Projections for top 7 conferences | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Projections for top 7 conferences

Reaction Score
Sure. I watched UCLA vs Stanford, and my comment was more UCLA is not a top tier PAC12 team. UCLA has had no serious injuries and UCLA has one excellent player, Jordin Canada, and no 3-point shooters. UCLA (under their current coach) doesn't run any offensive plays, more of a high pick and roll with Canada. That's it. Stanford actually has good spacing, and players that understand how to run an offense. Stanford has been without a couple of players most of the season, and finally has everyone back (healthy). They handled UCLA last night by making other UCLA team members, other than Canada, have to beat them. Tara is a much better coach than Close. I'm an OSU Alum, and Beaver fan, and Stanford will come alive in PAC12 play. They will finish in the top 3. Oregon appears to be a top 3 PAC12 team. I would suggest that OSU, Cal, and ASU will be the other top 3 team.

Right now, other than Oregon, I'm not sure how good the PAC12 is at this point. OSU has played very well all year, minus the Duke game. But they have yet to play a team with multiple athletic 4's/5's. UCLA plays Cal tomorrow, so we'll get a look-see at Cal. ASU is always a tough out in the PAC12. Really, I only feel Oregon could (as of today) go a good long way in the NCAA tournament.

Gotcha. I didn't realize UCLAA stinks from 3. But you said they only have 1 good player? You don't think much of Billings? A "tier 2 team" beating Baylor convincingly?

And who's been hurt for Stanford?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

McPhee has only played in 4 games this year. Carrington also missed several games. That's 2 of their top 3 scorers.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Gotcha. I didn't realize UCLAA stinks from 3. But you said they only have 1 good player? You don't think much of Billings? A "tier 2 team" beating Baylor convincingly?

There's always a risk of succumbing to recency bias and overreaction. Just a few days ago, many were giving Stanford up for dead and wondering if they could even finish .500 in conference. I was not one of those people, because Tara is Tara and because McPhee is a huge difference maker

I do have concerns about UCLA. I've watched them in multiple games now, and they seem to have peaked against Baylor (where they shot well from 3) and early against UConn. I'm not seeing them improve *as a team* since then. Their losses to Oklahoma State and Stanford actually looked quite similar. Cold cold cold shooting and an over-reliance on Canada to do it all. And it's not because Canada doesn't look for her teammates, but she can't pass it to them if they don't get open, and she can't take the shot for them when she does get it to them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
More PAC12 commentary. Watched WSU & UW play both of their respective games against UO & OSU. I'm very impressed with the UW team. Their new coach (from Long Beach State) has them already playing at a high level. They may not finish in the top tier of the PAC12, but they are going to upset a few Top Tier PAC12 teams this year. I don't know the name of the UW Coach, but I remember her Long Beach State team nearly took out the OSU Beavers in First Round of the NCAA Tournament last year. Her teams are aggressive (especially on defense) and play excellent team ball.

Reaction Score
Sorry guys/ladies. I respect your opinions and I know you watch the PAC 10 a lot but you are being way too overly critical / analytical with UCLA. They have en elite pg, and elite big and they have talent. IMO they belong as a tier 1.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Lotrader--the UW coach is Jodi Wynn. She has them playing much better than I expected this season. And Amber Melgoza is turning into a star, I did not see that coming. She barely played last year and averaged around 2 pts/game.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Hoophuskee--I thought 1 or 2 games is way too soon to be making any declarations about conference races. UCLA rebounded nicely today w/ a comfortable win against Cal. Splitting on the road is fine. They have a big opportunity next weekend when they host the Oregon schools.

Reaction Score
Sorry guys/ladies. I respect your opinions and I know you watch the PAC 10 a lot but you are being way too overly critical / analytical with UCLA. They have en elite pg, and elite big and they have talent. IMO they belong as a tier 1.
I agree they have an elite PG. Don't agree they have an elite Big. Monique Billings is an able bodied Big, but not elite.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom