Purely basketball. What is the best conference for us. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Purely basketball. What is the best conference for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If only speaking in the sense of basketball - ACC or the Big 10
Big 12 is intriguing because they would probably extend the invite first but with all the infighting between Texas and the rest, I see that conference imploding at some point

Reaction Score
1. The original Big East (R.I.P.) - unnatural causes
2. The bloated Big East (R.I.P.) - literally gutted
3. The ACC (The default no brainer)
4. The NEW Big East (would feel like moving back in to your childhood home)

Reaction Score
When I think purely basketball I think the ACC. The geography is right for us, the teams are teams we know and have history with. However, the ACC has that Big East feel to it that it had after we added a bunch of teams and got big and diluted like Louisville and Cincinnati. They were great programs and helped the league but it always seemed like they didn't belong. Like they are getting too big and unwieldy and it will fall apart. Big 10 and Big 12 offer more stability it would seem but not the same geographic similarity of the ACC. It would be oddly ironic to get an ACC invite and join the league only to have it start to fall apart as some of the better football schools get pulled out into the SEC or other conferences. I could see the "core" old school ACC teams staying put and surviving that but I never though Maryland would leave either. Any league that offered us better in conference strength of schedule and better TV money would be an improvement.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Purely basketball means just that. Basketball being the only factor. Not money, not football, not network contracts.....basketball. Through that prism, ACC is obviously the answer.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Purely basketball means just that. Basketball being the only factor. Not money, not football, not network contracts.....basketball. Through that prism, ACC is obviously the answer.

I thought the question was kind of a silly one because the answer was so obvious. If you could guarantee us that the ACC (with us in it) would stay around forever and generate as much revenue as the B1G, then of course we'd want to play BASKETBALL against Duke, UNC and Cuse rather than Ohio State, Michigan and Indiana. Or more importantly, we'd rather play Clemson, VT and Wake rather than Northwestern, Penn State and Nebraska. No brainer if you read the question correctly.

If money's involved, B1G. But if the B12 offers this summer, then we go to the B12.

Reaction Score
I thought the question was kind of a silly one because the answer was so obvious. If you could guarantee us that the ACC (with us in it) would stay around forever and generate as much revenue as the B1G, then of course we'd want to play BASKETBALL against Duke, UNC and Cuse rather than Ohio State, Michigan and Indiana. Or more importantly, we'd rather play Clemson, VT and Wake rather than Northwestern, Penn State and Nebraska. No brainer if you read the question correctly.

If money's involved, B1G. But if the B12 offers this summer, then we go to the B12.
I think that's a pretty good summary. We can just go ahead and delete all the other responses in this thread. Thanks nomar!

Reaction Score

Hey hey hey Nebraska is on the rise ;)

Reaction Score
My new answer: NEITHER. B12 is the right answer.

Why? Vengeance on BC.

UConn is in the B12 when the B1G raids the ACC and takes UNC and Virginia. FSU and Clemson scamper to the B12, NC State and Virginia Tech run off to the SEC. Duke goes begging to the B1G, and maybe the B1G throws them a bone. ND and Duke join the B1G.

Syracuse, BC and Pitt look around and realize that Wake Forest is telling them, "you still have us." Syracuse and Pitt still think they have a chance for the last slot with the B12 which just added BYU, but then Miami swoops in and takes it. Louisville is resigned to reforming the ACC with Pitt, Syracuse, Wake and BC by adding USF, UCF, Memphis, Houston, Navy, Temple, and East Carolina.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
ACC... just because we would have a chance to make Duke cry every year

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Purely Basketball: ACC
Everything else: B10 and it's not close.

Reaction Score
The ACC. Which would be the best conference for us overall, too.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

It's a logical fallacy. It's impossible. I can't consider UConn basketball without considering the long term health of the overall athletic department. The two aren't separable.

Perhaps you should ask: would you prefer to play an ACC schedule or B1G, Big XII or SEC schedule, all things being equal.
I still think the Big Ten is pretty close to the ACC there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom