I was in the archives - thinking of Andre during his HS era - it took him awhile to - pivot from his comfort level to spend time on what he needed to work on.
One observation, even from an early age - he had an amazing combination of athleticism and tremendous hands. The great hands are so often what's overlooked and helps (now that he tries to get position) with his rebounding - great gloves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom