Prove it | The Boneyard

Prove it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So the AAC wants to be considered one of the big boys. Well this is the week to prove it starting today at 2:30pm est. South Florida mixes it up with Western Kentucky. Go Bulls!! If the AAC can win the big ones(Houston vs Fla St, Memphis vs Auburn, Navy vs Pitt, Cincy vs SD St) and sweep most of the others then no one can deny they are beating down the door of inclusion to the power conferences.

Again...go Bulls..start the week off right!

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, the AAC could go undefeated in every bowl game the next 5 years and it won't make a bit of difference about inclusion into the P5. The P5 is not built on a meritocracy. It's a club, and winning doesn't get an entire conference in the club, it only gets winning teams on the list of potential invitees the next time a P5 conference looks to expand.

Go UConn!

Reaction Score
Besides traditional games like the Iron Bowl, Army/Navy and a handful of others the TV networks hold the cards as far as who gets viewed and who doesn't, not the other way around and if the AAC continues to improve their product they have a built in edge over most conferences regarding the TV markets. It may take time but the TV markets that the AAC is involved with may just turn this also ran conference into a very lucrative product. In saying that of course the on field product must continue to impress but the foundation is there. Now it's up to the league and individual schools to build and capitalize on it. Time people...this is a three year old league. Give them some time.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The P-5 has guaranteed access to at least one spot in a NY6 bowl game. A given team only has to beat out a handful of teams. The G-5 representative has to beat out a handful of conferences.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
The cartel just got finished kicking out one conference and is low key trying to kick out another one (Big 12). They are absolutely not looking to add another conference to their group.

Sorry...

Reaction Score
I don't know how some of you guys do it. If I spent one more second worrying about things like CR, attendance, or anything else that's not related to what happens on the field, I'd stop following college football altogether. The conference sucks. It is what it is. I just choose to focus my priorities to what happens during our games. Long gone are the days where I'm gonna buy and donate tickets for our bowl games while chasing the P5 dream. Might as well light your cigars with $100 bills.

Reaction Score
Geez what happened to the USF team that beat Cincy and Temple? :(

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, the AAC could go undefeated in every bowl game the next 5 years and it won't make a bit of difference about inclusion into the P5. The P5 is not built on a meritocracy. It's a club, and winning doesn't get an entire conference in the club, it only gets winning teams on the list of potential invitees the next time a P5 conference looks to expand.

Go UConn!
Rutgers was a winning team? For how long??

Reaction Score
Didn't say nor imply they were.

I'm pretty sure Butch was responding to Samcro's comment that winning teams get noticed for P5 invites ..... you know ... like Rutgers, Syracuse, and Pitt .....

Reaction Score
Rutgers was a winning team? For how long??
I'm pretty sure Butch was responding to Samcro's comment that winning teams get noticed for P5 invites ..... you know ... like Rutgers, Syracuse, and Pitt .....
Correct, Butch was responding to my post. The actual point of my post, in response to the OP, was that no matter how well the AAC, or any G5 conference for that matter, does in bowl games it won't make a difference in one day getting that conference into the P5 club. They aren't adding more conferences. Individual teams doing well would not hurt, and could only help their chances of being considered should another conference decide to expand. No where did I write Rutgers was a winning team (or SyraPitt), or that winning was the primary metric/factor conferences were using in their selection process.

Reaction Score
Correct, Butch was responding to my post. The actual point of my post, in response to the OP, was that no matter how well the AAC, or any G5 conference for that matter, does in bowl games it won't make a difference in one day getting that conference into the P5 club. They aren't adding more conferences. Individual teams doing well would not hurt, and could only help their chances of being considered should another conference decide to expand. No where did I write Rutgers was a winning team (or SyraPitt), or that winning was the primary metric/factor conferences were using in their selection process.

I agree with what you originally posted and your latest clarification ... I just felt the need to lash out at out lottery winning former Big East "partners" ... :p

Reaction Score
And yet Samcro never made the assertion that those programs were noticed for being winning programs. Nor that being so is necessary or sufficient for recognition, let alone eventual invite. He simply said that being a winning program will only take you so far.

Reaction Score
And yet Samcro never made the assertion that those programs were noticed for being winning programs. Nor that being so is necessary or sufficient for recognition, let alone eventual invite. He simply said that being a winning program will only take you so far.

You must be a hoot at the water cooler. :D I even admitted that my post was a veiled insult to former Big East teams, not a challenge to Samcro's post.

Smacro said ... " it only gets winning teams on the list of potential invitees the next time a P5 conference looks to expand."

Kgun7 said ..."winning teams get noticed for P5 invites"

I don't see much difference between those two statements ... but I also don't critique every single word someone posts on a message board.

Read this paragraph really really fast ... like 80's FEDEX commercial fast ... so it sounds like the legal disclaimer at the end of a radio commercial that sells automobiles ...

If I respond to a specific post in a thread, it doesn't always mean that I am directly challenging the validity of facts that were stated, or implied, in the quoted post. Sometimes ... I may just want to add more information to the original statement ... that may or may not conflict with any, or all, of the original facts.

Reaction Score
I understand where you guys are coming from but I think time is the great equalizer and as so called Power-5 teams stumble(cheat ie UNC, the U gangsta rep and various other scandals, USC, Ohio St, ect) they leave room for others to capture the viewers imagination. Look at Boise St and TCU for examples, and even Oregon to some extent. They came out of no where to become the #1 brand. Before Chip Kelley & the Nike benefactor the Ducks weren't even on the map. They might fade back off the map but again, time will tell. Maybe the AAC is the next big thing with cool destinations and a different style of play. These schools have been left out in the cold and they know it. So if ever there was motivation to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear with a decent foundation on which to do it and a well connected commissioner to push the right buttons in a TV addicted society..... I say the AAC could be it!

Reaction Score
I agree with what you originally posted and your latest clarification ... I just felt the need to lash out at out lottery winning former Big East "partners" ... :p
They won the historical lottery. I mean, WVU is in a "P5" conference. So is TCU. We'll be in after we pay our dues. (We already have, actually; just a matter of who and when).

I don't look forward to CT becoming a tourist spot.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
So if ever there was motivation to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear with a decent foundation on which to do it and a well connected commissioner to push the right buttons in a TV addicted society..... I say the AAC could be it!
You say that as if we have a choice in the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom