Pros, Cons. Conclusions vs. Delaware St | The Boneyard

Pros, Cons. Conclusions vs. Delaware St

Reaction Score
3 Pros:
  1. I know Delaware State is not good, but our defense was solid. The effort was there even though they knew this was a free win. Most of Delaware State's baskets were tough looks. We did foul a lot - they were in the double bonus with 4 min left in the first half and again with 3 min in the second half. AJax fouled out, Sanogo and Karaban with 4 each
  2. Offense against the zone looked pretty good. Saw a good mix of getting it into the midrange for a jumper, dropping off for open layups, and collapsing the defense/swinging for the open three. Our zone offense has been terrible for years, but it seems this squad is comfortable playing against it. Delaware State ditched the zone after a few possessions of it getting ripped apart
  3. Donovan Clingan is a very large man. Pulled down rebounds over 2-3 people consistently, controlled the paint, and played very efficiently. He's still learning through mistakes, but he was our 2nd leading scorer (16pts) and had 3 blocks.
HM: Joey California! It seems like he's becoming one of our more consistent players. He lit it up from 3 and was the first guard off the bench tonight. He's already started taking over some of Diarra's minutes. It'll be interesting to see this backup PG battle as we start getting into the games where we might need Diarra's defense more than Joey's offense

3 Cons:
  1. Hawkins was ice cold. He did get some threes to drop, but overall shot 31%. A lot of his shots were pretty good looks. Obviously didn't impact the result of this game, but his consistent scoring will be crucial for us moving into PK85 and BE play. He did play great defense (including 2 blocks) and also led us in rebounding tonight with 9
  2. Free throw shooting was bad. 68%
  3. Andre Jackson had a rough game. Had 3 fouls in the first half and fouled out with 7:40 left in the game, pretty much all a result of just playing more aggressively than he had to. Was hoping we could see him look to score a couple baskets tonight (he did hit a 3!), but not the game he wanted to have

Conclusion:
It was hard to only pick 3 Pros and hard to find 3 Cons. We were supposed to run through them, and we did. We played good offense to get open shots and we made them, this game was over after 5 minutes. Only really concerning part was that Tristen Newton got injured with around 2 and a half minutes left in the game. Not sure why a starter was in while up 40 with 2 minutes to go..looked like a groin thing, hopefully it's not serious and he's feeling alright. 5-0, on to Oregon!

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Conclusion: we need to stop scheduling bottom-50 teams. It’s disrespectful to the fans and the players. The coaching staff doesn’t learn a lot, and it doesn’t prepare us for Big East play or March.
I agree. There are plenty of teams 175-300 that will take the trip to Hartford for a game. Many of them in the Northeast. But not really "disrespectful", just not helpful.

Reaction Score
Considering the opponents thus far, our biggest have been consistent! Our guards have not been consistently as impressive.

And the last 7 minutes of this game were eh! Just knew we'd get 100+ Overall, glad we got the win.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Calcaterra with rebounds and assists beyond just shooting 3's. Will he be able to do it against higher level competition? Probably not. But teams have to think of him as a legit player not just a spot up shooter. At least for now.

The pass to Clingan that he kinda fumbled, grabbed from between his legs and then gathered himself and dunked was really impressive coordination.

Glad to see Hawkins aggressive on rebounding.

Loved listening to announcers dance around a possible groin pull by Newton.

Don't have to worry about slipping at Gampel because there's condensation from an ice rink below the floor.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
To be fair, I don't think Buffalo belongs with the other two. They've got potential in their league.
Maybe which is why I went to that game, but they are worse than expected.

Reaction Score
Calcaterra with rebounds and assists beyond just shooting 3's. Will he be able to do it against higher level competition? Probably not. But teams have to think of him as a legit player not just a spot up shooter. At least for now.

The pass to Clingan that he kinda fumbled, grabbed from between his legs and then gathered himself and dunked was really impressive coordination.

Don't have to worry about slipping at Gampel because there's condensation from an ice rink below the floor.
Newton didn't slip. His foot landed on the defenders foot and the defenders reacted by pulling his foot away. Newton's foot went with the defenders.

Reaction Score

Sanogo had a scary slip in the first half too. Made me really nervous

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Sanogo & Jackson both with 3s, I honestly don't think I would have thought we'd see that if you asked me last year.

Great 3pt % but what's with our poor FT%? I'm sure it will pull back to true though.

Loved the energy, this one would have been easy to come out and put in another poor first 10 minutes. Looking forward to Thursday and seeing how they hold up.

Reaction Score
Sanogo & Jackson both with 3s, I honestly don't think I would have thought we'd see that if you asked me last year.

Great 3pt % but what's with our poor FT%? I'm sure it will pull back to true though.

Loved the energy, this one would have been easy to come out and put in another poor first 10 minutes. Looking forward to Thursday and seeing how they hold up.
FT shooting: we went 13-19. Donovan accounted for 3 of those missed. And the misses-all looked pretty good. We are shooting 72.2% from FT as a team for the year. People need to stop obsessing over 1-game small sample sizes

Reaction Score
I don't know if you can say we had good defense if the other team if taking 26 foul shots. That's probably our big point of improvement from this game to practice the next couple days. Andre in particular just needs to stay in his lane. Stop being the hero and play basketball--let the hero plays come to him.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
FT shooting: we went 13-19. Donovan accounted for 3 of those missed. And the misses-all looked pretty good. We are shooting 72.2% from FT as a team for the year. People need to stop obsessing over 1-game small sample sizes
Yeah, I'm not worried about it - it's like how bad the other shooting #s looked in some of the early games, there's always going to be an outlier here or there but these are statistics and they are almost always going to come back towards that baseline.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
the women, ya know the team that schedules as a many top teams as possible early, was also playing today, so that may have taken some possible attendees from coming.
i think it was against #10 today. the other day, it was #5.

Reaction Score
I was going to post the same. Starters went 10-12 (83%). Diarra's 0-1 and Clingan's 2-5 brought down the percentage. So basically 1 player was a drag on the percentage because the total number of free throws taken was such a small sample size. To put this into perspective, if Clingan goes 3-5 the percentage would have been 73.7% and then you're not pointing out anything about bad free throw shooting. 1 made free throw shouldn't be the difference between bad and good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom