Purvis Probable vs Texas | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Purvis Probable vs Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He doesn't he just thought it was an unnecessary insult. Everyone knows that Purvis's game is based on athleticism as evidenced by what we have seen. If we don't win the Texas game at home changes to the lineup are forthcoming I assume from KO.
The point is that it shouldn't be seen as an insult in the first place.

Reaction Score
If you think Purvis' game is more about skill than his strength, speed, and athleticism, then you are wrong
Not sure what it is you're suggesting here.
What skills do you believe he does not possess?
Or are you saying that, because he is uber-athletic, his skills would have to be proportionately greater than some other guy who was less athletic?

Against Dayton he shot 2 of 4 from the 3. He shot 6 of 11 from 2. He dished 2 of our 8 assists. He appeared to play good D.

What "skills" is he lacking, exactly?

Is the fact that he is excellent at muscling his way to the rim somehow evidence that he "lacks skills."

What skills?

Reaction Score
Or are you saying that, because he is uber-athletic, his skills would have to be proportionately greater than some other guy who was less athletic?

Against Dayton he shot 2 of 4 from the 3. He shot 6 of 11 from 2. He dished 2 of our 8 assists. He appeared to play good D.

Is the fact that he is excellent at muscling his way to the rim somehow evidence that he "lacks skills."

What skills?
I think he means he uses more pure athletic ability to get things done, as opposed to someone who is more "finessed," which I think would be a better word to use to make the distinction and the point. Think Andre Drummond vs Anthony Davis.

Reaction Score
I think he means he uses more pure athletic ability to get things done, as opposed to someone who is more "finessed," which I think would be a better word to use to make the distinction and the point. Think Andre Drummond vs Anthony Davis.

Right, except the only problem is that in his breakout game against Dayton he didn't really rely on athleticism to get his 19 and impact the game. So it's sort of a typical Boneyard phenomenon where myth/reputation gets elevated over actual performance.

H

huskymagic

What skills?

I think what the OP was suggesting was pretty clear. Purvis is a player that is limited what he can do on a basketball court if he cannot use his athleticism and therefore can't affect the game without being fully ready physically. Happy Thanksgiving!

Reaction Score
Purvis is a player that is limited what he can do on a basketball court if he cannot use his athleticism
Not being intentionally obtuse here. Just don't know what you mean.
Do you mean to say that Rodney Purvis with a sore knee would lose more ability than Larry Bird with a sore knee?

Can anybody who agrees with the "Purvis lacks skills" argument please tell me exactly what skills the kid is lacking?

And please provide a little meat to the skeletal argument that "finesse/skills" players will be more effective than "athletic" players given the same injury.

I mean, I watched some dude named Curry in the NBA completely tear apart a defense with nothing but finesse, long range shooting, misdirection, and so on. His skills were off the charts. His finesse was amazing. Give him a sprained knee and he'd get shut down.

Which is why I return to the original point. The thought that Purvis is "athletic" and "not a finesse/skills" player is insulting because it suggests he's getting by on brute strength/force and hasn't developed his skill set.

So I ask again, because nobody has answered this question yet, and it seems that everybody wants to discuss this in vague generics.

What "skills" do you believe Purvis does not possess?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think that Purvis, because of the rough start, has become this year's Jerome Dyson as whipping boy, and I really hope he tears it up over the next few months so that I don't have to keep reading a handful of negative nancys ripping the kid.

We've gone from "not as advertised," to "out of control," to "lacks skills," to "faking injury to cover hurt pride," to "bring him off the bench."

All in about what? 30 days?

Or maybe it's a positive? I mean, if Phil is the only whipping boy he might not make it to March.

Reaction Score
I think that Purvis, because of the rough start, has become this year's Jerome Dyson as whipping boy, and I really hope he tears it up over the next few months so that I don't have to keep reading a handful of negative nancys ripping the kid.

We've gone from "not as advertised," to "out of control," to "lacks skills," to "faking injury to cover hurt pride," to "bring him off the bench."

All in about what? 30 days?

Or maybe it's a positive? I mean, if Phil is the only whipping boy he might not make it to March.
I was merely arguing the statement that it is an insult to say he relies on athleticism more than skill. Of course he is very skilled (can dribble, pass, shoot, etc) but his game is based around his speed in the open court, ability to play above the rim, strength to finish through contact, etc. Like Westbrook and Rose are both incredibly skilled, but it would not be an insult to say they rely on their pure athleticism and instincts as much or more than skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom