Pros of going Indy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Pros of going Indy

Reaction Score
Sounds a lot like the prison team in the Longest Yard, LOL. The beer better be cheap to watch those beat downs. Get the training staff ready.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I know people who consider themselves football first fans (insane we even have a distinction...but this is UConn) are upset over being cast to the curb. I get it just as much as anyone who has spent countless weekends at The Rent and traveled all over the country to watch our program. I get it.

But can we please stop with this insane notion that joining the Big East "might" help basketball? As crazy as the basketball fans who say the football team never deserved to be FBS, blah blah blah, it looks just as ridiculous to say the school joining the 2nd or 3rd best hoops conference that plays games in our backyard against teams we care about is somehow similar at all to playing no name teams throughout the southwest that our fans will never care about.

I'm just as bummed about football - hell - anyone thats posted on this board the past decade clearly gives two craps. But just be fair and call it like it is.

This is huge for hoops, but pretty bad for football, which was already pretty much dead to begin with.
Unfortunately, college sports is 80% football, 15% basketball, and 5% everything else.

Reaction Score
There's plenty of Bowl Games (too many). If we go 6-6 as an Independent we likely will be in. If we go 7-5 it will b e a sure thing.

Doing a quick check on-line, all current bowls have contractual tie-ins with conferences. This past year, there were more conference teams bowl eligible than there were slots available heading into the last weekend of the season. Army was 9-2 at that time & ranked #23 in the country & was projected as not going to a bowl until there were a couple of upsets that last weekend that opened up a couple slots. The only sure thing for a bowl bid as a independent is ND if they are bowl eligible.

Reaction Score
Indy equals no conference equals no bowl tie-in. 5-7 NC State would have a better shot a bowl than a 10-2 UConn team if we were Indy.

And ESPN literally owns many of the lower level bowls. BYU doesn’t have a huge problem since ESPN is their partner? How will a “Fox” team be treated by ESPN?

Reaction Score
Cobbling together 6 bowl eligibility wins as an independent will be a tough, tough task.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom