Proof that Aresco Reads the Boneyard | The Boneyard

Proof that Aresco Reads the Boneyard

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...nlikely-america-12-will-be-new-big-east-name/

"Regardless of what’s ultimately settled on, the most nonsensical approach would be to attach a number to the name. Fortunately, common sense appears to have prevailed on that front as Aresco stated he believes a number will not be part of the new name."

Thank goodness. At least some small amount of sanity has been restored. Now let's see how the front office ends up making it worse... :confused:

Reaction Score
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...nlikely-america-12-will-be-new-big-east-name/

"Regardless of what’s ultimately settled on, the most nonsensical approach would be to attach a number to the name. Fortunately, common sense appears to have prevailed on that front as Aresco stated he believes a number will not be part of the new name."

Thank goodness. At least some small amount of sanity has been restored. Now let's see how the front office ends up making it worse... :confused:

Good news. Now the conference is just AMERICA!

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
I read somewhere that the presidents want the word METRO incorporated into the new name in some fashion or other..... Get ready for metrosexual jabs for the forseeable future. Hope I'm wrong

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I read somewhere that the presidents want the word METRO incorporated into the new name in some fashion or other..... Get ready for metrosexual jabs for the forseeable future. Hope I'm wrong

Agreed. God help us...

Reaction Score
Metro-Heartland Conference
Atlantic-Heartland Conference...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Metro-Heartland Conference
Atlantic-Heartland Conference...

The problem with the use of the word "Metro" in our new conference name (besides the obvious "metrosexual" jokes mentioned by sammydabiz) is the fact that it was the old name used by Conference USA. So in other words, instead of being called "C-USA 2.0", we will be called "C-USA0.5". It's like being called the Radio Shack Tandy or the Commodore 64...

sammydabiz

Reaction Score

Here it is (towards end of article):
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...-east-agree-irish-exit-2-years-early-join-acc

"Last week ESPN reported that America 12 Conference was a favorite for the league's new name and the conference's law firm had purchased several domain names with variations of America 12 in it. However, the league's presidents responded that they do not favor a name with a number in it and are asking its marketing group for a name that highlights the metro nature of the new schools in the league, a source said."

So re-reading the article, maybe not using exactly the word metro..... geez lets hope so.... Reeks of ConfUSA to me.....edit* did not know/remember that UConnDan. So I guess I wasn't smelling things lol

pj

Reaction Score
We should just go with "American Coast Conference." It gets us ahead of the other ACC in the alphabet, and maybe ESPN will get confused and send the checks to the wrong headquarters.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
The problem with the use of the word "Metro" in our new conference name (besides the obvious "metrosexual" jokes mentioned by sammydabiz) is the fact that it was the old name used by Conference USA. So in other words, instead of being called "C-USA 2.0", we will be called "C-USA0.5". It's like being called the Radio Shack Tandy or the Commodore 64...

Off topic** but John Elway's Football & Hunt for the Red October on floppy for the Tandy was pretty bad- back in the day,

Reaction Score
People will find a way to mock us no matter what the name is, time to let that arguement go, we aren't forming a conference with a bunch of schools that have the best value perception wise, we will be made fun of.

The Metro had many good schools associated with it before the merge with the GMWC and its reputation really only took a hit after the name change and its foray into D1 football. But regardless of the actual name we will carry the CUSA2.0 crap because of the schools we are now in bed with, most fans will not get the Metro-CUSA relationship from the Metro name simply because they don't remember that CUSA came from the Metro.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
We should just go with "American Coast Conference." It gets us ahead of the other ACC in the alphabet, and maybe ESPN will get confused and send the checks to the wrong headquarters.
Who else loves this idea. I would lmao when the talking heads at ESPN say were in the ACC.

Reaction Score
Those who wander up to Storrs for the first time will be scratching their heads about this "Metro" designation. Let's hope Aresco isn't worried about this apparent misnomer based on one particular rural school's expected departure.

Reaction Score
I like Atlantic Metro Conference. No matter which name is chosen, people will still complain.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm telling you it's going to Beast Metro, or BM.

Reaction Score
He definitely doesn't read this message board.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/42919/aresco-says-america-12-name-unlikely

"We've got a lot of optimism. We're realistic about the future, but we also know that we've got an outstanding TV deal that's going to give us great exposure and that will expose the name as well and the brand and that's something that's going to be really important."

Anyone who cares, you can vote here. I voted for American Metro. That name would work wonders for us. Make us look as if we are in a large market, which we are.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/42841/what-should-big-east-name-itself

Reaction Score
Don't forget the Metro Conference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro_Conference

They would have been the first superconference.

Reaction Score
Build the brand in the south--where it matters. Call it Big Country and cross market with the country music industry. The country music and football lifestyle will bring people in. Post game concerts, festivals etc. Nothing will grow the brand like little hotties in Daisy Dukes and cowboy hats tailgating at the games. Bring that culture to this conference and it will be fun. There is a million ways to cross market the two.

UConn, Temple and Cincy are the only programs that will need to adjust.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Build the brand in the south--where it matters. Call it Big Country and cross market with the country music industry. The country music and football lifestyle will bring people in. Post game concerts, festivals etc. Nothing will grow the brand like little hotties in Daisy Dukes and cowboy hats tailgating at the games. Bring that culture to this conference and it will be fun. There is a million ways to cross market the two.

UConn, Temple and Cincy are the only programs that will need to adjust.

Except the only school in the league that is in the country is the one in Storrs. Memphis, Tunlane and Cinci were all in the old Metro Conference (as was Louisville...giving more credence to the ACC's screw up). I like Metro Atlantic better than Atlantic Metro, but there is the alphabetic consideration.

Reaction Score
Except the only school in the league that is in the country is the one in Storrs. Memphis, Tunlane and Cinci were all in the old Metro Conference (as was Louisville...giving more credence to the ACC's screw up). I like Metro Atlantic better than Atlantic Metro, but there is the alphabetic consideration.

If you like Metro Atlantic, you're in luck, because there already is one, and they have a school right here in CT called Fairfield University.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom