Protest Songs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Protest Songs

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

Possibly the best song line of all time:
"My blood's so mad it feels like coagulating."

I would say "Southern trees bear strange fruit, blood at the leaves and blood at the root" trumps that with ease.

Reaction Score
I appreciate artists willing to speak out on the issues of the day. Here’s another from Peter, Paul and Mary from the 80’s during the Salvadoran civil war when thousands of innocent civilians were killed.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Too many to mention, but this thread reminded me. In the 1980s I had a typist who was a recent hs grad. I don’t remember why, but one day I mentioned protest songs. She gave me a blank stare. I told her to ask her mother. I felt very old.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The Hammer of Justice, The Bell of freedom.... A Seeger associated song, but P P & M do it with beautiful harmonies:

The first album I remember buying and I still have it 55 years later. Very scratched up. I saw them in person twice. Once early in their career when they appeared at UConn in what was at the time the fastest sell out of Jorgensen. Then near the end of their career in a benefit at Oakdale and they were still super. I got to meet Mary.and Paul there. She was an exceptional human being.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The first album I remember buying and I still have it 55 years later. Very scratched up. I saw them in person twice. Once early in their career when they appeared at UConn in what was at the time the fastest sell out of Jorgensen. Then near the end of their career in a benefit at Oakdale and they were still super. I got to meet Mary.and Paul there. She was an exceptional human being.

We were fortunate enough to see them perform 3 times - a huge show at Cornell in the 60s, at the Westchester Cty Center and ??? (time and memory). Went back stage at the Center at the break and Peter and Paul were very kind and real. Mary was totally emersed in talk with 2 handlers about how she was doing, etc, etc. The 3 signed a glossy PPM book we bought and still have. I mentioned the Cornell concert to Peter and Paul and one said he didn't think they would do it again as long as the ROTC was on campus. It was the times.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
We were fortunate enough to see them perform 3 times - a huge show at Cornell in the 60s, at the Westchester Cty Center and ??? (time and memory). Went back stage at the Center at the break and Peter and Paul were very kind and real. Mary was totally emersed in talk with 2 handlers about how she was doing, etc, etc. The 3 signed a glossy PPM book we bought and still have. I mentioned the Cornell concert to Peter and Paul and one said he didn't think they would do it again as long as the ROTC was on campus. It was the times.
Yeah, I saw them once when "Leaving On A Jet Plane" was on the radio. It was a huge concert here in NYC called "The Winter Festival For Peace" January 28, 1970. What scene that was.

Reaction Score
I spent July 69-July 70 in Vietnam in a combat infantry unit. The 2 songs heard over and over that reflected the fears and the feelings of the troops were:

Ruby Don’t Take Your Love to Town by Kenny Rogers

We Gotta Get Outta This Place by The Animals

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom