Proposed National NIL Legislation to Provide Clearinghouse | The Boneyard

Proposed National NIL Legislation to Provide Clearinghouse

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Can those who are much smarter on these more important kind of things break this down please? I want to say they are going to try and do something about Pay For Play? But I’m mostly just confused.

https://post original url/v3hGkF7Ndd

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Can those who are much smarter on these more important kind of things break this down please? I want to say they are going to try and do something about Pay For Play? But I’m mostly just confused.

Let’s make the link actually work lol

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Let’s make the link actually work lol

Funny GIF

Reaction Score
Ban "pay-for-play" by prohibiting boosters, collectives and other third parties from "offering inducements to attend or transfer" to specific institutions.

Finally people are waking up. I still can't believe how the NCAA screwed up the implementation of NIL with no real rules in place.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Ban "pay-for-play" by prohibiting boosters, collectives and other third parties from "offering inducements to attend or transfer" to specific institutions.

Finally people are waking up. I still can't believe how the NCAA screwed up the implementation of NIL with no real rules in place.
They would have been sued as soon as they adopted the rules. This way the government does it instead and the NCAA saves all those lawyers' fees

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

The transfer rules being lifted just added to throwing everything out of wack.

Might not be as bad if guys still had to sit out a year without proper reasoning.

Reaction Score

You’re surprised? Emmert was still in charge

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

I thought it already was against the rules to induce someone to attend / transfer? Obviously we know it happening, but I’m pretty sure it’s already against the rules…

Edit: after reading the article it looks like this gives more opportunity to actually prosecute & hold accountable.

Attachments

• D7B12465-DBAF-4B5D-BEDA-0A6DFE132922.jpeg
    D7B12465-DBAF-4B5D-BEDA-0A6DFE132922.jpeg
    392 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Reaction Score

This basically sums up my feelings, I don't expect this bill to go anywhere

Reaction Score
I find any limits on what players can earn preposterous
The bill in congress that has proposed is strictly grandstanding
Based on what Judge Kavanaugh, I had said, I find it hard to believe that this would pass constitutional muster anyway
It seems to me the only way that you can limit NIL if the players become employees and contractually their limits to what they can earn outside of their scholarship
I would assume the college hierarchy would be completely opposed to their players being employees
Why isn’t there any cry to put a limit on what coaches can make?
Or maybe a limit on how many coaches, staff members administrative people, etc. can be employed by the university the hypocrisy is boundless
I,MHO, a College athletics should embrace the NIL as it lessons I need for them to be forced to pay the players
I suppose the only downside is that those providing the NIl money might be diverting it from what day contribute to the university directly
Colleges built the system where everyone got a nice piece of the pie except the players
Thankfully that has changed and for me every day I see a player make some money it’s a good day

Reaction Score
Based on what Judge Kavanaugh, I had said, I find it hard to believe that this would pass constitutional muster anyway
It seems to me the only way that you can limit NIL if the players become employees and contractually their limits to what they can earn outside of their scholarship
I would assume the college hierarchy would be completely opposed to their players being employees
Or maybe a limit on how many coaches, staff members administrative people, etc. can be employed by the university the hypocrisy is boundless
I,MHO, a College athletics should embrace the NIL as it lessons I need for them to be forced to pay the players
I suppose the only downside is that those providing the NIl money might be diverting it from what day contribute to the university directly
Colleges built the system where everyone got a nice piece of the pie except the players
Thankfully that has changed and for me every day I see a player make some money it’s a good day
You do realize the issue is not with players getting NIL money? The issue is players getting signing bonuses to attend a university. That’s not a name image or likeness…that’s an inducement

I don’t see why the NCAA couldn’t put rules in place very easily. They have rules for recruitment and rules for accepting a scholarship. And if violations occur, player can’t play. How happy would mega bucks donor be when he paid a kid 500k to sit on the bench for a year. And then the kid enters the transfer portal the following year looking for another payday.

Reaction Score
Why shouldn’t someone get a signing bonus to attend the university if someone wants to pay it?
I don’t think the university is paying it so if a private citizen wants to do that, why shouldn’t he be able to?

Reaction Score
I admit ive only read notes on the bill, but there isn't any limit on income for the players. They can make as much as they want. It just says "why" (as in not explicitly pay for play), and "from whom" (i assume these would be 'employers' in good standing, although im not sure) they can get it.

It also has some protections for the players from coaches or "employers" who don't want to pay as much as they agreed to. This was actually a problem this past season, and caused problems in more than a few locker rooms.

Again, ive only read pieces, and Im not saying i agree with this, or that i dont, but ive seen worse when it comes to NIL legislation.

Reaction Score
Why shouldn’t someone get a signing bonus to attend the university if someone wants to pay it?
I don’t think the university is paying it so if a private citizen wants to do that, why shouldn’t he be able to?
Because it’s against the rules. These are supposed to be NIL deals.

You want college athletics to become unrestricted free agency? Fine. Then stop with the farce of calling it college sports and have the colleges license their brands to a semi pro league.

As mentioned above, I’m not against the amount. it’s what it’s paid for. If Bobs wants to pay DC 500k after he’s enrolled, to do commercials—great. He shouldn’t be allowed to pay him 500k to pick UConn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
College basketball has been professional for the past 50 years the players have been paid in the form of a scholarship
It’s a farm system for the NBA in until recently, there was no competition for that
Complete free agency sure, why not
Why should there be a limit on players so that you can delude yourself that college basketball isn’t already professional?

Reaction Score
They would have been sued as soon as they adopted the rules. This way the government does it instead and the NCAA saves all those lawyers' fees
If they had just kept the old transfer rule of waiting a year to play this ‘pay to play’ would have been greatly reduced or eliminated. No booster was going to pay a kid 500k to sit on the bench

doing both together was lunacy but about what u would expect from Emmert.

Reaction Score
College basketball has been professional for the past 50 years the players have been paid in the form of a scholarship
It’s a farm system for the NBA in until recently, there was no competition for that
Complete free agency sure, why not
Why should there be a limit on players so that you can delude yourself that college basketball isn’t already professional?
NIL is not just about basketball, but all sports. Your view of this, if played out will destroy college athletics and result in worse situations, not better, for the overwhelming majority of student athletes and universities.

Reaction Score
This is a sweet article for UConn and something I hope all recruits see!

"Events like Thursday’s D’Amelio Footwear launch party is what sets Marc’s collective apart. UConn athletes who sign with the D’Amelio Huskies Collective are intrinsically linked to one of the largest names on social media, and beyond. They are actively promoting a brand. They aren’t only receiving a direct deposit for a set amount of money each month. It’s bigger than that."

Reaction Score
The social media numbers on the girls are insane...Charli has neary 200M followers between Instagram & Tik Tok, and her sister has over 75M....I'm too old to comprehend those numbers....

Reaction Score
NIL is not just about basketball, but all sports. Your view of this, if played out will destroy college athletics and result in worse situations, not better, for the overwhelming majority of student athletes and universities.
How so

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom