PSU HC Micah Shrewsberry to Notre Dame | The Boneyard

PSU HC Micah Shrewsberry to Notre Dame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Oh I see, Micah didn't pull an Ed Cooley and recruit players to Notre Dame while coaching Penn State.

Reaction Score
I went to ped state no one cares about BBall. Good for shrewsbury. Too bad prov settled for a garbage hire.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Oh I see, Micah didn't pull an Ed Cooley and recruit players to Notre Dame while coaching Penn State.
My immediate reaction was that this was a lateral move. I've felt that if PSU ever had a great hoops coach, that guy could be prince to whomever the HCFB is. There's latent desire in State College for a winner. Interest in football among students is waning while interest in hoops is increasing (not just PSU, but a generational thing).

But on closer inspection, PSU is losing 5 superseniors who accounted for 64.5% of minutes and 65% of points.. 2023-4 is almost a rebuild.

His son is a 4-star SG, and I'd guess he'll go with dad. They also have an ESPN 100 center whom I suppose we'll be hearing from shortly.

But unlike Cooley, I don't think Shrewsberry really has much to offer ND regarding roster additions.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Meh.

He had a roster of 30 year olds and finished 10-10 in the Big Ten. There’s nothing special with anything he’s done.

I’m guessing McDermott said no.

Reaction Score
My immediate reaction was that this was a lateral move. I've felt that if PSU ever had a great hoops coach, that guy could be prince to whomever the HCFB is. There's latent desire in State College for a winner. Interest in football among students is waning while interest in hoops is increasing (not just PSU, but a generational thing).

But on closer inspection, PSU is losing 5 superseniors who accounted for 64.5% of minutes and 65% of points.. 2023-4 is almost a rebuild.

His son is a 4-star SG, and I'd guess he'll go with dad. They also have an ESPN 100 center whom I suppose we'll be hearing from shortly.

But unlike Cooley, I don't think Shrewsberry really has much to offer ND regarding roster additions.
This type of school screams Kimani to me for a launch. But not yet!!!! He has to wait til the entire season is over.

Reaction Score

Not like ND is a Basketball school.

Penn State? IDK...seems as if that whole athletic ship has sailed.

Reaction Score
It’s like going to become the CEO of AOL or GE. Would’ve been nice. 25 years ago.

Reaction Score
He’s from Indiana and his first HC gig was actually at IU South Bend so it’s a homecoming for him. So from that standpoint it’s a great hire for ND.

I do agree it’s hard to tell how good he actually is as this year they had the oldest team in college basketball and were still only just average. Was only year 2 so won’t really hold that against him as years 3 and 4 would have been the true test.

With that said, you have to appreciate how his teams play, both in terms of toughness and style. I think his “NBA style” offense will be attractive the right recruits at ND and with the coaching legends retired the ACC is winnable every year. Feel like it’s a lot easier to get a basketball player to South Bend than Happy Valley even if both are football schools.

Also I’ve always said being the basketball HC at a big-time football school is the best job. All the resources you need but limited pressure as long as you’re competitive. Anything above that is bonus. Smart for

Reaction Score

It’s definitely a better basketball job. Basketball is a total afterthought at PSU at every level, and to your point, he needed to take what was available now since he’s losing essentially his entire rotation. There’s a decent shot they would have been back to a doormat and no guarantees his profile would ever be as high as it is now.

Reaction Score

Curious where you're getting this all from? Interest among students is waning? They average 107,000 fans per football game.

The basketball program is one of the worst P6 jobs in the country. A lot of competition for recruits, no history, and no support. Shrewsberry was begging fans to come out to support the team earlier this season.

Reaction Score
Larry Culp has made over $30 million the last couple years at GE. Tough gig
That is correct. I am not saying the money isn’t there. Just the company is no longer one of the titans of industry

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Curious where you're getting this all from? Interest among students is waning? They average 107,000 fans per football game.

The basketball program is one of the worst P6 jobs in the country. A lot of competition for recruits, no history, and no support. Shrewsberry was begging fans to come out to support the team earlier this season.

Media, mostly. As PSU alumni are always quick to point out: "You know where the highest concentration of PSU alum live? That's right, Pittsburgh."

The BBall squad actually started making waves in these parts for the first time in forever. Prior to this season, sports radio wouldn't even include their scores in hourly updares, while always including Duquesne and RMU along with Pitt.

Reaction Score
Was there a risk he would leave Creighton for ND? Seems like a lateral move at best.
Worse than that if you believe that the ACC is a conference whose best days are behind it. At least at Penn State you'd have job security and coach in a conference that's flush with cash.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Was there a risk he would leave Creighton for ND? Seems like a lateral move at best.
Notre Dave would’ve played “name your price,” also McDermott and the AD don’t exactly see eye to eye. All I know his people were contacted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom