Prospects Nation Updates c/o 2020 Rankings | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Prospects Nation Updates c/o 2020 Rankings

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think shooters in particular get a reputation as “finesse players.” So Lou, SB and other similarly skilled players get tested more often than someone who comes in with a reputation as a physical player. As an example, not a lot of players wanted to mess with Kia Nurse.
Not a lot of people knew about Kia coming in, physicality or otherwise.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not a lot of people knew about Kia coming in, physicality or otherwise.
They sure found out pretty quickly. I am reminded of the little run in between Pheesa and Mabry during last year’s December game, when Kia stepped in and gave Mabry a shove. Mabry, a tough player herself, had the good sense to walk away.

Reaction Score
That really depends on the class. Stewie was significantly better than anyone else in her class. The same could be said of Wilson. As for last year’s class, it remains to be seen if MW was significantly better than the rest of her class or not.

I don't see the same huge talent gap between HJ and the rest of the class as occurred with Stewie...........she was one of a kind...........perhaps Fudd will be similar from a talent gap standpoint

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Looks like '20 is a good year to grab a PG, a bunch of highly rated players at that position.

4 from Washington in the top 40ish?! Wow. Two of them I'm not even familiar with. The way things have been going, UW will probably get none of them.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
They sure found out pretty quickly. I am reminded of the little run in between Pheesa and Mabry during last year’s December game, when Kia stepped in and gave Mabry a shove. Mabry, a tough player herself, had the good sense to walk away.

She should know how to give a good and proper shove (not to mention a box out and a proper ward off) considering her brother Darnell's NHL hockey expertise! ;)

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I can guarantee that SB will get knocked around once she gets to college. How she responds will ultimately determine just how good a player she becomes. If she responds to the physical play and occasional muggings in the same manner as Lou, she’ll be one hell of a player. Time will tell.

When I watched the 3x3 tapes of the tournament in Spokane, I noticed that Sam's shot was off and on. Granted, outdoors and 3x3 add a whole lot of variables, but her shooting was inconsistent.

What was consistent was her doing all the glue work that is essential on a team, whether 3x3 or 5x5: setting screens, rolling to the basket consistently or getting out of the way, playing defense and rebounding. All of this was against college grads who may not have matched the technical expertise of Sam, Paige, Aliyah and Hailey Van Lith, but were physically stronger and brought a lot of savvy to the match.

So, to follow up on your point, I think she's willing to do a lot of the elements that help make winning efforts. ND was blessed to have a McDonald's All-American dedicate herself to that role and Kat Westbeld helped get the Irish over the hump. Sam, in my humble view, is physically more talented but with that approach can of immense value.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
When I watched the 3x3 tapes of the tournament in Spokane, I noticed that Sam's shot was off and on. Granted, outdoors and 3x3 add a whole lot of variables, but her shooting was inconsistent.

What was consistent was her doing all the glue work that is essential on a team, whether 3x3 or 5x5: setting screens, rolling to the basket consistently or getting out of the way, playing defense and rebounding. All of this was against college grads who may not have matched the technical expertise of Sam, Paige, Aliyah and Hailey Van Lith, but were physically stronger and brought a lot of savvy to the match.

So, to follow up on your point, I think she's willing to do a lot of the elements that help make winning efforts. ND was blessed to have a McDonald's All-American dedicate herself to that role and Kat Westbeld helped get the Irish over the hump. Sam, in my humble view, is physically more talented but with that approach can of immense value.
I agree about the importance of the little things, but it’s odd to consider a #1 recruit (or former #1) to be a glue player.

Reaction Score

I personally think that is why ND is a better fit for her. The MM offense doesn't depend on the 4 position to do a lot of scoring but does depend on the glue type stuff. Scoring comes from the guards and some feeds into the post.

UConn has always used the 4 position as a focus of the offense and I just don't think that is a right fit for SB. Although I am a total Husky, I think SB in the end made the right choice for her and her game.

I also don't believe her choice will have any effect on the others. They are going to make the best decision for their future not for SB. Thinking girls will just follow their friends borders on misogyny.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I agree about the importance of the little things, but it’s odd to consider a #1 recruit (or former #1) to be a glue player.

I personally think that is why ND is a better fit for her. The MM offense doesn't depend on the 4 position to do a lot of scoring but does depend on the glue type stuff. Scoring comes from the guards and some feeds into the post.

UConn has always used the 4 position as a focus of the offense and I just don't think that is a right fit for SB. Although I am a total Husky, I think SB in the end made the right choice for her and her game.

I also don't believe her choice will have any effect on the others. They are going to make the best decision for their future not for SB. Thinking girls will just follow their friends borders on misogyny.

Milford:

I think DE Pup said it very well, so I'm using the quote mechanism for most of my reply ;)

ND's use of the four is a critical to overall efficiency -- I don't consider it a slight to say that Sam will concentrate on doing all those things right, in the same way Paige and Hailey Van Lith shouldered the scoring load in the 3x3 in Spokane. Besides Kat (who is revered in South Bend), Natalie Achonwa set up at the foul line/elbow as often as not. She scored when needed but excelled at all the other things we mentioned.

(BTW, as a still active hoopster, I pick teams often in our Sunday morning hoop gatherings and I'll choose a "glue" player no later than 2nd every time...or regret it.)

Reaction Score

I suppose it's good to be a glue player when your shot isn't falling..........

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Brunelle will be an excellent player under Muffet, regardless if she finishes being ranked #1 overall or not.

The last several years have not had an obvious #1 recruit like we saw with Stewart in 2012 and KML in 2011. In 2013 we saw Diamond and Russell split some top rankings. 2014 had Wilson and Mitchell, and Wilson didn’t separate herself from the pack until her junior year. Turner was every bit as good as A’ja when they were freshmen, but Turner has been injury prone and Wilson has also made huge strides. All that said, Mitchell was the consensus NFOY in 2014-15, so not the best year to use as an example of a standout #1 recruit.

2015 was KLS by most of the main sources IIRC, 2016 had both Holmes and Cox at the #1 spot, 2017 seemed to have Westbrook and Walker both in the mix, and 2018 seemed split between Williams and Collier, with ONO being the early favorite prior to injury. 2019 appears to be more fluid, too. Same for 2020 possibly.

As others have noted, how a player fits in their system is more important than accumulation of raw talent. Brunelle will be much needed at ND with the graduation of 4 senior starters. Players coming to UCONN should have more time to assimilate with Walker/CD/Williams/ONO likely cementing big minutes in 2019-20.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Milford:

I think DE Pup said it very well, so I'm using the quote mechanism for most of my reply ;)

ND's use of the four is a critical to overall efficiency -- I don't consider it a slight to say that Sam will concentrate on doing all those things right, in the same way Paige and Hailey Van Lith shouldered the scoring load in the 3x3 in Spokane. Besides Kat (who is revered in South Bend), Natalie Achonwa set up at the foul line/elbow as often as not. She scored when needed but excelled at all the other things we mentioned.

(BTW, as a still active hoopster, I pick teams often in our Sunday morning hoop gatherings and I'll choose a "glue" player no later than 2nd every time...or regret it.)
Glue players are critical when the team goes out for dinner and orders “sticky rice.” ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom