Proposal “Circulating” Around CFB That Would Expand Playoff To 8 Teams | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Proposal “Circulating” Around CFB That Would Expand Playoff To 8 Teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
How broken of a system is it? I mean the top 4 teams are deserving. You vould make a case for Georgia, but are you saying that this years winner somehow is not the best team?

Please

It's a TV show. 23 tournament games are more fun than 23 craptastic bowl games.

You can still have the same conversation about who's "deserving" of the top 4 seeds, or the 8 first round byes, if that really matters.

Reaction Score
How broken of a system is it? I mean the top 4 teams are deserving. You vould make a case for Georgia, but are you saying that this years winner somehow is not the best team?

Please

The playoff selection itself is probably the least broken thing about the entire FBS system. It PROBABLY gets it right who the best four teams in the country are.

The system itself is ridiculously broken, and will never be fixed the way it probably needs to be to be anything more than “your pedigree, or the pedigree of your friends, is all that matters”. And since football will never abolish conferences, take control of scheduling so that there’s as close to evenly spread competition as possible, and divest itself of its legacy postseason, we will be stuck with what we have.

Reaction Score
If they go to a 128 team playoff system all we need to do is get better than one more team in addition to UMass and we're in!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
They need to explictly define the goal of the CFP, other than money of course. Is it:

1. Determine a champion
2. Determine the best team
3. Determine the 4 best teams
4. Determine the teams with the 4 best seasons (most deserving)

Those are four different things. They are doing none of the four. They are picking the 4 most politically palatable teams. The bias (euphemistically, the eye test) is off the charts. That Georgia with a terrible loss was still in the equation in what was otherwise a very easy selection this year exposes that.

Under scenario 1 and 2, you would never have 2 teams from the same confernce. If you can't win your league you are clearly not the champion or the best team unless you adopt a system more like BB and add all viable teams or limit it to confernce champions.

If you are just looking for the 4 best teams, which is the current claim, you need to rely on power rankings and other metrics, with the eye test as a last resort. There is no way for a human to process that amount of data.

The 4 most deserving are the ones with the best record and most quality wins. Not because of confernce affiliation but becuase they beat better teams. The idea that a .500 SEC win is better than a win over an 8 win PAC team is pure bias. Especially when 3 of those wins are usually garbage.

Reaction Score
I'd love to see at least 12 teams in the playoffs. Every conference champ gets an auto bid and 2 at large to the highest ranked non conference champs. #1 team in the country gets two byes and #2 gets one bye

Reaction Score
The playoff selection itself is probably the least broken thing about the entire FBS system. It PROBABLY gets it right who the best four teams in the country are.

The system itself is ridiculously broken, and will never be fixed the way it probably needs to be to be anything more than “your pedigree, or the pedigree of your friends, is all that matters”. And since football will never abolish conferences, take control of scheduling so that there’s as close to evenly spread competition as possible, and divest itself of its legacy postseason, we will be stuck with what we have.

When you have a finite number of elite athletes, most ending up at SEC schools, the balance of power when it comes to talent is grossly unfair. The first round of the NFL draft is filled with SEC talent, so I think it's fair to say that the committe will award a conference champion for the play in games.

Have a good strength of schedule and win your conference championship.

To expand to 8 teams means rewarding top tier teams that already have a recruiting advantage as well as Notre Dame.

There is no need to further reward the SEC and Notre Dame by expanding the playoff system.

I have spoken

Reaction Score
I've been saying this for a few years now. It's about time.

Take the 5 power 5 conference championship winners and then 3 at large. Makes it so there is a legitimate chance for every team that is a legitimate contender

Reaction Score
Too late to help us. Future undefeated AAC teams should secure a spot the playoff.

Reaction Score

in SEC country an eight team playoff would consist of the top 4 SEC teams, 1 G5 team, Big Ten champ, ACC champ and one at large (which could be another SEC team). No need for a 16 team playoff since there are only 14 teams in the SEC.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
When you have a finite number of elite athletes, most ending up at SEC schools, the balance of power when it comes to talent is grossly unfair. The first round of the NFL draft is filled with SEC talent, so I think it's fair to say that the committe will award a conference champion for the play in games.

Have a good strength of schedule and win your conference championship.

To expand to 8 teams means rewarding top tier teams that already have a recruiting advantage as well as Notre Dame.

There is no need to further reward the SEC and Notre Dame by expanding the playoff system.

I have spoken
Screw Notre Dame
They have screwed up the system as well as the OBE by thinking that they are privileged.
I despise that school and it's uppity attitude - believe me Irishfan there is no jealousy in my body towards ND, my brother and cousin both married ND grads and they are great people but are obnoxious in claiming that ND is the end all in college athletics. But why? What the hell has ND won? crap except an occasional Womens Basketball NC. Any football year end Number 1s before a real playoff mean zilch - popularity contests
Notre Dame may recruit well but that hasn't translated into NCs - its all name recognition

Reaction Score
Screw Notre Dame
They have screwed up the system as well as the OBE by thinking that they are privileged.
I despise that school and it's uppity attitude - believe me Irishfan there is no jealousy in my body towards ND, my brother and cousin both married ND grads and they are great people but are obnoxious in claiming that ND is the end all in college athletics. But why? What the hell has ND won? crap except an occasional Womens Basketball NC. Any football year end Number 1s before a real playoff mean zilch - popularity contests
Notre Dame may recruit well but that hasn't translated into NCs - its all name recognition

Great post. The best part was when you said that, “there is no jealousy in my body toward ND”. It’s almost like you actually believe it.

Reaction Score
I've been saying this for a few years now. It's about time.

Take the 5 power 5 conference championship winners and then 3 at large. Makes it so there is a legitimate chance for every team that is a legitimate contender

No G5 inclusion makes your scenario DOA. You don't have to like it, but it's the truth.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
If there a G5 school worthy they would claim one of the 3 spots

That would pretty much guarantee no such team would ever be deemed worthy.

24 teams, all conference champions get to play. It’s the easiest way to increase parity across NCAAF, which means it will never happen, lol.

Reaction Score
Screw Notre Dame
I despise that school and it's uppity attitude -
believe me Irishfan there is no jealousy in my body towards ND, my brother and cousin both married ND grads and they are great people but are obnoxious in claiming that ND is the end all in college athletics. But why? What the hell has ND won? crap except an occasional Womens Basketball NC. Any football year end Number 1s before a real playoff mean zilch - popularity contests

ND fields an independent football team and its other sports play in a conference.

That sounds like another school that now thinks such an arrangement is a wonderful idea.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
ND fields an independent football team and its other sports play in a conference.

That sounds like another school that now thinks such an arrangement is a wonderful idea.

Still pushing the fallacy that ND is an Independent, I see.

Reaction Score
do you think that the ND football team is in a conference?

They are obligated to play 5 ACC teams per year. They are tied to the ACC Cotton Bowl. From what I understand, if Notre Dame decides to join a conference, I think they have to select the ACC, not sure though.

That as close to having one foot in the door as you can get. I wonder how big of a contract they can renegotiate when 2025 arrives. I'm sure a lot of networks will pony up big money to have Notre Dame football on their network

Reaction Score
They are obligated to play 5 ACC teams per year. They are tied to the ACC Cotton Bowl. From what I understand, if Notre Dame decides to join a conference, I think they have to select the ACC, not sure though.

That as close to having one foot in the door as you can get. I wonder how big of a contract they can renegotiate when 2025 arrives. I'm sure a lot of networks will pony up big money to have Notre Dame football on their network

ND will likely re-sign with NBC without putting it out for competitive bidding, just like it has done every time since 1991.

Reaction Score

so that sounds like a no, the football team is not in the conference. yes, they have an affiliation with the conference, but didn’t get the ability to play in the Orange Bowl this year which would have happened had they actually been in the conference. having an affiliation with a conference is a long way from being a full member of the conference.

Reaction Score
I’m sorry but the final four is fine. Do we really need to see a G5 school like UCF get blown out by an OSU/LSU? Also, doesn’t this model help the P5 schools get more teams automatically in? Sure a G5 gets in but that’s one vs the 7 other P5s.

I know people are going to be upset with this comment but it’s the truth. Don’t give me UCF beat Auburn. That wasn’t the olay

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
8 would be a good start, but 24 is where we want to be. That’s the only model where UConn has a chance of being “on the bubble” someday.
24 just seems like it would be too many games. I guess 24 becomes 12 in a weekend so what are talking an extra couple of weekends?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom