Promotion race to EPL | The Boneyard

Promotion race to EPL

Reaction Score
Before i go to the promotion conversation... Sunderland is dead last in the Championship, and most likely getting relegated again.

Wolverhampton has clinched a top 2 finish and guaranteed promotion so now it’s a battle between 6-10 teams still vying for the other 2 spots.

With 3/4 matches remaining (4 for Cardiff and Derby, 3 for the rest) you have Cardiff, Fulham, Villa, M’boro, Millwall, and Derby in the hunt (with Bristol, Brentford, Sheffield United, Preston North End, still with mathematical, but long shot, chance to get to the top 6 and the play-off for the 3rd spot).

I would love to see Fulham back up, and then give me either Derby (I’ve been pulling for them the past few years) or Millwall (give me as many London clubs as possible... and their fans are lunatics).

I think it will be Cardiff and Fulham to go up tho.

Derby and Millwall have the toughest games remaining... Key matches left:
Millwall v Fulham;
Derby v M’boro;
Derby v Cardiff;
Villa v Derby;
M’boro v Millwall;
Millwall v Villa;

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Sunderland is following Wigans fall from grace I see. Didn't they go from Prem to league 1 in two years? I believe Wolverhampton may have as well. Crazy how a team that was in the Premier League for many years can crash so hard. Also shows how hard it is to get back up for some. However, some clubs seem to bounce back and forth (QPR).

Reaction Score
I heard a pretty good interview this morning on The Football Show. Wolves sounds like they are loaded and can push into the mid table next season.

Reaction Score
The race for 5 & 6 is up for grabs. Fulham or Cardiff will be 2nd/3rd. Villa has 4th locked up, could get 3rd, but unlikely given Fulhams remaining schedule.
M’boro (72); Millwall (69); Derby (68, but has played one less than the rest); Brentford 68; Preston North End (67); Bristol (66); and Sheffield United (66) all in play with 2 matches left (3 for Derby).

Midweek:
Derby v Cardiff (in 2nd place)

Next Weekend:
Villa v Derby
M’boro v Millwall
Sheffield United v Preston North emd (pretty much an elimination match)
Fulham v Sunderland (last place) - Friday
Bristol @ Nottingham Forest(17th place)
Cardiff @ Hull (18th place)
Brentford @ Barnsley (22nd place)

Final weekend:
Millwall v Villa
Bristol v Sheffield United
Brentford v Hull (18th place)
Preston v Burton Albion (23rd place)
M’boro @ Ipswich (14th place)
Derby v Barnsley (22nd place)
Cardiff v Reading (19th place)
Fulham @ Birmingham (20th place)

Reaction Score
Sunderland is following Wigans fall from grace I see. Didn't they go from Prem to league 1 in two years? I believe Wolverhampton may have as well. Crazy how a team that was in the Premier League for many years can crash so hard. Also shows how hard it is to get back up for some. However, some clubs seem to bounce back and forth (QPR).
Portsmouth went from the Prem to the 4th division in something like 4 seasons as well. But they had some MAJOR financial problems. I remember growing up watching them with the likes of Defoe, Crouch and Kevin Prince-Boateng for a season or two I believe.

Reaction Score
Portsmouth went from the Prem to the 4th division in something like 4 seasons as well. But they had some MAJOR financial problems. I remember growing up watching them with the likes of Defoe, Crouch and Kevin Prince-Boateng for a season or two I believe.

Portsmouth was a financial collapse. Sunderland looks like pure neglect.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Wasn't there a financial crime involved too? It was kind of like Rangers in Scotland. They got sent down to bottom division or close to it, and had to fight their way back up. Granted, they cruised back up unlike Portsmouth. However, I don't think they, Rangers, lost their financial backing like Portsmouth lost theirs. Plus England is a lot tougher to rebound in than Scotland.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Portsmouth was a financial collapse. Sunderland looks like pure neglect.
It's really just insane to see. Newcastle bounced right back after their relegation yet Sunderland is going down again possibly. Hoping my Swans stay up this year. I can see them having trouble even in the Championship

Reaction Score
Wasn't there a financial crime involved too? It was kind of like Rangers in Scotland. They got sent down to bottom division or close to it, and had to fight their way back up. Granted, they cruised back up unlike Portsmouth. However, I don't think they, Rangers, lost their financial backing like Portsmouth lost theirs. Plus England is a lot tougher to rebound in than Scotland.
I’m not too privy on what happened, but they weren’t sent down to the 4th division right away. They went down to the championship, stayed for one season then we’re relegated to League One the next season. Then went down to League Two right after that. So in 4 seasons they got relegated 3 times, I believe.

Reaction Score
Portsmouth had major financial issues around 2010 or so. They were relegated in ‘10, then again in ‘11. In 2012 they started the League 1 season with -10 points due to not paying players and they landed INC league 2 the next year. They were in administration at one point, and close to closing the doors all together.

They’re in League 1 now. On the outside looking in at being promoted. Long shot, but still mathematically in contention to be promoted to Championship.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Portsmouth had major financial issues around 2010 or so. They were relegated in ‘10, then again in ‘11. In 2012 they started the League 1 season with -10 points due to not paying players and they landed INC league 2 the next year. They were in administration at one point, and close to closing the doors all together.

They’re in League 1 now. On the outside looking in at being promoted. Long shot, but still mathematically in contention to be promoted to Championship.
Thanks. I remembered reading they had some penalty incurred on them. That being said, it is pretty crazy how they fell so fast. However, it also shows how great pro/Rel can be. Even if your team isn't doing great, you have a reason to care about every game. I know you Big 5 club fans don't ever know what that's like :p

Reaction Score
Fulham leading Villa 1-0 at the half. Sessegnon with the assist on the goal. He’s been sensational all season.

Reaction Score
Fulham down to 10 men at the 70th minute after Odoi picks up his 2nd yellow.

Nerve wracking final 20+ minutes for Fulham fans... still up 1-0

Reaction Score
Fulham win. Ream had a very solid match. Will be good to see them back in the PL.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That's one thing on ESPN+ that I would have liked to watch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom