Pull Up Jumpers.... and more... | The Boneyard

Pull Up Jumpers.... and more...

Reaction Score
1. I think Christyn Williams has the best pull up jumper since Bria Hartley, who had the best since Sue Bird. Am I missing anyone? I just wish CW would use it more -- she's deadly.

2. Obviously, we can't continue getting virtually all of our scoring from the Core Fore and be title contenders (can we?) But despite their abysmal shooting, our two "A" freshman, Anna and Aubrey, are helping in other ways. Anna had a bunch of nice assists yesterday, and Aubrey is a defensive and rebounding fool (unfortunately with a freshman propensity for turnovers). I hope they both keep shooting -- they've shown in the past that they can shoot. I believe they just need to see an outside shot or two go through the hoop to bolster their confidence a bit.

3. I believe this will be our most "challenged" team since the Chardre Houston era. I have more hope for the current team, because we have some bonafide stars would could emerge as superstars... maybe not transformational players like DT, Maya and Stewie, but superstars nonetheless. I hope it happens sooner rather than later!

4. UConn vets always say that Geno tears the team down in Nov and Dec, until they think they are one of the worst teams in the county. Then in Jan he begins building them up, until by March they believe they are one of the best. I think his job tearing down in Nov/Dec will be fairly easy this year, but building them back up will provide a huge challenge.

5. It's been said elsewhere many times, but Evina got screwed by a ridiculous and seemingly random system... and by Tennessee, who didn't oppose the waiver, but did not help, either. ("We've moved on.")

What say you?

Reaction Score
I can understand Aubrey being a little gun shy, but Anna who has played in Professional Games should be shooting and scoring. There is no excuse for Irwin who is a senior. I don't see this being a problem next year.

Reaction Score
Maya Moore's pull-up jumper is the best in women's basketball history imo. Nobody had the ability to stop on a dime, rise, and fire as quickly, beautifully, or as lethally as she did. Renee Montgomery also had a pretty good pull-up jumper.

I can understand Aubrey being a little gun shy, but Anna who has played in Professional Games should be shooting and scoring. There is no excuse for Irwin who is a senior. I don't see this being a problem next year.

No excuse for Molly either. I'm curious why Geno didn't try to play them at least for a few minutes when Anna and Aubrey were looking lost. Just a couple of minutes of someone that should have a grasp on the system (and it looked like Kyla was aware of the system in the Cal game, but reverted back to her old ways of deferring to other teammates). I hope that in the coming games they assert themselves, though if it hasn't happened by this point I can't imagine it happening at any other point this year.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
1. I think Christyn Williams has the best pull up jumper since Bria Hartley, who had the best since Sue Bird. Am I missing anyone? I just wish CW would use it more -- she's deadly.

2. Obviously, we can't continue getting virtually all of our scoring from the Core Fore and be title contenders (can we?) But despite their abysmal shooting, our two "A" freshman, Anna and Aubrey, are helping in other ways. Anna had a bunch of nice assists yesterday, and Aubrey is a defensive and rebounding fool (unfortunately with a freshman propensity for turnovers). I hope they both keep shooting -- they've shown in the past that they can shoot. I believe they just need to see an outside shot or two go through the hoop to bolster their confidence a bit.

3. I believe this will be our most "challenged" team since the Chardre Houston era. I have more hope for the current team, because we have some bonafide stars would could emerge as superstars... maybe not transformational players like DT, Maya and Stewie, but superstars nonetheless. I hope it happens sooner rather than later!

4. UConn vets always say that Geno tears the team down in Nov and Dec, until they think they are one of the worst teams in the county. Then in Jan he begins building them up, until by March they believe they are one of the best. I think his job tearing down in Nov/Dec will be fairly easy this year, but building them back up will provide a huge challenge.

5. It's been said elsewhere many times, but Evina got screwed by a ridiculous and seemingly random system... and by Tennessee, who didn't oppose the waiver, but did not help, either. ("We've moved on.")

What say you?

I say lets wait until they play 3 more games. That will give us a better sample size to evaluate instead of 1-2 games.

Reaction Score
Maya Moore's pull-up jumper is the best in women's basketball history imo. Nobody had the ability to stop on a dime, rise, and fire as quickly, beautifully, or as lethally as she did. Renee Montgomery also had a pretty good pull-up jumper.

No excuse for Molly either. I'm curious why Geno didn't try to play them at least for a few minutes when Anna and Aubrey were looking lost. Just a couple of minutes of someone that should have a grasp on the system (and it looked like Kyla was aware of the system in the Cal game, but reverted back to her old ways of deferring to other teammates). I hope that in the coming games they assert themselves, though if it hasn't happened by this point I can't imagine it happening at any other point this year.

I probably should have said "mid-range pull up jumper"... Maya pulled up for 3 pointers... or took it to the hope... I don't recall as many pull-up jumpers.... but I'm getting old, so I may have forgotten among all her other brilliance :)

Reaction Score
Here is what I have observed so far;

1. Walker can, and must, do it all every game.
2. Dangerfield looks like she is still in recovery mode, rather than 100% healthy. She is still very good.
3. Williams is hot and cold. We need her hot all the time. She missed a couple of open shots early in the second half against, Vandy, and went into a shell.
4. Olivia is definitely working toward excellence. She must hit some outside shots, or she will be left unguarded ( as yesterday ) whenever she leaves the paint. She is getting sharper and we have reason to be encouraged. But she likely won't hit greatness until next year. Defense first, then offense.
5. Anna and Aubrey will share the fifth spot all season, I would guess. Anna has to hit some of her threes to start remembering that she can do it. And everything positive Aubrey does will add to her confidence. Right now, she is a shaky, somewhat overwhelmed, freshman. Anna looks confident and is a scrapper. Both will play critical roles this season, and both can do nothing but get better.
6. Kyla and Molly are what they have always been, I guess. So Geno does not need to see them on the court.
7. The transfer from Murray State is not going to add anything. She will be a largely ineffective 1 minute replacement for Olivia.

So the issue is this; the team can be very competitive as long as they don't wear out. There are four players who, in any difficult game, will play 40 minutes each. That is a tough standard to live by. And it is noteworthy that Vanderbuilt won the fourth quarter yesterday, and our starters were still playing.

Any injury or persistent, early foul trouble, spells doom. We have a six player team, and two are freshmen who are new to the UCONN system.

We need to adjust our expectations, and enjoy watching this team develop.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

How do you explain KLS's extended slump last season???????????????????????????????????

Shooting is like putting in golf. Technique isn't enough, you have to have confidence that it is going in. Makurat is going to be great. Her defense last evening was much better. And she has very quick hands. And she is a pretty good rebounder.

The entire problem with UConn isn't talent or depth, it's execution. They simply need time to get their timing down and to eliminate unforced errors. Early in the game CD twice had wide open players under the basket but got them the ball too late. ONO had Griffin wide open and instead of passing to her hands she hit her in the feet.
There is a wealth of talent on this team and they have the best coaching staff in wcbb but they need time.

Reaction Score
How do you explain KLS's extended slump last season???????????????????????????????????

Shooting is like putting in golf. Technique isn't enough, you have to have confidence that it is going in. Makurat is going to be great. Her defense last evening was much better. And she has very quick hands. And she is a pretty good rebounder.

The entire problem with UConn isn't talent or depth, it's execution. They simply need time to get their timing down and to eliminate unforced errors. Early in the game CD twice had wide open players under the basket but got them the ball too late. ONO had Griffin wide open and instead of passing to her hands she hit her in the feet.
There is a wealth of talent on this team and they have the best coaching staff in wcbb but they need time.
The problem may be execution, as you say. But lack of depth can become a critical factor, and it can come upon us quickly. We are a six player team. Two are freshmen and new to the Uconn system. Keep your fingers crossed.

Reaction Score
I probably should have said "mid-range pull up jumper"... Maya pulled up for 3 pointers... or took it to the hope... I don't recall as many pull-up jumpers.... but I'm getting old, so I may have forgotten among all her other brilliance :)
Proof that Maya Moore has the prettiest jumper period (and this is only her sophomore year). The second highlight and the highlight around 40:23 are my two favorite. If you look back at the Baylor game from the 2010 NCAA tournament, you'll also find her taking a couple of midrange pull-up jumpers. I will admit that the majority of Maya's shots were more catch-and-shoot style, but give the woman credit for still having a lethal pull-up game.

If we're going with a player that took them more regularly then Sue Bird has to be the all-time best in UConn history followed closely by Renee Montgomery and Bria Hartley.

Also, if we extend it beyond UConn, then Seimone Augustus has to be the best midrange pull-up jump shooter in history. She uses the same move she used at LSU (and probably in her high school years) and it still manages to catch players off guard even as her speed has declined.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maya has/had the best shot in the women's game in terms of form. It was also very accurate. Her career is a huge highlight reel.

Best mid-range shot was probably Seimone's cross-over dribble followed by her jumper. The shot is flat, but insanely accurate.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom