PSU takes a step forward with Sporting News Ranking | The Boneyard

PSU takes a step forward with Sporting News Ranking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Second in the Big Ten and lost in the second round of the NCAAs To DePaul.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I agree for the moment but if they play to their promise and ability it will not be far off. They lost only one player off of last year's team. They have tremendous upside now is the time to step up. Washington has them playing a fun style of basketball and it is fun to watch, too.

tigger

LSU Tigger
Reaction Score
I agree for the moment but if they play to their promise and ability it will not be far off. They lost only one player off of last year's team. They have tremendous upside now is the time to step up. Washington has them playing a fun style of basketball and it is fun to watch, too.

Their starters do look good on paper, but let's face it---the Big 10 didn't offer a lot of resistance last season. I've looked and looked...found skeds for 2008-09 backward, (found this in "History" in the 2008-09 Yearbook on the Lady Lions specific page) but not the last two years, so I must admit that I don't know what kind of OOC sked they played last year. I have to say I'm a bit surprised that they don't even have last years sked online.

Of course our media being what they are, and my living in the Deep South, I think I saw part of one PSU "whip-around" coverage game last year in NCAA. Not lots of chances to see B1G teams down here. Had Direct TV, which had the Big Ten Network, but switched to DISH, because it carries the Cox Sport Network. It carries the Hornets, LSU "other" sports---baseball (main reason we changed), some WBB, gym., track, softball---you get the picture. It also carries state high school football games, and VB playoffs, etc. Well anyway, you probably can see why we changed.

Until and if WBB gets a bigger fan base outside of UT, UConn, TX Tech (who, although they sell out, they're in a "non-market" out there in the Texas Tundra) and such, the media just don't see the $$$$, so we get what we get.

Actually I did think the Women's Tourney was covered better than the Men's last year with ESPN dedicating at least 2, sometimes 3 (rarely) channels, while the men had CBS period if I recall.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You need the Big Ten network. It is on the satellites with Dish and DirecTV. The Big Ten has been weak overall but PSU is on the mend from the destructive end of the Rene Portland years and is moving steadily forward. Washington is doing a good job getting in the door with top talent and staying deep into final lists for some great recruits among them Breanna Stewart, B. Laney, Liz Williams. She has picked up players like Maggie Lucas and Alex Bentley and good transfers like Mia Nickson and Dara Taylor. Next year they will have 3 players over 6'4". The proof will need to come on the cout but it should be a great season.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Their starters do look good on paper, but let's face it---the Big 10 didn't offer a lot of resistance last season. I've looked and looked...found skeds for 2008-09 backward, (found this in "History" in the 2008-09 Yearbook on the Lady Lions specific page) but not the last two years, so I must admit that I don't know what kind of OOC sked they played last year. I have to say I'm a bit surprised that they don't even have last years sked online.
Check out CollegeRPI

I can't link to the specific page, but pick the school from the drop down box, then use the other season drop down if you want something other than the most recent year.

tigger

LSU Tigger
Reaction Score
Check out CollegeRPI

I can't link to the specific page, but pick the school from the drop down box, then use the other season drop down if you want something other than the most recent year.

thanks, forgot all about that and I use that site alot---not a real bruiser of a schedule was it, when TX Tech was your biggie?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
No, but given where PSU had been after RP blew up the program that is to be expected. The team was "extremely" young, 9 players were freshman or sophomores, and Washington used wisdom in bringing them along suing some solid, not elite programs. All those freshmaen and sophomores are back and 6'5" Tori Waldner was added giving strong backup for Nikki Green who is very strong in the middle but given to fouls. RPI was only .5995. As I said in the earlier post I do think #12 is too high but a expect they may well end up near that position and expect them to exceed it next year. Dayton made the tournament and UConn will play them this year. Green Bay, South Carolina, and Boston College are all good programs plus Hartford who made the tournament as well. All solid competition but not at the elite level.

tigger

LSU Tigger
Reaction Score
Bear, my DISH doesn't carry the B1G Network, but DIRECT TV does.

I agree that CW has done a marvelous job---she started out by taking Nikki away from us;)---and hasn't stopped. I think they'll win the B1G, but aren't top 12 material. But if they do it, they'll get the ranking. But please:D, they really got daring with that OOC schedule didn't they? If she wants to be taken really seriously, she has to work on that. And you can't realistically expect their B1G mates to have really high RPI's---it's all a SOS killer...but they will have that ranking

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Rebuilding schedules takes time. I was hoping for it to improve this year and was disappointed it didn't make more of a jump. I keep hoping for a home and home with UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom