Purvis now averaging double figures | The Boneyard

Purvis now averaging double figures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As much heat as RP has taken for being a bust on here, he is now averaging 10.1 points and just under 37% on 3's. I feel he is starting to just let loose and not over thinking every little mistake. I'm convinced he can clean up his free throw shooting, because he's got a nice touch from outside. Also, he has shown the ability to be a lockdown defender when he's fully into it, and once he matures a bit we'll see it more consistently. I'm glad we have 2 full seasons after this one to see how good he can be. It seems like he's been around forever but he's only a sophomore!

Reaction Score
He's the type of kid who should live at the free throw line. He's not shifty with the ball like Boatright, but he's so strong that defenders bounce off of him when he goes to the basket. If he were a better free throw shooter, I think he'd be seeking out contact constantly throughout the game. He loves to take that floater when he gets in the lane, and I wonder if it's because he consciously or subconsciously isn't crazy about the idea of getting fouled.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
His decision making in the flow of the offense was much better last night. The ball didn't stick, he moved with purpose, attacked the rim. He's still prone to some WTF moments but it looks like its starting to click for him.

Reaction Score
Hopeful but tempered.
It was a blowout win.
SMU will tell us more.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Hopeful but tempered.
It was a blowout win.
SMU will tell us more.
He was one of the major reasons for the blow out. First half was lockdown d by the starting five and he was a starter. Second half he and Ryan deflated Tulsa.

And yes there is some confidence issue for him. Not surprising since this is only his second year playing college ball.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I'm glad he is starting to generate some positives but for all the AA stuff and the Ferrari talk, I see a potential as much as I see a chance for disappointment.
He doesn't seem to keep his head in the game and really doesn't use the strength of his body to drive to the hoop in the half court offense.
His free throw shooting is getting to the point to where he is going to be targeted in a hack-a-pervis situation.
I agree his defense, when he is into it, is great.
I'm all for him to be a HUGE factor down the stretch so UConn can have a 3 headed offensive threat - Boat/DHam/RP

Reaction Score
The pull up jumper he hit in transition in the second half was great. He was poised and under control, and it was a smart basketball play. Hopefully he builds on this momentum for the rest of the season.

He really gets going when he gets a three to go down; he needs to play w/that kind of energy all the time.

Reaction Score
The way the roster is currently constructed, UConn needs Purvis to score if they're going to win. He's vital to the team's success.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Purvis is not a Ferrari. But as I said in the chat last night, he is turning into a nice Lexus SC. Not going to win any races, but a very fine car to have.

Reaction Score
Oh hell, you again! When it comes to RP I don't even care to read your post. Get a life!
Yeah, but, it turns out I was dead on, ay? He looked great after we opened up a 15 point lead and we didn't need him, but he looked awful when we really needed him against SMU. True, whether I get a life or not. @fleudslipcon you should review this as well. My psych review on Purvis was > than yours, at least this time.

Reaction Score
As much heat as RP has taken for being a bust on here, he is now averaging 10.1 points and just under 37% on 3's. I feel he is starting to just let loose and not over thinking every little mistake. I'm convinced he can clean up his free throw shooting, because he's got a nice touch from outside. Also, he has shown the ability to be a lockdown defender when he's fully into it, and once he matures a bit we'll see it more consistently. I'm glad we have 2 full seasons after this one to see how good he can be. It seems like he's been around forever but he's only a sophomore!
Yeah i really dont get Purv. When he pump fakes he gets by his guy nearly every time and either hits the floater or gets fouled. He should be doing this every time! If they dont go for the pump fake or play off expecting the drive you either kick it back out or take the jumper. Its there all the time. I think once he figures things out he should absolutely look like a man amongst boys. Physically i see why people were so high on him coming out of hs. the talent is there i hope he gets it all together over the next 2 years.

Reaction Score
Purvis is not a Ferrari. But as I said in the chat last night, he is turning into a nice Lexus SC. Not going to win any races, but a very fine car to have.
I think you are gonna need to downgrade him to a busted Saturn. Maybe in 2 years he can become a decent Lexus

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Purvis is a Ferrari when the came is a blowout and the other team is giving up. When we are down by fifteen and have no chance, he is a Lexus. When the game is tight and we need points and smart play, he is a used Pinto.

Reaction Score
Purvis is a Ferrari when the came is a blowout and the other team is giving up. When we are down by fifteen and have no chance, he is a Lexus. When the game is tight and we need points and smart play, he is a used Pinto.
True.

Reaction Score
There's no one besides Boat to get a big bucket when the deficits are increasing from 5 to 15, so there's rarely been a crunch time in most of their road AAC losses.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Yeah, but, it turns out I was dead on, ay? He looked great after we opened up a 15 point lead and we didn't need him, but he looked awful when we really needed him against SMU. True, whether I get a life or not. @fleudslipcon you should review this as well. My psych review on Purvis was > than yours, at least this time.
LOL! Kid is streaky. Misses free throws. Gets hot when there is less pressure. All point to a confidence problem. I posted that in one of the other threads. My only disagreement with you was that his contribution in the Tulsa game wasn't just at the end of the game when Tulsa gave up. It was shortly after the run Tulsa made and closed the lead in the second half.

It's easy to get down on people because they can't meet expectations. A fair person would get down on everyone, because everyone has weaknesses or inabilities or deficiencies. But very few of us do this. Most of us have a type of individual or types of behaviors that bother us. There is a reason for selective discomfort, anger, antagonism. That's the personal factor. It results either from an inherent processing difference between ourselves and others (nature) or because some environmental factor created a neural pathway that makes this happen (nurture).

Reaction Score

Not a psych review, more like pyscho.

Reaction Score
Don't blame Purvis for his lackluster performance yesterday, blame me. I started this thread and clearly jinxed him

Reaction Score
A Lexus is a luxury car that starts up, has some pep, and runs as smooth as silk, comfortable and dependable. Rodney has the odometer but he's a little rough cornering, sometimes skidding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom