OT: - progressive rock | The Boneyard

OT: progressive rock

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
It's been a week or so since we've had a new music thread. I heard a "music critic" on NPR a couple of years ago talking about progressive rock. Said it was big for a few years in the 70's and disappeared thereafter. It predated the 70's by several years and has never disappeared.

So let us know who your fave prog rockers are. ELP, King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, and especially the more obscure and less appreciated. I'll begin with the obscure (please hide your shocked face). Here's a band who were around for a year or so around 1970. I believe the sum-total of their output was an album and one additional single. I discovered them a few years ago in a "best bands you never heard of" post somewhere. Bought the album immediately and have loved it.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Here's one of my favorites from Procol Harum. @nwhoopfan will be glad to know this is what led me to looking up Walpurgisnacht, the spring version of Hallowe'en.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
One more from the late 90's-early aughts. From a Dream Theater album about what someone learns from a past-life regression. The album is brutally powerful, and this cut is achingly beautiful. I've literally listened to the album four times in the last couple of days.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Somehow I've never firmly grasped exactly what prog rock is. Listening to some of these songs I don't know, from bands I'm not familiar with, I'm certainly hearing influences that would lead to stuff like Boston and Styx, right?

Reaction Score
Something obscure from BB.....? Shocked, simply shocked I tell you. :):):)

But really, progressive stuff - a great idea.

This one from Traffic came to mind right away, haven't listened to it in years:

The lyrics to this one fit the dream scenario quite well

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Somehow I've never firmly grasped exactly what prog rock is. Listening to some of these songs I don't know, from bands I'm not familiar with, I'm certainly hearing influences that would lead to stuff like Boston and Styx, right?
From Wiki: the style was an emergence of psychedelic bands who abandoned standard pop traditions in favour of instrumentation and compositional techniques more frequently associated with jazz, folk, or classical music. Additional elements contributed to its "progressive" label: lyrics were more poetic, technology was harnessed for new sounds, music approached the condition of "art", and the studio, rather than the stage, became the focus of musical activity, which often involved creating music for listening rather than dancing.

So Yeah, Boston and Styx dabbled in the Prog Rock. They were also considered Arena Rock.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Pretty sure this fits. Always liked this song from their Point Of No Return album.

Lightning's Hand - Kansas

Reaction Score
I don't know if this qualifies but it's "out of this world." I was into New Age around this time so I really too progressive. Sorry.

Reaction Score
In between the Airplane and Starship days, Paul Kantner, Grace Slick, and friends like Jerry Garcia did some very interesting side projects. This was one of them - "Sunfighter" - the song is Holding Together:

Reaction Score
King Crimson, of course.

… The keeper of the city keys
Puts shutters on the dreams
I wait outside the pilgrim's door
With insufficient schemes
The black queen chants the funeral march
The cracked brass bells will ring
To summon back the fire witch
To the court of the crimson king...

Online statistics

Members online