P's Tenure | Page 2 | The Boneyard

P's Tenure

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Sept 22nd - Fire Paul Pasqualoni Day.
I prefer to be 2-1 and not have to fire him just yet, but if 0-3 he must go, and the Fire PP Day should "publicly" be Monday, Sept 23rd (let's have JC have his own day on 22) -- of course, hand the keys over to the interim coach on the evening of Sept 21.

Reaction Score
Fire him now. Fire him today! Why wait until after the Michigan game? He should have been gone after last Christmas. It was a huge mistake on the part of WM. I don't care if we win or lose next two games, both PP and GDL need to pack up and hit the road. I am sure they are nice guys but they suck as football coaches.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I think PP and GDL at one time were conjoined twins attached at the hip.

It's my hunch that GDL is a big part of the problem. And, if that's the case, P has to be held responsible. I am sure that if P goes, GDL goes along with him.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Does writing this stuff make you all feel good? I honestly don't see how writing crap like this helps anything.
Says the guy with over 4,000 posts. Last I checked this was a UConn message board and I don't think anything written on this board helps anything but allowing each person to vent or express their opinions in their own way. We're not changing the world here -- we're all just spewing crap and that's fun sometimes, right?

Reaction Score
I can see Warde being mad if we get blown out the next 2 games and telling P he is done after the season...but to fire him in season without a scandal seems to be a bit of stretch. Thing I want to know is this..if indeed it is true what becomes of GDL? Does he go as well?
The only thing "scandalous" is the performance. That said, I agree. There would be little utility in firing midseason. The last best chance to make a change and statement was last week. Feel really bad for the players stuck with these clueless codgers.

Reaction Score
It's my hunch that GDL is a big part of the problem. And, if that's the case, P has to be held responsible. I am sure that if P goes, GDL goes along with him.

All known well before last December. Warde -- who I think left to his own devices would have pulled the trigger then -- tried to put a band-aid on it by hiring TJ. But based on Towson, A, whatever coaching the offensive line is getting still isn't working (despite the passionate defense of it in a certain media venue yesterday morning, which I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned on this board yet); B, TJ doesn't have a 100 percent free hand. The "turtling" after an early crisp, successful drive is very much alive. Dont think that's in TJ's playbook.

C

Chief00

Warde's silence after Towson debacle is deafening if you are Coach P. The downward trajectory must at least be stabilized; sooner rather than later.

Reaction Score
If they fire him, then you know how desperate UConn's admins are.

Mind you, I don't think it would be a bad decision. But it would show desperation.

Reaction Score
P's failure are well documented. If Connecticut had a press corps that gave a darn, P would have been put on a spit and roasted since the Vandy game in his first year. But the news guys are so passive and compliance they are still giving him cover.

Reaction Score

Mind you, I don't think it would be a bad decision. But it would show desperation.

or it would just be showing a pulse. Doing nothing is not smart nor prudent, it is cowardice.

Reaction Score

Not really.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I don't think it shows desperation to fire Pasqualoni now. I think it shows a desire to improve upon and invest in our football program...which is somewhat of a negative perception UCONN has in CR eyes. Unless we hire Greg Robinson or George DeLeone as his replacement, UCONN's "safe" hire not only turned off UCONN fans, but it turned off the ACC, B1G, and any other football conference that was once considering inviting us. Let's just hope that Larry McHugh and the CT high school coaches don't turn Warde into a puppet with his hire like they did with weakboy Hathaway.

Reaction Score
But the news guys are so passive and compliant they are still giving him cover.

The media "interactive" event yesterday is example No. 1. If you thought PP threw Whitmer/Hemingway under the bus, that was nothing compared to the way players (OLine) got trashed in defense of GDL . Just like last year. Don't see 5 guys getting drafted from this team but really hoping maybe one of those guys does.

Reaction Score
P's failure are well documented. If Connecticut had a press corps that gave a darn, P would have been put on a spit and roasted since the Vandy game in his first year. But the news guys are so passive and compliance they are still giving him cover.
I don't actually think that's the problem. I think there is something else going on. Actually a few somethings. First, I think they genuinely like the guy. I met him in a store fairly late at night and he couldn't have been nicer. I was killing time waiting to pick up someone at a meeting and saw him and asked about the team. He is a genuinely nice man. The second thing is he is a local guy and I really think that most reporters hoped he would succeed. There was a certain amount of pride in his success at Syracuse in the local sports media. I think some of that remains, too. Third, I do believe that some of them agree that our recruiting under Edsall was sub-par. So they bought his no talent argument. Whatever he was, Edsall was an excellent talent evaluator. But the local press wants stars just like the fans do.

Reaction Score
I don't actually think that's the problem. I think there is something else going on. Actually a few somethings. First, I think they genuinely like the guy. I met him in a store fairly late at night and he couldn't have been nicer. I was killing time waiting to pick up someone at a meeting and saw him and asked about the team. He is a genuinely nice man. The second thing is he is a local guy and I really think that most reporters hoped he would succeed. There was a certain amount of pride in his success at Syracuse in the local sports media. I think some of that remains, too. Third, I do believe that some of them agree that our recruiting under Edsall was sub-par. So they bought his no talent argument. Whatever he was, Edsall was an excellent talent evaluator. But the local press wants stars just like the fans do.

Good post.

As far as the talent thing goes, I don't think the press or the average fan knows the first thing about talent. I think the recruiting sites offer a simple way to "evaluate" talent so that's what folks are drawn to. Yet, right before their eyes they see kids like Butler, Branch, Donald Brown, Easley, Sio.......... and they don't really believe they are top talents until someone in the NFL pays those players a lot of money.

Classic example. Jerrell Miller comes to UCONN and in the spring game folks are "wow" what a talent. Kid was grossly oversized at that point for LB and, frankly, on his best day wasn't the football player Lansanah was. Folks continue to put way too much emphasis on the recruiting sites imo.

Reaction Score
The "nice guy" thing is a great observation. PP may be on auto coach-speak 100 percent of the time, but he treats the press a lot better than Randy did -- an RE flaw that was exposed in a bigger media market, but also turns the press' first instinct to protect PP.

More than that though, PP IMO is nowhere near as tough on the players as Randy was. RE was probably a little over the top, especially when he got to Maryland, but the pendulum has swung too far in the opposite direction. Moe Petrus said before the 2011 season that PP "treats us like men". Sadly, when you give 18-22 year olds an inch, they're going to take a mile. Not that UConn is Miami 1990, but the sideline discipline/organization is definitely more lax under PP.

Hopefully the next coach will have "the edge" needed to succeed (see Calhoun, James etc etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom