Puerto Rican Tip Off 2014 - UConn in the field | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Puerto Rican Tip Off 2014 - UConn in the field

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hey, remember when we all mocked the Paradise Jam, and talked about how we were going to destroy that field...
First, I never said we were going to destroy anyone. But that actually makes my point. If we lose in a field like this it looks reallllly bad. If we lose to teams that are perceived to be as good if not better, then no one really cares.

Reaction Score
Naturally, I am ecstatic that UConn is going to be playing in Puerto Rico for the first time. While the field is not the best, wouldn't it be great to win it by defeating New Mexico, George Mason and BC? I would sure love to beat those three, although I would not mind playing WVU instead of UNM.

Anyways, if anyone has any questions about Puerto Rico, let me know. Hope a lot of you can make it. This is by far the easiest of the tropical destination tournaments to get to with numerous non-stop flights from JFK, EWR, BDL and BOS.

Reaction Score
Naturally, I am ecstatic that UConn is going to be playing in Puerto Rico for the first time. While the field is not the best, wouldn't it be great to win it by defeating New Mexico, George Mason and BC? I would sure love to beat those three, although I would not mind playing WVU instead of UNM.

Anyways, if anyone has any questions about Puerto Rico, let me know. Hope a lot of you can make it. This is by far the easiest of the tropical destination tournaments to get to with numerous non-stop flights from JFK, EWR, BDL and BOS.

I'm already planning the trip. After having GREAT time at the Paradise Jam last year, I won't be missing this.

Got any recommendation on where to stay. I was going to use Airbnb to find a nice place near the beach in San Juan.

Reaction Score
I'm already planning the trip. After having GREAT time at the Paradise Jam last year, I won't be missing this.

Got any recommendation on where to stay. I was going to use Airbnb to find a nice place near the beach in San Juan.

Hotels in the Greater San Juan Metropolitan area are mainly located in three different sections: Isla Verde (officially located in Carolina, where the airport is), Condado and Old San Juan. Isla Verde has two of the best hotels (Hotel San Juan and the Ritz-Carlton), but there is not a whole lot to do in the area. The benefits of staying in Old San Juan is that you can do a lot without having to rent a car or take a taxi as everything in the Old San Juan area is within walking distance. However, there are very few hotels in Old San Juan. I would recommend El Convento or the Sheraton. Condado is probably the best place to stay as there are a lot of restaurants in the area, which is walkable, and most hotels are on the beach (although the Condado beaches are certainly not the best in PR, but not bad either). In Condado I woudl recommend the Conrad, La Concha (a Renaissance Hotel) or the Marriott. Also, the new Vanderbilt Hotel, which is supposed to be outstanding, should be open by next November.

My recommendation would be to stay for a couple of days in San Juan and then for a few more days in one of the resorts outside of San Juan on the eastern part of the Island (El Conquistador, St. Regis, Wyndham Riomar) or in the islands of Culebra (Costa Bonita) and Vieques (W Hotel). Both Vieques and Culebra have beaches recognized as some of the world's best.

Reaction Score
We need to get some real powers on the schedule next year. Do a home and home with Duke or Kansas. None of these garbage preseason tournaments. The only one worth playing in is the champions classic, and we never get the invite there.

Reaction Score
We need to get some real powers on the schedule next year. Do a home and home with Duke or Kansas. None of these garbage preseason tournaments. The only one worth playing in is the champions classic, and we never get the invite there.

Uh, the Champions Classic has been held twice before.

The first CC featured Duke, Michigan St., Kentucky and Kansas
The second featured Duke, Michigan St., Kentucky and Kansas
The third featured Duke, Michigan St., Kentucky and Kansas
The fourth will feature Duke, Michigan St., Kentucky and Kansas

You think Maui isn't worth it? Maui has been the best field year after year.

By the way, these are some the teams in Puerto Rico this year: Florida St., Michigan, Kansas St., VCU, Georgetown

I think Maui, Puerto Rico, Pre-NIT, Coaches v. Cancer are all good. These are the 4 big preseason tourneys.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
The only one worth playing in is the champions classic, and we never get the invite there.
??? Maui Invitational (best tournament regardless who is playing. Youre in Maui!), Coaches v. Cancer, NIT, Old Spice Classic, Battle 4 Atlantis, Puerto Rico are all usually good. We just got a bum draw for Puerto Rico next year. This year has Kansas and VCU.

Reaction Score
And another problem with Puerto Rico Tip-Off: you can get knocked off by Charlotte and Northeastern.

Kansas St and Georgetown get to play each other, I guess.

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
Hotels in the Greater San Juan Metropolitan area are mainly located in three different sections: Isla Verde (officially located in Carolina, where the airport is), Condado and Old San Juan. Isla Verde has two of the best hotels (Hotel San Juan and the Ritz-Carlton), but there is not a whole lot to do in the area. The benefits of staying in Old San Juan is that you can do a lot without having to rent a car or take a taxi as everything in the Old San Juan area is within walking distance. However, there are very few hotels in Old San Juan. I would recommend El Convento or the Sheraton. Condado is probably the best place to stay as there are a lot of restaurants in the area, which is walkable, and most hotels are on the beach (although the Condado beaches are certainly not the best in PR, but not bad either). In Condado I woudl recommend the Conrad, La Concha (a Renaissance Hotel) or the Marriott. Also, the new Vanderbilt Hotel, which is supposed to be outstanding, should be open by next November.

My recommendation would be to stay for a couple of days in San Juan and then for a few more days in one of the resorts outside of San Juan on the eastern part of the Island (El Conquistador, St. Regis, Wyndham Riomar) or in the islands of Culebra (Costa Bonita) and Vieques (W Hotel). Both Vieques and Culebra have beaches recognized as some of the world's best.

Thanks so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#