Pujols To The Angels

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
10 years, $260 million, full no-trade.

Reaction Score
Wow, that is a game changer. Bummer for St. Louis, but they got 2 titles out of him. I bet Terry Francona is pretty happy he didn't get/take the Cardinals managing job this AM.

In other news Battier to Miami Heat. Suprisingly I've kind of liked Battier as an NBA player (though arguably b/c I rarely have seen him), back to hating old tread-head!

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
...and now it is reported that the Angels have also signed Wilson too. So they get the two biggest FA prizes out there...#1 player and #1 pitcher. I guess the Angels weren't too happy to be left in the dust by the Rangers in the AL West!

That being said...I think they will regret the Pujols deal. They are paying maximum dollars for what he has done in the past...not what he is going to be in the future. This is Vlad Guerrero version 2. He is still a great player, but not as good as he has been and is on the downward slide of his career. He will still be a great player over the next 4 years, but not good enough to justify the $26MM/yr. Then in the last 5 years of that contract, he will be Vlad Guerrero of the past couple of years...decent player...but really hurting your team at $26MM/yr.

Reaction Score
...and now it is reported that the Angels have also signed Wilson too. So they get the two biggest FA prizes out there...#1 player and #1 pitcher. I guess the Angels weren't too happy to be left in the dust by the Rangers in the AL West!

That being said...I think they will regret the Pujols deal. They are paying maximum dollars for what he has done in the past...not what he is going to be in the future. This is Vlad Guerrero version 2. He is still a great player, but not as good as he has been and is on the downward slide of his career. He will still be a great player over the next 4 years, but not good enough to justify the $26MM/yr. Then in the last 5 years of that contract, he will be Vlad Guerrero of the past couple of years...decent player...but really hurting your team at $26MM/yr.
He just isn't worth the contract just as ARod isn't worth his. Both are great ballplayers but the contracts will come back kick both teams in the pocketbook the last years. The Angels could have signed 4-5 good players at a shorter term than for what they are paying Pujols.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Guys...the Angels just made the really short list of World Series contenders. If Albert wins his 4th and 5th with the Halos then everyone there won't give a damn about that contract.

Last year I thought the Angles were big losers coming out of the Winter Meetings and they still had a decent season (thanks Mike Scioscia). Now they hit a grand slam and look out!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom