Purvis article from the JI | The Boneyard

Purvis article from the JI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Purvis didn’t like what he heard: He was told it was highly unlikely he’d be chosen in the first round.

“It’s what you want. Some people test the water and, ‘I found out I’m a second-round pick. OK, I’ll take it,’ ” Purvis said after a workout this week at the Werth Center on the UConn campus. “To each his own. Do whatever you want to do. For me, personally, my talent level, I just believe in myself that I’m better than a second-round pick. I don’t care what anybody else says, with the abilities that God blessed me with and the work I put in, I really feel like I could be a first-round pick.”

Talking about Hamilton?

True believer

BTW, I think you can bypass all the questions to access the article just by answering no to the first one.

Reaction Score
Purvis didn’t like what he heard: He was told it was highly unlikely he’d be chosen in the first round.

“It’s what you want. Some people test the water and, ‘I found out I’m a second-round pick. OK, I’ll take it,’ ” Purvis said after a workout this week at the Werth Center on the UConn campus. “To each his own. Do whatever you want to do. For me, personally, my talent level, I just believe in myself that I’m better than a second-round pick. I don’t care what anybody else says, with the abilities that God blessed me with and the work I put in, I really feel like I could be a first-round pick.”

Talking about Hamilton?

True believer

BTW, I think you can bypass all the questions to access the article just by answering no to the first one.
Be MVP at the 2017 Final Four and you will be a first rounder. I hope it happens, and we win number 5!

Reaction Score
He has an NBA body and sweet stroke but....if he wants to be a first round pick he has to finish much better at the rim.

And hit FT's and increase playmaking prowess. 1.8 assts and 65ish% from the line isn't going to cut it in the NBA.

Reaction Score
I have confidence in him. Thought last year was his year, but I do think he can put it all together. He's right too. If he has the year that he's capable of, I don't t think the first round is out of the question. Gonna be hard though. Can't remember totally, but against Kansas, he was one of the few that showed up and was makin it happen. He's ready I think.

Reaction Score
Tony Allen was the 25th overall pick. He was admittedly a lockdown defender pretty much since his rookie season. Not quite sure Rodney would be at that level entering his rookie season, but he is a much better slasher and shooter than TA so I think it more than makes up for the disparity in their perimeter defense.

Reaction Score
And hit FT's and increase playmaking prowess. 1.8 assts and 65ish% from the line isn't going to cut it in the NBA.
And improve his handle. As a 6-4 guard in the NBA he would need to handle the ball.

This has been mentioned numerous times on here, but his free throw shooting the 2nd half of the season was pretty solid. So looking at the 65% number for the season is deceiving. Hopefully whatever he was doing in the 2nd half of the season continues right through this coming season.

Reaction Score
I don't think he has an NBA body, he has a very poor wingspan and is barely 6'4 for a sg. Having said that, I do buy him being a leader on the team and maybe a steady voice ( although idk Adams seems like a more natural leader. ) I'm really surprised he turned down "early entry"last season , especially after being told he could be drafted.

Reaction Score
He shot 76% from the line after Jan 1.

Fwiw, while he has a sweet stroke it's also a low & slow release. I worry about him getting shots off against NBA length.

I like his release but not the leg kick thing he does. That's what you do if you can't get off your normal shot, but he always does it.

Reaction Score
He shot 76% from the line after Jan 1.

Fwiw, while he has a sweet stroke it's also a low & slow release. I worry about him getting shots off against NBA length.

If he can sustain 76% over the course of a season and assuming he doesn't get to the line anymore than he did as a junior, I wonder if he can touch 15 ppg.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score

There we are with the free throw myth again. We will have to wait and see if it remains fixed, but Rodney fixed his FT shooting over the exam break last season. Prior to the break, he was horrendous, shooting around 45%. From the break on, he shot 76% (50 of 66), and the improvement followed an upward path -- from the first of the year on, he shot a very respectable 80% (44 of 55), and in the post season, he shot 89% (16 of 18).

Rodney's only free throw problem after the first of the year was not getting to the line enough, because he had made himself into an above average free throw shooter, and by the post season, he was money.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
If he can sustain 76% over the course of a season and assuming he doesn't get to the line anymore than he did as a junior, I wonder if he can touch 15 ppg.
He was at 15 ppg halfway through last year, was benched for no reason (1 bad game) and his confidence and scoring slipped. Looking back to last year, benching Purvis was probably the most glaring bad move Ollie made. Should have benched Sterling and started Adams. You don't bench a guy who's production relies almost all on his confidence.

Reaction Score
There we are with the free throw myth again. We will have to wait and see if it remains fixed, but Rodney fixed his FT shooting over the exam break last season. Prior to the break, he was horrendous, shooting around 45%. From the break on, he shot 76% (50 of 66), and the improvement followed an upward path -- from the first of the year on, he shot a very respectable 80% (44 of 55), and in the post season, he shot 89% (16 of 18).

Rodney's only free throw problem after the first of the year was not getting to the line enough, because he had made himself into an above average free throw shooter, and by the post season, he was money.

You just said we'll have to see if it remains fixed, implying it isn't a myth and that there was something to fix.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Tony Allen was the 25th overall pick. He was admittedly a lockdown defender pretty much since his rookie season. Not quite sure Rodney would be at that level entering his rookie season, but he is a much better slasher and shooter than TA so I think it more than makes up for the disparity in their perimeter defense.

Tony Allen was a way better defender than Purvis is a scorer, I'm not sure this comparison works.

Reaction Score
You just said we'll have to see if it remains fixed, implying it isn't a myth and that there was something to fix.
Rodney simplified his pre shot routine by not spinning the ball prior to shooting. After that his FT % went way up.

Reaction Score
Rodney simplified his pre shot routine by not spinning the ball prior to shooting. After that his FT % went way up.

Whatever works for him. He has shown he can consistently improve his ft % but he was at 51% as a frosh at NCST. 51.8% as a frosh and 65.7% as a junior. Pretty solid improvement. Another 12% would be awesome.

Rodney Purvis

Reaction Score
Tony Allen was a way better defender than Purvis is a scorer, I'm not sure this comparison works.

Yeah, I just can't think of a closer comp who's been able to stick around.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score

You implied it was something that needed fixing, which is a whole bunch different from saying you're happy he fixed it last year and hoping it doesn't regress. Quoting the season average from last year, which had no reflection on the way he was shooting FTs for the conference season and the entire post season, and saying it's something he needs to improve is flat out wrong, and perpetuates the "Rodney can't shoot free throws" myth.

Reaction Score
Allen was a better scorer as well. Higher ts% in two years post transfer than purvis. Rodney is a very solid catch n shoot three point guy but has struggled in pretty
much every other area since getting here.the good news IMO is he doesn't need to do anything else this year (this doesn't need to be the purvis show) just be a steady hand hit shots and play solid defense.

Reaction Score
You implied it was something that needed fixing, which is a whole bunch different from saying you're happy he fixed it last year and hoping it doesn't regress. Quoting the season average from last year, which had no reflection on the way he was shooting FTs for the conference season and the entire post season, and saying it's something he needs to improve is flat out wrong, and perpetuates the "Rodney can't shoot free throws" myth.

whatever. Dude misses alot of free throws. If he wants to make the nba his rate has to be at a much better clip than it has been.

Reaction Score
Just start dunking everything like you did in High School and if you miss it then hit your FTs. Get some sportscenter top 10 plays and you are all set Rodney! Rooting for you!

Reaction Score
Huge Purvis fan myself but he doesn't project in the NBA. I think he could have a great senior year putting himself in a position to be drafted but ultimately I think he'll make a nice living somewhere overseas. Shabazz is struggling mightily, & Boat hasn't had a legitimate shot. I just don't see it for Purvis unless he makes the "Buddy Hield" jump this season that people for some reason think will happen (it won't).

EDIT: While I don't expect Rodney to be this season's Buddy Hield, I think a reasonable jump he could make is to contend for AAC POY and make AAC 1st Team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom