Proposal To Let Athletes Transfer Instantly After Coaching Change Gaining Steam | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Proposal To Let Athletes Transfer Instantly After Coaching Change Gaining Steam

Reaction Score
This might be a great employment plan for mediocre coaches. Say your team has gone 6-6, 7-and 5-7 the last few years. At many schools that would put the HC on the hot seat. But what if the AD has to consider the possibility that such a move would gut the roster and leave a new coach starting from scratch? It's hard enough to put together a good recruiting class in a coaching transition year, but combine that with losing top players from the existing roster and an AD would have to think twice. It would probably take 3 or 4 years minimum to recover.
Good point. This would surely put the coaches even more in the drivers seat than they are now. Don't wanna give me what I want? Ok, them I am leaving and so is half your team.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
I know its a quaint notion, but this rule would not be necessary if kids committed to the school and not to coaches. Not allowing kids to transfer to the location of the new coach will curtail a lot of the mass exodus fear, but this like any change is loaded with potential issues.

Let's say you are a mobile, dual-threat QB who committed to a coach that was going to run a system that worked well with your abilities. Then that coach leaves after your redshirt year for another school and is replaced by someone who wants a pro-style passing game and you have a very limited future. Does that seem fair to you?

Same thing in reverse - you're a WR with deep threat speed but after a coaching change, you now spend all your time blocking because you've become a triple option team.

On top of that, the "school" you commit to only gives you one year scholarships and they can essentially dump you at the end of any given year. And they can prevent you from choosing another school if they want - does that sound fair to the kids?

Those are extreme examples but we've all seen cases where a coaching change led to some players becoming nailed to the bench for some reason. The Big 12 proposed solution is the closest thing I've seen to an answer to many of the problems without just going to 100% free agency.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Great, so now even more kids will be communications and pottery majors to protect their transfer flexibility.

There is no good solution to this and I strongly believe that any form of immediate free agency will destroy college football and the product. We will have kids playing hot potato on their school choice all they way down to July every year. And it will suck for the kids too because many are joining teams to be with certain kids only to find roster chaos which means system chaos.

While there is no clear connection, I would give kids a 6th year of eligibility if while on scholarship their head coach changes. You only get one extra year even if you endure multiple head coaching changes. This means kids like Levenberry through coaching changes and injuries would get one more bite at the apple. I think this could help many without roster upheaval which will burn out coaches and the fans and the product. This also gives many kids two years of eligibility while at grad school which shouldn't be a problem.

Reaction Score
So, in the future, when a Scott Frost leaves UCF for Nebraska, he can take however much of his UCF roster with him?
No he can't take them with him but the Alabama's and Florida State's may come in and recruit UCF's best players that were undervalued in HS and blossomed in college.

Reaction Score
Well dang....is this one step closer to free agency like in pro sports? (not trying to start a Boneyard riot...it's just a simple question.)

Reaction Score
Everyone wants something...

Football coaches transfer idea: Graduates earn a year back

>>The American Football Coaches Association wants the NCAA to consider allowing players who transfer and sit out a season at their new school to earn back that year of eligibility by graduating.<<

>>Berry also said the coaches would like changes to the transfers rules so the school receiving the player takes on any penalties to the team's Academic Progress Rating if the transferring player had a grade-point average below 2.6. Currently, the player's original school is in danger of losing a point toward its APR if the player transfers out with a GPA below 2.6. A team can face NCAA penalties if its APR falls below certain thresholds.<<

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Everyone wants something...

Football coaches transfer idea: Graduates earn a year back

>>The American Football Coaches Association wants the NCAA to consider allowing players who transfer and sit out a season at their new school to earn back that year of eligibility by graduating.<<

>>Berry also said the coaches would like changes to the transfers rules so the school receiving the player takes on any penalties to the team's Academic Progress Rating if the transferring player had a grade-point average below 2.6. Currently, the player's original school is in danger of losing a point toward its APR if the player transfers out with a GPA below 2.6. A team can face NCAA penalties if its APR falls below certain thresholds.<<
One could argue that that school is failing to educate the student athlete so why not let another school take a shot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom