Pros, Cons, Conclusions vs. Oklahoma State | The Boneyard

Pros, Cons, Conclusions vs. Oklahoma State

Reaction Score
3 Pros
  1. Andre Jackson was EVERYWHERE. Super aggressive and unlimited energy, had a positive impact on nearly every single play in the first half. Played better than the box score, and the box score was still solid. 11pts, 7reb, 6ast, 3 stl, and a mean stepback 3
  2. JORDAN HAWKINS! This guy catches fire so fast. I don't think I've seen one three pointer he's taken all year that I didn't like. 18 in the first half, finished with 26 on 46% (5-9 from three)
  3. The defense turned up in the middle of the first half and we went on our run from there. 15-0 and ended the first half on a 23-3 run. Game was effectively over after that.
HM: Sanogo had a great first half. Nothing crazy or flashy, just played his game and was also high energy on defense. Second half got frustrating, but he's unstoppable when he's on. 20pts, 6reb on 50%

3 Cons - btw a con didn't even enter my head until about halfway through the first half
  1. The second half was really ugly. We scored 10 points in the last 9:55, and that includes 3 free throws when they started fouling. That said, they didn't get it to single digits until 45 seconds left in the game and we still won by 10.
  2. The guards/wings allowed a lot of drives to the hoop for the first 10-12 minutes and it allowed OK State to hang around. Same during a few of those second half runs
  3. Clingan struggled. Missed his layups, didn't play well defensively either, and it was the first game he really looked like a freshman
HM: The crowd sounded really quiet for a home game after winning the PKI and getting a top 10 ranking

Conclusion: We got clobbered for a chunk of the second half, yet we had a comfortable lead for the final 25 minutes. Lots of things to clean up before Florida next week, but I'll take a double digit win. Sometimes you don't play well and have to just find a way to win, we did that in the second half. 9-0 and at least 2 teams ahead of us in the Top 25 will lose this week. We'll be closer to #5 than #10 on Monday. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
I was at the game and I personally didn’t think it was an intimidating environment, but that was because of the way the game played out. UConn was very meh the first 14 minutes of the game and the entire second half. AS’s one handed alley opp and JC’s 3 as the shot clocked expired would have brought the house down had UConn played tonight like they did at the PK. But I look forward to getting back there and being a part of a much more vibrant crowd for conference play.

Reaction Score
Also at the game, crowd was huge when we went on the big run end of 1H. After that, really wasn’t anything worth cheering for. Game was never in doubt second half.

In general, it was a weird half where we didn’t play good but didn’t play bad enough to blow the lead. I do think it’s actually a challenge for some teams to play with a big lead vs a quality opponent (which isn’t something we’re used to) so that’s actually a learning experience in itself.

Alex and Donovan played like freshman, against a very veteran team. These games will happen. Alex pretty much played the entire 2H and looked absolutely gassed. Would have loved to see Richie get 3-5 min to spell him (or Samson when he return).

The transfers minus Joey were pretty uneventful. Weird game for them. Diarra didn’t get much playing time I felt like most of the early second half when I would have liked his energy. Can’t remember one thing Alleyne did. Thought OK St did a good job taking away Newton’s ability to drive — something the team stayed away from during the 2H struggles in general, I assume primarily because Cisse actually played after his 1H foul trouble.

Really excited to see how this team plays in Florida which will be a tough environment I imagine. If none of the transfers/Alex/Donovan show up like they did tonight we’re in trouble.

Reaction Score
I was at the game and I personally didn’t think it was an intimidating environment, but that was because of the way the game played out. UConn was very meh the first 14 minutes of the game and the entire second half. AS’s one handed alley opp and JC’s 3 as the shot clocked expired would have brought the house down had UConn played tonight like they did at the PK. But I look forward to getting back there and being a part of a much more vibrant crowd for conference play.

it def sounded quiet on tv, like an XL center crowd even though it was sold out Gampel.

Reaction Score
The crowd was fine, they didn't play great in the second half...not a lot to go crazy for...but

the students clearly just don't know the cheers...there's about 5 or 6 that have been missing for 3 years, likely the result of COVID.

The students just don't know the cheers for when UConn is on offense and kind of leads to these weird moments of quiet. Other than that I thought students were great. AD honestly needs to engage with 5-10 students who got to every game to make sure they 1) know these cheers 2) actively lead them in game.

This happened organically for decades but clearly it just has gotten lost.

First half the crowd was pretty great, but that's because the team played well. Team plays well, fans look great and the converse is true.

EDIT: And I don't mean to put this on the students, but at the end of the day the only thing separating CBB from the NBA is them. The arena goes as they go. They are the heartbeat of the whole enterprise. For 4 years, you got to be the biggest fan you can be. But the adult decisionmakers can help lead them to water. They have 90% of it going for them: they already show up in force, they are loud, just needs to be sustained and relearn the cheers to keep the energy up and not have these dull moments.

Last edited:

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The crowd was fine, they didn't play great in the second half...not a lot to go crazy for...but

the students clearly just don't know the cheers...there's about 5 or 6 that have been missing for 3 years, likely the result of COVID.

The students just don't know the cheers for when UConn is on offense and kind of leads to these weird moments of quiet. Other than that I thought students were great. AD honestly needs to engage with 5-10 students who got to every game to make sure they 1) know these cheers 2) actively lead them in game.

First half the crowd was pretty great, but that's because the team played well. Team plays well, fans look great and the converse is true.
A rare crowd victory for the XL lovers ;)

Reaction Score
IMO. Our guys need some rest before Florida.. Have been to the West Coast and back and played 4 Tournament bound teams in the last 7 days.. Team depth certainly has helped.. I am glad the OK St game was not at their place..

They will clean stuff up at practice and in the film room.. Need some fresh legs for the Florida game.

Reaction Score
Read a couple Oklahoma State takes on the game for the heck of it. Their fans feel pretty aggrieved by the officiating. I'm actually pretty proud of my ability to recognize BS that favors us, but I didn't see the game last night. Were the fouls against them as ticky-tacky as they claim? Their thought is that both teams played aggressive d but one was punished for i

I ask because that scoreline looks a heck of a lot closer without the free throw disparity. Hope the success doesn't go to our heads.

Reaction Score

EDIT: And I don't mean to put this on the students, but at the end of the day the only thing separating CBB from the NBA is them. The arena goes as they go. They are the heartbeat of the whole enterprise. For 4 years, you got to be the biggest fan you can be. But the adult decisionmakers can help lead them to water. They have 90% of it going for them: they already show up in force, they are loud, just needs to be sustained and relearn the cheers to keep the energy up and not have these dull moments.
So you’re saying we need to sneak a couple undercover alumni into the student section to teach the current students how to have a top ten team…

Reaction Score
They misses 11 free throws. In the tourney if you play defense and make free throws you are very dangerous. UCONN should have won by more. That being said 9 and 0 baby and gonna be in top 5 Monday.

Reaction Score
So you’re saying we need to sneak a couple undercover alumni into the student section to teach the current students how to have a top ten team…
I know of one rich alum with some experience in the department, and an increasing amount of free time if he keeps playing like he has been

Reaction Score
We played well for about 8 minutes and won by double digits with the game never really being in doubt. You're never going to play well for the full 40 but I left this game thinking we could've played so much better and we still won easily. Good feeling.

Reaction Score
Most of our sets coming out of timeouts have been good, but I was disheartened to see, in the second half, reverting to force-feeding it into Sanogo, which predictably didn't work.

I want to see Hurley trusting the flow of our offense instead of resorting to Sanogo 1 on 1, especially when the defense has shown adept at stopping him.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
A rare crowd victory for the XL lovers ;)
Not rare, normal. And there was no excuse for normal yesterday. The student section did indeed suck. When the team hit the floor to start the second half, the band played but nobody cheered. Like the paradeigm has shifted in other aspects. The best crowds are now in Hartford. It's not even close . Fans that go to games know this. If this game was in XL with the same crowd, people here would use it as evidence to put all games on campus.

Reaction Score
I was at the game as well. Lot of holy crap this team is good reactions from the casuals. Was also surprised by the amount of empty seats. But things will ramp up as we continue to win.

Agreed on the student section though. Years of not being a consistent Top 25 program plus Covid have killed the students and knowledge of the cheers which can be relearned but needs to be done by the students itself with some guidance.

Reaction Score
In person the crowd really wasn’t that bad. The student section actually spurred that late 1st half run. They just don’t quite know what to do yet when UConn is on offense. They should practice. It sounds silly, but it might help

Reaction Score
They misses 11 free throws. In the tourney if you play defense and make free throws you are very dangerous. UCONN should have won by more. That being said 9 and 0 baby and gonna be in top 5 Monday.

Really appreciate your tenacity clinging to your perception that we missed 11 FTs last night. This is at least the 3rd thread that you've tried to sell this! We went 24/33. Agree with everything else in your post. ;)

UConn FTs.jpg

Reaction Score
In fairness to the fans who were there, the constant foul calls kept the game from having any flow at all, except for the one run that ended the first half. It’s hard to be enthusiastic in a game that is safely controlled but has no flow

Reaction Score
In fairness to the fans who were there, the constant foul calls kept the game from having any flow at all, except for the one run that ended the first half. It’s hard to be enthusiastic in a game that is safely controlled but has no flow
The crowd and students had some good moments. The crowd in unison telling Cisse to sit down was great lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom