Pros, Cons. Conclusions vs. Delaware St | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Pros, Cons. Conclusions vs. Delaware St

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Having two guys in Hawkins and Karaban with a permanent green light from three will put a lot of pressure on defenses of all calibers—not to mention Alleyne. If Newton can be respectable from outside, we’ll be sitting pretty.

Reaction Score
If games were Joey C. can keep his man honest defensively, he'll be an asset.

With the exception of Newton going down, I think this is a great game for Hurley. There is enough good to build the team up, but enough bad turnovers and some opened shots given up that it will give him plenty of opportunities to coach up the team the next few days.

Reaction Score
Having two guys in Hawkins and Karaban with a permanent green light from three will put a lot of pressure on defenses of all calibers—not to mention Alleyne. If Newton can be respectable from outside, we’ll be sitting pretty.
It seems Calcaterra has a green light from 3 as well when he is in there.

Reaction Score
Shooting and passing have greatly improved this season. It was a weakness of ours in years past, but seems to be a strength now. Exciting to see.

Andre in the middle of the Zone surrounded by shooters and Sanogo eating space down low against the zone is a huge, huge improvement. We may not hit our shots every game, but we are going to score a lot of points if teams try the zone now. The only missing ingredient is Andre hitting the foul line jumper on occasion, but lot’s of season left to work on that.

We have many options as to who is on the floor for the zone offense. I am curious to see if we ever move AK to the middle slot if Andre is out. You can use DC or AS down low. Then there are multiple shooters though my first 3 are AK, JoeyC, and Hawk on the outside. More options there.

We will make teams pay for a zone defense.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I thought our defensive rotations were a bit sloppy at times yesterday. Gotta remember, we have many new guys, including 2 freshman. I thought both DC and AK were out of position a number of times, but that will get cleaned up as the season progresses, they both are high BBIQ players. Team D will take a bit of time, but you have to like the quickness and length on D. Our depth should allow for some serious pressure and try going over the top with DC and AS playing safety. I expect a lot of points from turns this year. Danny must be off the charts excited.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Andre in the middle of the Zone surrounded by shooters and Sanogo eating space down low against the zone is a huge, huge improvement. We may not hit our shots every game, but we are going to score a lot of points if teams try the zone now. The only missing ingredient is Andre hitting the foul line jumper on occasion, but lot’s of season left to work on that.

We have many options as to who is on the floor for the zone offense. I am curious to see if we ever move AK to the middle slot if Andre is out. You can use DC or AS down low. Then there are multiple shooters though my first 3 are AK, JoeyC, and Hawk on the outside. More options there.

We will make teams pay for a zone defense.

Karaban has played the high post every game so far against zone defenses. And he's been great.

Reaction Score

IMO we look even better with Karaban at the foul line than Andre. You need your best decision-maker at that spot, and so far... that's been Karaban despite his being a freshman.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If games were Joey C. can keep his man honest defensively, he'll be an asset.

With the exception of Newton going down, I think this is a great game for Hurley. There is enough good to build the team up, but enough bad turnovers and some opened shots given up that it will give him plenty of opportunities to coach up the team the next few days.
I wasn't specifically watching for it in the first two games, and opponent notwithstanding (yet), but I am not seeing Calcanterra as the glaring defensive liability so far as others have. He's not Ricky Moore, but he's nowhere near Carmelo Anthony either.

Reaction Score
I wasn't specifically watching for it in the first two games, and opponent notwithstanding (yet), but I am not seeing Calcanterra as the glaring defensive liability so far as others have. He's not Ricky Moore, but he's nowhere near Carmelo Anthony either.

I agree with this. He has active hands on defense and crashes the glass a lot better than I was expecting. He's not great at moving laterally and keeping his guy in front of him, but as long as he can steer them towards shot blockers, I think he'll be fine.

I think the biggest hurdle for him will be limiting turnovers. I've actually been impressed with his ball movement so far, but he's averaging 2.2 TO a game and only 2 assists, which might not fly once we're playing conference opponents

Reaction Score
What a strange post.

You think Joey Calcaterra plays far better defense than Carmelo Anthony?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
IMO we look even better with Karaban at the foul line than Andre. You need your best decision-maker at that spot, and so far... that's been Karaban despite his being a freshman.
Agree. But Hurley had Andre in that position yesterday. Most likely they will be the two players he relies on for that role. Always better to have redundancy.

Husky25

Reaction Score
What a strange post.

You think Joey Calcaterra plays far better defense than Carmelo Anthony?

Anthony was considered a defensive liability. I don't yet see where Calcaterra picked up this reputation.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Carmelo was pretty great defensively, provided he wants to be and the team is in a 3-2 zone, so he can doesn't really have to move and can pretty much stand flat footed under the basket.

Yes, I believe Calcaterra can be more useful than that. He certainly has a higher ceiling. The point of my statement. was not to compare Calcaterra to Anthony, necessarily. It was to use use Anthony as an example of a player not remotely known for their offense.

Reaction Score
Carmelo was pretty great defensively, provided he wants to be and the team is in a 3-2 zone, so he can doesn't really have to move and can pretty much stand flat footed under the basket.

Yes, I believe Calcaterra can be more useful than that. He certainly has a higher ceiling. The point of my statement. was not to compare Calcaterra to Anthony, necessarily. It was to use use Anthony as an example of a player not remotely known for their offense.
200w (1).gif

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
There was not a lot of quit in that Delaware State team.

There was a good deal of overmatched. But not a lot of quit.

Their guards are good. Not elite. But good. Even a bit better than just good.

Their coach accepted a fairly brutal early season. They got their derby's beat in pretty good.

Just got beat by a really good and deep team.

But they are not the bottom team they were last year. I expect them to be a particular pest in their conference this year.

Reaction Score

I like Calcaterra. I would trade him for ‘03 NPOY Carmelo Anthony.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Aw Shoot. That last word should be "defense."

I can see how it doesn't make sense. My bad.

To restate my original thought in this thread. If Calcaterra is a defensive liability, I am not seeing it as of yet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom