Providence Post Game Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Providence Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
I think Hurley feels obligated to play Polley because Hurley is loyal to his players and Polley was loyal to the program. For the program to grow contributions are needed from players that are nailed to the bench. Those players don’t get to grow because their time is taken by guys like Polley and Gaffney.

If that's true that is a stunning negative quality about Hurley. No coach should ever feel obligated to play anyone on his team whose failing to produce.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If you want to know if we're going to win a game all you have to do is look at the trio of Polley, Gaffney, and Hawkins. In our three losses they've combined for...

173 minutes
45 points
15% FG (7/45)

I was so disgusted reading this I threw up. I then picked it up put it back in my mouth so I could throw up again.

Reaction Score
Offense is the problem for UConn. It's on Hurley to get it improved. Ray Allen is not walking in the door.

Reaction Score
Hurley has to give the freshman more opportunity when the seniors aren’t playing well. Makes the seniors complacent by not teaching them lesson for their mistakes. Calhoun was always quick to do this.
There was a scene where Cole dribbled a lot, ran no offense and took a desperation shot and missed. I expected Cole to be reamed a new one, or at least be dressed down by Hurley.

I then noticed Hurley clapping enthusiastically as if it were the greatest play in the world and he had made the basket. Mistakes, miscues, and lapses seem to be more tolerated (by our vets), at least in game, which is surprising because we have qualified bench players.

I guess I have to get used to the fact our Coach is more cheerleader than disciplinarian. Its neither good or bad, its just a drastic change from Calhoun era and will take time to adjust to. Calhoun knew how to get his message across to his team, I'm still waiting to determine how Hurley gets his message across in game. Perhaps someone here knows the answer.

Reaction Score
It wasn't long ago that Coach Hurley made the difficult decision to bench Gilbert in favor of Gaffney. That was a difficult decision but it was made because he thought it gave him the best chance to win. He has it in him. I think it is time to reassess Polley and Gaffney's minutes. If they come in and they are effective, that's great...
but if they are not (as has been the case in the losses), why not give some of their minutes to Diggins and Hawkins?

I know that there seems to be a stated preference for a 8-9 man rotation but l, when Gaffney and Polley are playing like they played on Saturday, get us the freshman.

I know Hawkins has played but he was noticeably absent during the second half against Providence. As for Diggins...I am now officially concerned. Is Coach Hurley trying to break him of some habits? Has he not shown in practice? If things stay like this, I can't imagine he will stick around. I am of the opinion that he may begin to take some of Gaffney's minutes fairly soon. We shall see.

Reaction Score
Huskies may lose to MU but if they lose in the same manner, same lack of offensive execution, than there are real problems. It means the staff doesn't understand how to ID and fix the issues.

Had the Friars hit their FTs and not thrown that stupid, stupid Flagrant 1 (that you could make an argument for ejection...) elbow this game has a score to reflect how not close it really was for most of it.

Can the staff address the O in 2+ days? Shaka hangs his hat on D and MU ain't an easy place to play. Time to 'coach them up' as they say.

Reaction Score
It wasn't long ago that Coach Hurley made the difficult decision to bench Gilbert in favor of Gaffney. That was a difficult decision but it was made because he thought it gave him the best chance to win. He has it in him. I think it is time to reassess Polley and Gaffney's minutes. If they come in and they are effective, that's great...
but if they are not (as has been the case in the losses), why not give some of their minutes to Diggins and Hawkins?

I know that there seems to be a stated preference for a 8-9 man rotation but l, when Gaffney and Polley are playing like they played on Saturday, get us the freshman.

I know Hawkins has played but he was noticeably absent during the second half against Providence. As for Diggins...I am now officially concerned. Is Coach Hurley trying to break him of some habits? Has he not shown in practice? If things stay like this, I can't imagine he will stick around. I am of the opinion that he may begin to take some of Gaffney's minutes fairly soon. We shall see.
Exactly. It’s December and as much as I’d like to see Diggins and Hawkins more, Danny’s not gonna give up on Tyler and Gaff yet but it’s coming soon….

Reaction Score

It's time for sool at this point. Gaffney gets beat by his guy, gives providence a 4 point lead then as the primary ball handler runs nearly 10 seconds off the clock. Was big on him coming into the year but I haven't seen it from him AT ALL. Also don't think Tyler Phommachanh has any business being the big off the bench, I know sanogo's out but hes a spot up shooter and kind of a floor spacer, time to get samson more burn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom