Providence Post Game Thread. | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Providence Post Game Thread.

Reaction Score
What is NEWBIE?
The NEW BIg East Conference. It was formed in August 2013 when the Catholic 7 elected to split from the football schools and for a new league with 3 mid-majors. It bought the name from the original Big East (aka the Big East or the real Big East). which may have been the best basketball conference ever assembled at the collegiate level. Had 7 National Chsmpionships won by 5 different schools. Had multiple teams in the Final Four 5 times, had at least 1 Final Four team 18 times, and regularly had 6-8 teams in the Top 25. I mean how do you have half the league in the Top 25 when they have to play each other? One year, 1985, 3 of the Final Four were from the Big East. A fourth team lost in overtime in its Elite 8 game.

Reaction Score
Lol at PC fans complaining about officiating. The refs kept them in the game by creating a foul fest. UConn never got rolling because of the way the game was called.

Reaction Score
My opinion, I hate all versions of flopping and head jerks, and jumping into defenders when they are already in the air, as if it's some super intelligent basketball play, but that's me. I also hate stupid gimmicks like the hidden ball trick in baseball. Play and win straight up. What really bothers me is that refs, allegedly, watch much more basketball than I do and they can't figure out what a real foul is.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I was at last night's game, which I thought would never end. There is contact on every play that could be called a foul. The grabbing and bumping on players without the ball is much more evident in person.
The best thing about being in Gampel is seeing how much fun the students have, and the banners. The bench seats and parking, not so much. Another plus is not having to listen to Donny Marshall. What's his beef with UCONN?
Castle's defense on Carter was next level. Also, before the game in shoot around, he doesn't miss. His stroke is there, and as he gets more confidence, watch out.
Most of the bad calls were by refs, not in a position to make a call. A outside ref, can not see a ball strip or an arm hack that's only visible by the inside ref.
Great win.
Nice write up.

Reaction Score
I'll take the win but that was a horrible game to watch as a fan

First Half -
  • The paint was free without Clingan and Providence took advantage. There was a major skill gap, but PC played really tough. Have to credit them for that
  • I lol'd when CFJ tried to take Castle in the post and Steph ate him alive. But CFJ played really well other than that. Scored 7+ four times all season and shoots 34%. Had 7 in the first half on 100%
  • Thank you Stephon Castle for holding it down without Clingan and Karaban. He brought defensive energy and was our only scoring option despite FT troubles
  • Refs absolutely bailed us out on Oduro's third foul. Really favorable whistle in the first half, I'd be upset if I was a Providence fan
Second Half -
  • Clingan's third foul 18 seconds into the second half. Fourth foul less than 2 minutes later. Then Hurley technical. Sigh
  • Stephon Castle or Stephon Curry? Excellent excellent excellent
  • Very boring second half. They were in the double bonus after 9 minutes. We were in it after 10 and a half. If it wasn't UConn, I would have turned it off at 10:30. Game ended at 11:15
  • Cam was off all night but took us home with 6-6 FTs and a floater in the last 4 minutes. Newton with clutch FTs as well
  • Refs let us beat up Carter all night. He was exhausted at the end. Respect to him for fighting through it
Shoutout Oduro. Dude is SO skilled and was carving us up, until Clingan stuffed him in the last minute to seal it. March 9 will be a very fun game, but until then...LET'S GO HUSKIES
Rather than horrible, I would say frustrating. But getting a win when you don’t have your best is a sign of a good/great team.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The NEW BIg East Conference. It was formed in August 2013 when the Catholic 7 elected to split from the football schools and for a new league with 3 mid-majors. It bought the name from the original Big East (aka the Big East or the real Big East). which may have been the best basketball conference ever assembled at the collegiate level. Had 7 National Chsmpionships won by 5 different schools. Had multiple teams in the Final Four 5 times, had at least 1 Final Four team 18 times, and regularly had 6-8 teams in the Top 25. I mean how do you have half the league in the Top 25 when they have to play each other? One year, 1985, 3 of the Final Four were from the Big East. A fourth team lost in overtime in its Elite 8 game.
I appreciate & commend this straightforward answer to the simply posted question, "What is NEWBIE?"

Now, a follow up:
WHY do you use it?

As you can probably surmise, I dislike it, considering the name derisive toward UConn and unbecoming of a fan. I'll admit the likelihood that I'd feel differently if its centered arrogance was being aimed toward a rival, but it's not. I think its trolling tone draws excessive attention to the writer rather than the message, and in doing so it invites responses that match its bad energy with the intention of muting its effectiveness, which I believe is already compromised.

For better or worse, you generally give me more than enough to work with when I want to register my distaste for your commitment to being an aggravating presence. If I lessen the pleasure you derive by behaving boorishly, it's worth the effort.

I'm happy for the opportunity to identify & acknowledge the merits in your comment quoted above, although your continued silence in response to my challenge last March that you educate your fellow Boneyarders as to 50 D-1 coaches who are better than Dan Hurley stands - so far - as a more valuable contribution to this forum.

And so, I ask again, why do you persist with NEWBIE when sharing within a forum largely created by and for fans of its preeminent MBB & WBB programs?

I expect that you are capable of fashioning an understandable & reasoned argument, and I invite you to present one. Thanks in advance.

Reaction Score
They should be thanking us

This is super surprising. Unless you’re a fan of the teams or person who’s job it is to watch the game, I don’t know why anyone wouldn’t have turned it off early in the second half because of all the stoppages

Reaction Score
Not sure how they got there (11 rows off the floor, facing our bench), but we had a half dozen Providence fans sitting directly behind us. They were respectful, but I still had to listen to them talk about how great Carter was and their other pro-Prov banter. It made an ugly game even less enjoyable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom