puke coach K on calhoun | The Boneyard

puke coach K on calhoun

Status
Not open for further replies.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Nothing crazy ... just some mutual respect among the game's best coaches. I've always had a lot of respect for Coach K despite the team. Same goes for Boeheim.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
His first 3 years at Duke coach K was 38-47. This was followed by two 2nd round NCAA beat downs. Immediately after the 2nd round eliminations under coach K Duke was an NCAA finalist, sweet 16, 2 consecutive final 4's, finalist again and then finally back to back NCAA Champs 10 yrs after his tenure began. He was not handed the keys to a Rolls Royce (the parts were there though for the creation). I hate Duke as much as the next UConn fan but respect the program and the coach.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
His first 3 years at Duke coach K was 38-47. This was followed by two 2nd round NCAA beat downs. Immediately after the 2nd round eliminations under coach K Duke was an NCAA finalist, sweet 16, 2 consecutive final 4's, finalist again and then finally back to back NCAA Champs 10 yrs after his tenure began. He was not handed the keys to a Rolls Royce (the parts were there though for the creation). I hate Duke as much as the next UConn fan but respect the program and the coach.
well said. i still reserve the right to dislike their fans, and look down on the hugs.

Reaction Score
Nothing crazy ... just some mutual respect among the game's best coaches. I've always had a lot of respect for Coach K despite the team. Same goes for Boeheim.

a few yrs ago he was an invited speaker on leadership at my company. I remember go into the meeting trying to mentally reconcile my distaste for dook and what I might learn from him. He was a very good speaker and not surprisingly talked about reliance and trust of your team members for success of any enterprise. He did not talk about hugs. lol. I came away with a new found respect for what he brought in leadership and contributions to the game. Still want his team to lose, especially to us.

Reaction Score
Maybe it's the new board, but there's a freakin' love fest goin' on here!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

It is true that he was not handed the keys to a Rolls Royce. The seniors on K's first Duke team were freshman when Duke lost the title game to Kentucky (unless some transferred in which I do not believe happened). He was handed an Aston Martin in need of a new water pump, transmission, a tuneup and some minor bodywork. Yes he is among the top very few coaches of his generation and an alltime great. This deserves some praise but there hasn't been a time since the depression where the idea of Duke making a run at the national title within two or three years would have been viewed as anything but legitimate. Making that statement about UConn at any time before JC took over would have led to a psychiatric evaluation.

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score

Or, you could point out that the 3 years before he took over, Dook finished each year ranked in the top 20 and tourney results in order from '78 - '80 were Finalist, 2nd Round, Elite Eight. It may not have been a Rolls Royce, but it was at least a Caddy.

Reaction Score
O8 Thanks for posting this. Interesting perspective on Coach K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member