Pros, Cons, Conclusions vs. Buffalo | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Pros, Cons, Conclusions vs. Buffalo

Reaction Score
In the post game radio show, they kept talking about how Karaban had the highest +/- on the team with +28. Guy just does a lot of things even when he isn't shooting particularly well. Seems to have a high bball IQ.
I'd like to see them get Alex more shots. He needs double digit attempts.

Reaction Score
He's great. We were certainly better with him on the court tonight than with Sanogo on the court. Going into the season I don't think anyone thought he would be this good and would ever be the better option on the court than our star big man in any game.
The only question with Clingan, and some of the others, is whether it translates to better opponents.

He has the size, hands, and footwork, but will he be neutralized by better athletes? Same with guys like Calcaterra.

Reaction Score
People seem to forget that Hawkins played lousy defense at the beginning of last season...he got better as the year went on. Give it a rest about Joey C. and his defense.
The difference is that with Hawkins, he had to learn and adjust to this level (and stop being muscled around). Joey C is a 5th year guy who has the mental aspect down, it's a question of athleticism, which can maybe be compensated for a little, but can't be taught.

Reaction Score
The difference is that with Hawkins, he had to learn and adjust to this level (and stop being muscled around). Joey C is a 5th year guy who has the mental aspect down, it's a question of athleticism, which can maybe be compensated for a little, but can't be taught.
Joey C had a catch and shoot off a screen that was very quick release. He could do that against almost anyone if he’s fed right.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see them get Alex more shots. He needs double digit attempts.
Nah. His real value is in doing everything else (passing, taking care of the ball, disruption on D, spacing the court). He's not an elite scorer yet, but he's elite for his age and position at some of those other things. 6-8 shots a game with 4 of them from 3 seems about right to me.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Pro #3. Clingan had a rebound in the second half basically without jumping and grabbed it away from Buffalo players and got the put back. Lappas, on the commentary, had an off the cuff, completely impromptu, "wow" comment. It's a comment a coach makes when they are watching all sorts of plays and someone just stands out above and beyond. That same type of comment happened several times during AJax's freshman year when he would just make a play you can't coach and you can't gameplan against. It's just one player being better than everyone else on the floor and coaches notice those types of things.
I hate to have the captain obvious post, but we are gonna love that kid. Lapis also commented about how Clingan was keeping the ball high. That’s a small, incremental, improvement that makes a huge difference in his game. I think watching Donovan improve and grow is going to be one of the huge pleasures of being a UConn fan. He is smart, a hard worker and, obviously, incredibly physically gifted.

Reaction Score
My 2 cents so far:
I'm thrilled that everyone seems to see Alex's intangibles
Alex is 7-11 FT so far - I expect that to become 9-11 in the future
Alex is 4-14 from 3 so far - I consider that a starting slump that will be 6-14
I'm not surprised by Donovan's effectiveness, but I am happily surprised by his lack of fouling
I thought Donovan would be limited this year by foul trouble that to his credit, he has avoided
Low # of fouls = More productive minutes = Results we are seeing

When we were closing out the game I hated our entry passes into the corners where Newton was trapped.
He dealt with it but I think we need better execution there. I would think a high entry pass to Clingan could be a strategy where he could keep the ball high and turn and distribute to a guard. If he is fouled it is better than a backcourt turnover. He has experience being swarmed and should stay poised.

Reaction Score
When we were closing out the game I hated our entry passes into the corners where Newton was trapped.
He dealt with it but I think we need better execution there.

Our press break looked abysmal. First time we've seen a press, so no surprise. Hope we're working on that in practice.

Reaction Score
Our press break looked abysmal. First time we've seen a press, so no surprise. Hope we're working on that in practice.
I think part of it was being lazy. We were going slow and taking our time where I feel like a normal press break with Diarra, Andre, or Hawkins will be zooming down the floor to find shooters.

It was refreshing to see Newton pretty much say f it after a while and dribble his way out of multiple corner traps. Very hard to do, regardless of how easy he made it look.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
My 2 cents so far:
I'm thrilled that everyone seems to see Alex's intangibles
Alex is 7-11 FT so far - I expect that to become 9-11 in the future
Alex is 4-14 from 3 so far - I consider that a starting slump that will be 6-14
I'm not surprised by Donovan's effectiveness, but I am happily surprised by his lack of fouling
I thought Donovan would be limited this year by foul trouble that to his credit, he has avoided
Low # of fouls = More productive minutes = Results we are seeing

He dealt with it but I think we need better execution there. I would think a high entry pass to Clingan could be a strategy where he could keep the ball high and turn and distribute to a guard. If he is fouled it is better than a backcourt turnover. He has experience being swarmed and should stay poised.
i reasonably expect ajax to be the replacement for tymarts regular spot of catching the inbounds around 15-20 feet up the sideline.

Reaction Score
I think part of it was being lazy. We were going slow and taking our time where I feel like a normal press break with Diarra, Andre, or Hawkins will be zooming down the floor to find shooters.

It was refreshing to see Newton pretty much say f it after a while and dribble his way out of multiple corner traps. Very hard to do, regardless of how easy he made it look.

splitting two defenders to pass or dribble in a double-team isn't easy. Usually your best hope in the corner to keep an inside pivot foot so you can spin out and get a pass off. Impressive stuff.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom