Progress Report: UConn's Search For Depth | The Boneyard

Progress Report: UConn's Search For Depth

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"There’s no quick fix to a team with a small bench and limited options, especially in the middle of the season, but the No. 3 Huskies (24-2, 12-0) are starting to see signs they might get a little more help in March. Mikayla Coombs and Olivia Nelson-Ododa have grown a lot in the past month, coach Geno Auriemma said, and as the conference schedule winds down the duo can be expected to see a lot more minutes.

“We’re not the same team that we were a month ago,” Auriemma said. “We’re a much better team. Olivia’s not the same player she was a month ago, and Mikayla is not the same player she was a month ago.”

UConn’s Mikayla Coombs, Olivia Nelson-Ododa growing up, adjusting to expanded roles

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
One of my takeaways from the past month or so (since the USF game?) is the fact that most of the bench players are no longer afraid to shoot. The only one that still seems a tad hesitant is Mikayla and when she does shoot, it is usually a deep 2 or a 3 or trying a "highlight reel" drive. Regardless, she is taking the shot and you can't score unless you shoot the ball...so

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
What a difference from a month ago when Geno basically said he did not want to talk about Mikayla when asked.

Reaction Score
One of my takeaways from the past month or so (since the USF game?) is the fact that most of the bench players are no longer afraid to shoot. The only one that still seems a tad hesitant is Mikayla and when she does shoot, it is usually a deep 2 or a 3 or trying a "highlight reel" drive. Regardless, she is taking the shot and you can't score unless you shoot the ball...so
Coombs shoots, and I'm happy. She has made "some". Her role, without the shot, is dishing and controlling the offense/defense. In at she does a good job. She a very good ball handler and her passing is among the best--could be better, but even Moriah or Danger weren't that good as a soph (with injuries last year she is like a frosh and a half). Geno likes her game she is usually the next after ONO in the games--that speaks volumes. She is not Danger nor will she be this year but to back her up Coombs is the right person in the right position.
ONO has progressed beyond my greatest hopes. She will have effective minutes in big games come late March. I'm proud of her she is a quick learner and determined player--Yahoo OLIVIA..

Reaction Score
What a difference from a month ago when Geno basically said he did not want to talk about Mikayla when asked.
Geno is a perfectionist and with that personality; perfection doesn't come tomorrow, it comes NOW! So frustrations set in, wrong comments are made. With demands the kid(s) get better. Both Coombs and ONO had a lot to get though, while both have a ways to go, they have excelled--even a perfectionist can see that.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Coombs shoots, and I'm happy. She has made "some". Her role, without the shot, is dishing and controlling the offense/defense. In at she does a good job. She a very good ball handler and her passing is among the best--could be better, but even Moriah or Danger weren't that good as a soph (with injuries last year she is like a frosh and a half). Geno likes her game she is usually the next after ONO in the games--that speaks volumes. She is not Danger nor will she be this year but to back her up Coombs is the right person in the right position.
ONO has progressed beyond my greatest hopes. She will have effective minutes in big games come late March. I'm proud of her she is a quick learner and determined player--Yahoo OLIVIA..
I was not being negative towards Mikayla, just posting my opinion and observations based on the general statement about shooting that I had made.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think with Mikayla finally having confidence on the defensive side, she can really focus on her shooting form to the mid range for her junior year.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It warms my heart to hear that about Mikayla. I knew that ONO would progress as the season went on, but was concerned about Coombs since she was supposed to have a sophomore leap, and didn't really seem to have one.

Her shooting is atrocious, but everything else she does, she does well. Ketia Swanier was a starting PG for UCONN and she never had a decent shot until her JR or SR year IIRC. UCONN has enough shooting options that they don't need 5 scorers on the floor at all times. Very few teams in the country put 5 scorers on the court at the same time, and because she does everything else well, she's an asset when out there... Good for her (and ONO)!!!!

Reaction Score
I was not being negative towards Mikayla, just posting my opinion and observations based on the general statement about shooting that I had made.
Forgive me if I came across as critical of your comment--I'm a true believer your comment is as valuable as any others. Like you I was just voicing my opinion on this season, this team and Coombs. Nothing sinister intended nothing insulting (I hope) given.
Coombs does not shoot well--that's a given. Her other attributes gets her PT.
I hope we --have no issues. Honestly, that was not supposed to be negative. I don't always have proper phraseology but 97 percent of the time, I try for the positive, not negative.

Reaction Score
Short bench —- lets be blunt

In a tournament run we will most likely get to games where we need a couple of strong 5-8 mins from ONO, maybe more. Hopefully.

Maybe 2-3 mins from Batouly, and hopefully no mins from Mikayla but she’s there in the back pocket if needed.

The rest should not play the rest of the way unless it’s mop up or conceding a loss.

We’re probably looking at ND, Louisville and Baylor or Oregon here.

They should be at the working out kinks stage right now, trying a couple things they may need for addressing some specific matchups, and giving playing time to the guys they may actually need in a pinch.

Last edited:

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Forgive me if I came across as critical of your comment--I'm a true believer your comment is as valuable as any others. Like you I was just voicing my opinion on this season, this team and Coombs. Nothing sinister intended nothing insulting (I hope) given.
Coombs does not shoot well--that's a given. Her other attributes gets her PT.
I hope we --have no issues. Honestly, that was not supposed to be negative. I don't always have proper phraseology but 97 percent of the time, I try for the positive, not negative.
Same here.
I have no problem with what you posted. I just wanted to be clear that my comment concerning Mikayla was not intended to be a negative comment in any manner.

Reaction Score
Same here.
I have no problem with what you posted. I just wanted to be clear that my comment concerning Mikayla was not intended to be a negative comment in any manner.
I'm so old I'm not sensitive to much--I try to not be sarcastic--sometime facetious--snarky (I may be if I knew what it meant). I'm not here to argue or fight--I like fun. I have a different opinion than many because I have a different platform than they--but it's opinion--some deal in stats and facts, I write opinions. Coombs is viewed by some as not so good, and others, like me, with great potential. OPINIONS. I enjoy your words and posting--I took no offense in anything you wrote.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom