PSU E-mail scandal | The Boneyard

PSU E-mail scandal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I can't link from my phone, but I recommended taking a moment to visit CNN or ESPN to read the early release of excerpts from the PSU emails....as hard as it seems, this may actually get worse.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
No one saw this coming.

First one to die was always going to be the fall guy.

"According to the report, emails between former Penn State officials Tim Curley, Gary Schultz and Graham Spanier show the trio initially planned to tell authorities about the allegations against Sandusky, who was convicted on 45 of 48 charges against him last week. However, the three men opted not to alert authorities after speaking with "Joe," according to the report. "After giving it more thought and talking it over with Joe yesterday, I am uncomfortable with what we agreed were the next steps. I am having trouble with going to everyone, but the person involved," read one of the emails, according to CNN.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...hanged-emails-jerry-sandusky-allegations-2001

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
No one saw this coming.

First one to die was always going to be the fall guy.

"According to the report, emails between former Penn State officials Tim Curley, Gary Schultz and Graham Spanier show the trio initially planned to tell authorities about the allegations against Sandusky, who was convicted on 45 of 48 charges against him last week. However, the three men opted not to alert authorities after speaking with "Joe," according to the report. "After giving it more thought and talking it over with Joe yesterday, I am uncomfortable with what we agreed were the next steps. I am having trouble with going to everyone, but the person involved," read one of the emails, according to CNN.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...hanged-emails-jerry-sandusky-allegations-2001

So you are saying that the emails are forged? That "Joe" wasn't a part of it and they were made "after the fact"??

Look, I just read about the emails a minute ago and I have no information beyond what is on that ESPN page, but let me say this; for those who think that Joe Paterno knew nothing about this, you are kidding yourselves. To me, it's that simple.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So you are saying that the emails are forged? That "Joe" wasn't a part of it and they were made "after the fact"??

Look, I just read about the emails a minute ago and I have no information beyond what is on that ESPN page, but let me say this; for those who think that Joe Paterno knew nothing about this, you are kidding yourselves. To me, it's that simple.

Good questions and I'll try to clarify.

No. I believe this was all available for anyone to investigate all the way back to 2001. There's a lot of guilty parties that took part of the cover ups. I honestly believe there's a paper trail that could and should bury all these jackasssssess.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Good questions and I'll try to clarify.

No. I believe this was all available for anyone to investigate all the way back to 2001. There's a lot of guilty parties that took part of the cover ups. I honestly believe there's a paper trail that could and should bury all these jackasssssess.

Agreed. I think there are a lot of people involved in this one who should be seeing the other side of prison bars. I hope that some measure of justice can be carried out.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Agreed. I think there are a lot of people involved in this one who should be seeing the other side of prison bars. I hope that some measure of justice can be carried out.

If by justice you mean they are perpetually on the receiving end of John Holmes and Peter North both shooting the A gap, I agree.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Anyone who didn't think Paterno knew
was fooling themselves. The Sally Jenkins article is probably the most pathetic thing I've read in my life. Where is Jay Paterno now?

It's funny that you bring that up, because Jay Paterno was one of the first people I thought of when I read about the new emails. I suspect you won't be hearing a heck of a lot from him anytime soon...

Reaction Score
Anyone who didn't think Paterno knew
was fooling themselves. The Sally Jenkins article is probably the most pathetic thing I've read in my life. Where is Jay Paterno now?

I suspected that the officials were derelict, but this is far beyond that. Joe Paterno is the worst of them.

Either Sally Jenkins is naive and foolish, or she is a total hack and a shill. I think she is the last person on the planet that still thinks Lance Armstrong was clean.

Reaction Score
Of course Joe knew. Despite what some want you to believe, he covered it up to protect his football program. Was it a violation of NCAA policy? Who knows. I'm not sure what their policy is on ethics. I doubt the NCAA is clear on what their policy is around ethics. They're to busy suspending players for a few games while they investigate trumped up allegations from a jilted ex-boyfriend of the kids mother.

IMO, PSU football has earned itself a severe penalty. Not the DP, but something real (no TV and a bowl ban for a few years, reduction in scholarships that makes USC look like a slap on the wrist, something that gets eveybodys attention).

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Of course Joe knew. Despite what some want you to believe, he covered it up to protect his football program. Was it a violation of NCAA policy? Who knows. I'm not sure what their policy is on ethics. I doubt the NCAA is clear on what their policy is around ethics. They're to busy suspending players for a few games while they investigate trumped up allegations from a jilted ex-boyfriend of the kids mother.

IMO, PSU football has earned itself a severe penalty. Not the DP, but something real (no TV and a bowl ban for a few years, reduction in scholarships that makes USC look like a slap on the wrist, something that gets eveybodys attention).

I'd like to see them do something to Miami first. It's now been over a year or more since the allegations came out about the donor....what has the NCAA done??? A whole lot of nothing. Funny though that they were so quick to re-suspend Boatright last season over charges that no one knew about.....Penn St deserves some kind of punishment beyond what it's received already from public perception. However, I'm not holding my breath on it coming anytime soon from the NCAA....I guess they don't want to make an example out of PSU like they seem to wanna do with UConn basketball.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Joe could have put a stop to this. He could have prevented others from being molested. He chose not to. Sickening.

For that matter, everyone invovled could have put a stop to it, and it's all the more sickening that so many people chose to ignore something so horrible.

But for anyone to ever praise JoePa's name again... would make me want to punch that person in the face. You don't get to be praised when you choose to cover these awful acts up.

Reaction Score
There are so many things about this that I simply cannot reconcile.

How the was this monster able to sit in the President's box at Beaver Stadium a week before his arrest last year? On Oct 29, 2011 this is exactly what happened. Just unbelievable.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I suspected that the officials were derelict, but this is far beyond that. Joe Paterno is the worst of them.

Either Sally Jenkins is naive and foolish, or she is a total hack and a shill. I think she is the last person on the planet that still thinks Lance Armstrong was clean.

Good point. I thought it was just because of her father and Joe, but clearly they realized she is easily duped.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
This is what happens when people in power care more about maintaining the image of the institution they work for and protecting their friends than they do about protecting victims. There is nothing unusual about Penn State in this regard. Sadly, it has happened over and over again in history. To make matters worse, the people engaged in the coverup are rarely punished. I truly hope that the jerks at Penn State who knew about Sandusky's activities, but chose to remain silent, will end up behind bars.

Reaction Score
This may constitute new evidence - I don't know. But, it certainly doesn't come as any surprise to me or I suspect most folks.

That the leaders of this institution, including a famed coach who supposedly epitomized what true character was to be all about, failed so totally in living up to a minimum moral and ethical standard - that was quite shocking. But, I, like most people, had reached that conclusion a long time ago.

For those looking for meaningful sanctions either throught the NCAA or self imposed against the PSU football program.....forget about it. It would take great leadership and courage, and there is none of that in either of those institutions.

Remember, at its core, this travesty is simply about individuals and an instiution that placed their football programs ability to win football games ABOVE that of the safety of children. It's that pathetic......

Reaction Score
I haven't weighed in on this subject, because honestly I find the whole thing so friggin revolting that I don't know what I could say that already hasn't been said.

Sandusky and Paterno got their just desserts (pending appeal by Sandusky, which really pi$$es me off). The other clowns will get theirs.

I am solidly on the fence with instituting any sort of Death Penalty for PSU, with both sides having valid points. I really hope the university self-imposes some stiff penalties (or the NCAA grows a set and does it), but I guess I'm wondering that there is a precedent or even rules in place to kill the program.

Edit: Not that I think PSU will self-impose anything. I know that is wishful thinking.

Reaction Score
I'm disgusted with myself for ever giving Paterno the benefit of the doubt...that he was somehow being persecuted for only doing what he had to do, and not going further to do what he should have done. These emails say different.
That pathetic, old, lying pedofile enabler knew what was up all along. And now theres a devastating rumor going around that The Second Mile charity was basically a playpen for twisted Penn State boosters with money.
Think about that disgusting premise for a second.
Paterno and the rest of them can rot in hell.:mad:

Reaction Score
From day one when this news broke I always felt that Paterno thought he could reign Sandusky in with a "stern" talking to. He was a dinosaur, and his generation just didn't talk about these things openly. Whatever his motivation, whether it was to protect a "friend" or a football program was wrong, and he should of known better

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Emotions folks. This story was broken by CNN, so unless you read their report, you are already not as informed as you could be. The CNN article states," CNN does not have the purported e-mails. However, the alleged contents were made available to CNN." I have no idea what that means but, they admit to not having seen the actual emails. I'll let any journalism ethicists decide if this was approprite to publish.

Let me be clear, I am not defending anyone or anything other than due process. While generally subscribing to Occum's Razor, eventually this will all come out. I'll continue to wait before setting myself on fire in anger.

Do I believe there is a trail of emails providing evidence of a coverup? Absolutely, email is the DNA evidence of the 21st century, I am surprised any organization still uses it. Do I have any idea what they say? No, not a clue. Nor do I have any insight as to who was involved and how deep. The "Joe" reference is a third hand account of zero consequence at this point. The conversation could have ranged from a briefing on how the University decided to handle the situation, to soliciting his input, to Joe lobbying for a cover-up, to an intern hearing a half a phone call with a name drop. Lies, misinformation, and spin are being put out by lawyers, officials, defendants, gadflies, hangers on, speculators, and activists. Nothing that isn't backed up by hard evidence should be taken as fact or even likely. We have entered the fog of scandal, litigation, and crisis management, and it's a pea-souper. Only sunlight can burn off the haze.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
What this story does show is the power of institutionalization and the culture of those running institutions to defend them as a fundemental function of their job. Colleges, corporations, businesses, hospitals, government organizations, non-profits, lobbyists, they all have an ingrained sense of detachment when it comes to looking at ethics because it's their job to {insert organizational goals here} whether that is profit, reputation, politics, share price, etc. We've had major ethical lapses from most of our institutions in the past couple of decades. The banking crisis, Enron, a whole host of political scandals all followed the same pattern, putting short term interests over doing what's right. This episode at Penn State is among the worst, because they were in no real danger of being associated with an ex-coach if they reported what they knew, when they knew it.

As a study in the human condition, it's fascinating. As a real life event, it's disgusting.

Reaction Score
What this story does show is the power of institutionalization and the culture of those running institutions to defend them as a fundemental function of their job. Colleges, corporations, businesses, hospitals, government organizations, non-profits, lobbyists, they all have an ingrained sense of detachment when it comes to looking at ethics because it's their job to {insert organizational goals here} whether that is profit, reputation, politics, share price, etc. We've had major ethical lapses from most of our institutions in the past couple of decades. The banking crisis, Enron, a whole host of political scandals all followed the same pattern, putting short term interests over doing what's right. This episode at Penn State is among the worst, because they were in no real danger of being associated with an ex-coach if they reported what they knew, when they knew it.

As a study in the human condition, it's fascinating. As a real life event, it's disgusting.

I really wish I could say you are wrong, but I can't with any assurance. I guess I hope the (uncovered) cover-ups represent a small percentage of cases and that when faced with moral and ethical crisis the majority of those in authority take the high road. Again, I can't with any assurance.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I really wish I could say you are wrong, but I can't with any assurance. I guess I hope the (uncovered) cover-ups represent a small percentage of cases and that when faced with moral and ethical crisis the majority of those in authority take the high road. Again, I can't with any assurance.

In my mind, it's not even a question. All you have to do is look around to find examples of the perceived stakes of a situation dominating whatever one's ethical duties might require. My biggest fear is that we are still speeding in the wrong direction on this. Political pundits outright lying, businesses ripping off consumers, whistleblowers attacked by the public, and people in power over the smallest endevour using their position for their own selfish ends. Heck, TV has joined in to promote these behaviors. Every reality show promotes bitebiting, sabotage, deception for some cash and a few minutes of fame. At the end of every Survivor season, the "winner" cops to "playing the game" and is even lauded for it by those vanquished. This is a reflection of ourselves.

Now I believe myself to be not part of that group, don't we all. Even though I have battle scars to support this claim, I can not know for sure how I would react in any of these circumstances. I just know I don't like it and must actively try to recognized these types of situations and act in a manner where I can live with myself. Hopefully, we all can and do.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
From day one when this news broke I always felt that Paterno thought he could reign Sandusky in with a "stern" talking to. He was a dinosaur, and his generation just didn't talk about these things openly. Whatever his motivation, whether it was to protect a "friend" or a football program was wrong, and he should of known better
I personally believe that over the last dozen or so years that Joe Pa coached his only motivation was to last longer than Bobby Bowden (and therefore end up with the all time record for wins). If these emails are legitimate (my gut feeling is that they are and it will not take long for qualified people to either verify or debunk them) the aftermath will be worse than what Oklahoma suffered in the late 1980's (it took nearly a decade to become competitive at an Oklahoma Football level again).

Just when you think that we've looked under the rock with the most repulsive things hiding beneath it, we find out that there is yet another rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom