Punting... | The Boneyard

Punting...

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
...was abysmal. Where was Karsten? We were at the game...maybe it was discussed on TV. We had no idea who was doing the punting, but the box score shows it was Bruno Perlicki. It obviously wasn't our only issue, but it sure didn't help.
Long ride home from Michie today. Was really hoping to finish strong. Hopefully we get a bowl and show out better.

Reaction Score
Caratan had the first punt blocked. Mora addressed him on the sideline and then Perlicki started warming up. After two bad punts by Perlicki it wasn't clear to me who kicked the 4th (the radio PBP swore it was Caratan, while noting that the stat sheet had Perlicki listed as the punter on it)

Reaction Score
Season long problem. Not only punting but the punt return team as well. Letting balls hit the ground and losing yards and yards of field position. Blocks in the back and holding penalties. This was an area of weakness for the Huskies.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Caratan had the first punt blocked. Mora addressed him on the sideline and then Perlicki started warming up. After two bad punts by Perlicki it wasn't clear to me who kicked the 4th (the radio PBP swore it was Caratan, while noting that the stat sheet had Perlicki listed as the punter on it)
My bad...I spelled his name with a K and my autocorrect did the rest. I didn't think Caratan played again after the block. We didn't know if he was hurt or yanked.

Reaction Score
My bad...I spelled his name with a K and my autocorrect did the rest. I didn't think Caratan played again after the block. We didn't know if he was hurt or yanked.
My memory says he punted at least 2 more times (1really poor punt), but they tried Perlicki for a few in the 2nd half. Different punt styles.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Might’ve been a different game if not for the blocked punt TD

Reaction Score
One question, has anyone seen a punt formation that leaves the guy on the left edge completely unblocked and given a free path directly to the punter? One of the three guys blocking directly in front of the punter actually moved out of his way. This can't be the assignment, can it?

Reaction Score
One question, has anyone seen a punt formation that leaves the guy on the left edge completely unblocked and given a free path directly to the punter? One of the three guys blocking directly in front of the punter actually moved out of his way. This can't be the assignment, can it?
Army runs some weird punt formation defensively, they send more guys than our guys can block

Reaction Score
Watching the game again this morning. Blocked punt was a combination of a stupid scheme, a low snap that slowed things down and the punter taking a bit too long.

Reaction Score
Blocked punt was a combination of a stupid scheme, a low snap that slowed things down and the punter taking a bit too long.
Caratan has actually been slow all year and narrowly averted blocks on several punts in other games. Army’s ST coach did a great job in exploiting what he kept seeing on film. Get that punt off, punch in 2 TD’s from the 1 yd line with better play calling and avoid that ludicrous PI penalty and we’d be celebrating something more than a Nostical win.

Reaction Score
Caratan has actually been slow all year and narrowly averted blocks on several punts in other games. Army’s ST coach did a great job in exploiting what he kept seeing on film. Get that punt off, punch in 2 TD’s from the 1 yd line with better play calling and avoid that ludicrous PI penalty and we’d be celebrating something more than a Nostical win.

The fact that Mora was one mistake from benching Caratan, who has, frankly, been mediocre even if you don’t look at the time he takes, may explain the PWO commitment from earlier this week.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If I recall correctly, McFadden handled the punting last season. If he returns healthy enough, perhaps he returns to the punting role next season? However, I realize coaches prefer separate punters and kickers.

Reaction Score
Caratan was a backup punter, first at UCLA, then Michigan and Arkansas before we took him from the portal. I’m a nut about how valuable kickers and punters are despite all the flak they take about not being “football players”. Yesterday, all the football players on Michigan and TCU who did all the heavy lifting during the game were praying that their playoff chances wouldn’t die as their kickers took the field. They both came through. We were blessed to have Noe Ruelas ready and able to replace the injured McFadden this season. Hopefully, punting won’t hurt us in our bowl game.

Reaction Score
Watching the game again this morning. Blocked punt was a combination of a stupid scheme, a low snap that slowed things down and the punter taking a bit too long.
The real problem was the unblocked guy from the left.

Reaction Score

Yes, but if you block the guy instead of letting him free run to the punter, you get off the punt.

Reaction Score
I have not been a fan of our punt formation from game one. It does not help us and it cost us yesterday. If someone gets by the first group running down we have 3 defensive lineman that will have to make open field tackles. Not blocking the rusher from the left needs an explanation from the coaching staff. Punt team really was a big part in the loss.

Reaction Score
Might’ve been a different game if not for the blocked punt TD
Also might have been a different game 1) if Charlton had put in Millen for a few of the plays where we were just few yards from the end zone 2) had kicked the field goal instead of going for it on 4th down. Not only did we not get 3 points but we really energized Army’s defense for the rest of the game.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Also might have been a different game 1) if Charlton had put in Millen for a few of the plays where we were just few yards from the end zone 2) had kicked the field goal instead of going for it on 4th down. Not only did we not get 3 points but we really energized Army’s defense for the rest of the game.
Every time they went to Millen the last 3 games, something bad happened. Not all his fault but if it isn't working, you gotta do something else.

Reaction Score
Punt/Kick teams are taught to look inside and block the inside most threat first. The outside rushers are on the snapper and kicker to get the snap/kick off in time to beat them. As noted Caratan is slow getting off the kick.. that he hasn't had more blocked is fortunate for the Huskies.. it was a low snap, still one that should've provided adequate time to get off a kick, but that extra half beat, coupled with a slow punter was enough to get the block (and the guy who blocked the kick wasn't alone).

Reaction Score
Every time they went to Millen the last 3 games, something bad happened. Not all his fault but if it isn't working, you gotta do something else.
That’s like saying Judge struck out 3 times in a row so he’ll probably do it again. I don’t remember if it was in the last three games, maybe before that, but I do definitely remember Millen running through some defenses for 10 or 15 yards like there was no one there.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
That’s like saying Judge struck out 3 times in a row so he’ll probably do it again. I don’t remember if it was in the last three games, maybe before that, but I do definitely remember Millen running through some defenses for 10 or 15 yards like there was no one there.
Comparing anything Cale Millen to Aaron Judge is beyond a stretch. Judge is coming off an all time season and plays regularly. Millen is coming off an injury and plays infrequently.

Reaction Score
Comparing anything Cale Millen to Aaron Judge is beyond a stretch. Judge is coming off an all time season and plays regularly. Millen is coming off an injury and plays infrequently.
The point was made with reference to your quote “Every time they went to Millen the last three games something bad happened”, and you only referred to the last three games, just to make a stupid point. My point is how likely is it that something bad might happen on the 4th try, given what Millen has done the whole season. not just the last three games. My comparison to Judge is sound if he’s at his fourth at bat with three prior strikeouts.

Reaction Score
Millen did cross my mind just before we finally snuck across the goal line with Zion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom