Providence Postgame Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Providence Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
We clearly need something. An extra 10 FGA for the other team is not good. We are turning the ball over a lot. It is unacceptable. It's not like we are getting a ton of half court scoring opportunities either. We need that offensive rebounding and we need fewer turnovers. I'm fine with trying Azzi. I think she would have more scoring opportunities and it's hard to believe she would be worse. We can't keep shooting over 50% every game in order to win even against Big East teams.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I haven't read the entire thread yet so perhaps this has been covered but this game, like most this season, was about rebounding and turnovers. UConn's deficiencies in those areas let Providence get 11 more FG attempts with the FT's being equal.
Using points per shot attempt and making the shot attempts even extrapolates to a UConn win of between 20-25 points.
If somehow UConn was really good in those areas and flipped the FGA difference to + 11 the extrapolated spread would've been UConn +36.5.
Those aren't the only two issues keeping this team from being elite, but they are the biggest ones: rebounding and the ability to pass and execute without turnovers.
@Sluconn Husky I would add a third- The inability to defend without fouling. This has always been one of the hallmarks of good UCONN teams and the better UCONN teams routinely led the nation. This UCONN team is ranked 43rd nationally. There are three BE team SH, St John's, & Marquette ranked ahead of UCONN in this category. For the season UCONN is only a +3 between fouls drawn and fouls committed.

Reaction Score
@Sluconn Husky I would add a third- The inability to defend without fouling. This has always been one of the hallmarks of good UCONN teams and the better UCONN teams routinely led the nation. This UCONN team is ranked 43rd nationally. There are three BE team SH, St John's, & Marquette ranked ahead of UCONN in this category. For the season UCONN is only a +3 between fouls drawn and fouls committed.

Speaking of fouls, just how many times during the course of a season does a player need to be called for a 2 shot foul for swatting down challenging a shot to finally learn to challenge shots vertically? While I wholeheartedly agree with your points on fouling, that isn’t the only fundamental that goes begging with this squad. Blocking out is only a suggestion to several players, along with the number of defenders who allow their player to get their head and shoulders by them off the bounce. I am not being negative, just observing things that are not typical of a program that has long prided itself on being fundamentally sound on the defensive end, and able to execute all of the above without sending the opposition to the line. It must frustrate the staff, but they’re not alone because in today’s world it has become much harder to get players to buy into the little things that build a disciplined player and team.

JMO

Reaction Score
My theory is that Evina is fighting off an injury or other issue and gutting it out for the team. She is a half-step slower than the beginning of the year and has noticeably less energy.
Regarding Nika, I have a similar thought regarding an injury. Its not just her offensive skills that have declined, but her defense has been average at best. While she was always a physical player, she is grabbing and holding on every defensive play. Sort of like a football cornerback who knows they were beaten by the wide receiver and hangs on, hoping the ref misses the foul.
I think what is happening with E is not physical. It could be, of course, but I think something has happened that has taken away her desire/zest for the game. Up until recently (last month or so) even when she didn’t play particularly well, I never felt she was disengaged or disinterested. Now I do. As for Nika, that was simply inexplicable! I’m shocked to see her play that poorly. I’ve never been one of those who saw her as some leader/point guard extraordinaire but I always felt she was an excellent backup who brought great energy and intensity into the game. ONO is another frustrating situation! I felt she had really turned some things around but has regressed again!

I don’t know, maybe Dorka going down was just too much for some of them. All we can do is hope that Geno & CD can get their heads right and “endeavor to persevere” til Paige gets back. I truly believe she will cure a lot of the issues with this team. Color me still hopeful but admittedly it’s getting more difficult to feel that way. Whatever is happening, I just hope all of these fine young women can get their mojo back (win or lose) and have a happy/fun rest of the season!

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I think what is happening with E is not physical. It could be, of course, but I think something has happened that has taken away her desire/zest for the game. Up until recently (last month or so) even when she didn’t play particularly well, I never felt she was disengaged or disinterested. Now I do. As for Nika, that was simply inexplicable! I’m shocked to see her play that poorly. I’ve never been one of those who saw her as some leader/point guard extraordinaire but I always felt she was an excellent backup who brought great energy and intensity into the game. ONO is another frustrating situation! I felt she had really turned some things around but has regressed again!

I don’t know, maybe Dorka going down was just too much for some of them. All we can do is hope that Geno & CD can get their heads right and “endeavor to persevere” til Paige gets back. I truly believe she will cure a lot of the issues with this team. Color me still hopeful but admittedly it’s getting more difficult to feel that way. Whatever is happening, I just hope all of these fine young women can get their mojo back (win or lose) and have a happy/fun rest of the season!
IRT my prior post of all the "hits" that the team has taken over the last few months, I wonder if the realization that a NC is not as tangible as it looked to be after last season, when E declared she was returning with "unfinished business" and when we all thought that the roster looked deep and loaded. Imagine the weight. IMHO.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom