Prognosticators Game 14 (Marquette) Predictions | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Prognosticators Game 14 (Marquette) Predictions

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Not sure what to make of Marquette. On paper, W-L wise, they look pretty good. They are in 2nd place in the Big East and boast a win over Villanova. But they have not played DePaul or UCONN yet, and their 2 losses were against Milwaukee. Yikes! And they lost to Seton Hall.

They beat SJU twice - by 4 and by 11. They recently beat Creighton by 13, and Georgetown only by 7. If you just look at the record, they are pretty decent, but I don't think this game will be close. I'll be disappointed if we don't win going away by 25+.

UCONN 86
Marquette 60

Eric:
I've always followed Marquette. A number of my "Domer" friends are from the Milwaukee region and have ties to Marquette, so I've always seen how their men's and women's teams are doing. I also have a more vested reason, which I'll get to shortly.

Per those two losses:
  • Milwaukee was the second game of season and Marquette was coming back from a road victory in the Dakotas. They got whacked by a seasoned, quite good Milwaukee team that 13-2 or 15-2.
  • Marquette hadn't played over the course of nearly three weeks (cancellations, postponements) before the Seton Hall game and then they ran into AEH having the collegiate shooting performance of her career at Walsh gymnasium. They came back to beat SJU two days later.

I'm really interested in this game not to see if there's an upset brewing -- UConn should win by at least 15 -- but how Megan Duffy's team performs against top-notch talent and coaching. Duffy, as most of you know, is an ND alum and disciple of both MM and Kim Barnes Arrico. Her teams play good defense (hold teams to 60 ppg), rebound well (just under 41 per game, 10 more than opponents) and execute on the offensive end (they shoot nearly 48% from the floor). They have to because the talent level is not that of a top P5 program.

However, they're just not spunky:
  • Guard Selena Lott averages 16 per game on 47% overall shooting and 42% from 3-pt land. Lott is a senior who has gotten progressively better.
  • Grad. Forward Lauren Van Kleunen averages just under 12 ppg and about 5.5 rpg. Smart player who will hit the elbow jumper and attack the lane.
  • Camryn Taylor is a 6'2" soph. forward who has some athletic ability and will battle. She's also averaging over 11 ppg and 6 rpg.

Jordan King is a sophomore guard who reminds me a bit of, well, Megan Duffy. Scrappy, smart floor general.

Not sure how Marquette will respond to this initial challenge. What I'm interested in is to see how they do from this game, through the two DePaul games and the rematch. I'm sure Duffy is interested, too, in how this set of players (most of whom were benchwarmers and/or incoming frosh when she came aboard) perform.

Should be interesting....

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Eric:
I've always followed Marquette. A number of my "Domer" friends are from the Milwaukee region and have ties to Marquette, so I've always seen how their men's and women's teams are doing. I also have a more vested reason, which I'll get to shortly.

Per those two losses:
  • Milwaukee was the second game of season and Marquette was coming back from a road victory in the Dakotas. They got whacked by a seasoned, quite good Milwaukee team that 13 or 15-2.
  • Marquette hadn't played over the course of nearly three weeks (cancellations, postponements) before the Seton Hall game and then they ran into AEH having the collegiate shooting performance of her career at Walsh gymnaisum. They came back to beat SJU two days later.

I'm really interested in this game not to see if there's an upset brewing -- UConn should win by at least 15 -- but how Megan Duffy's team performs against top-notch talent and coaching. Duffy, as most of you know, is an ND alum and disciple of both MM and Kim Barnes Arrico. Her teams play good defense (hold teams to 60 ppg), rebound well (just under 41 per game, 10 more than opponents) and execute on the offensive end (they shoot nearly 48% from the floor). They have to because the talent level is not that of a top P5 program.

However, they're just not spunky:
  • Guard Selena Lott averages 16 per game on 47% overall shooting and 42% from 3-pt land. Lott is a senior who has gotten progressively better.
  • Grad. Forward Lauren Van Kleunen averages just under 12 ppg and about 5.5 rpg. Smart player who will hit the elbow jumper and attack the lane.
  • Camryn Taylor is a 6'2" soph. forward who has some athletic ability and will battle. She's also averaging over 11 ppg and 6 rpg.

Jordan King is a sophomore guard who reminds me a bit of, well, Megan Duffy. Scrappy, smart floor general.

Not sure how Marquette will respond to this initial challenge. What I'm interested in is to see how they do from this game, through the two DePaul games and the rematch. I'm sure Duffy is interested, too, in how this set of players (most of whom were benchwarmers and/or incoming frosh when she came aboard) perform.

Should be interesting....
Great insight. I did not know the "reasoning" for the 2 losses. I just wanted to point out, though, my thoughts on the MOV also had to do with recent games. Beating SJU by an average of 8, Creighton by 13, and Georgetown by 7 is not a great "effort" against weaker teams...

UCONN beat SJU by 32, without Williams, Makurat, and for the most part Griffin. That is literally 3/5 of our normal starting lineup (when everyone is healthy).

You may well be right- Marquette is obviously on the right path and it will bode well for the Big East if other teams besides UCONN and DePaul step up on a consistent basis. My initial thought was that the MOV would be in the 15-18 PPG range, but when I dug into it, I felt like it should be 25-30.

Of course a lot depends on who plays for UCONN tonight - we know Anna is out indefinitely. I have not seen if Christyn and/or Aubrey will be back. If all 3 are out, I suspect the MOV will be closer to 15. But we will see soon enough!!

Reaction Score
Great insight. I did not know the "reasoning" for the 2 losses. I just wanted to point out, though, my thoughts on the MOV also had to do with recent games. Beating SJU by an average of 8, Creighton by 13, and Georgetown by 7 is not a great "effort" against weaker teams...

UCONN beat SJU by 32, without Williams, Makurat, and for the most part Griffin. That is literally 3/5 of our normal starting lineup (when everyone is healthy).

You may well be right- Marquette is obviously on the right path and it will bode well for the Big East if other teams besides UCONN and DePaul step up on a consistent basis. My initial thought was that the MOV would be in the 15-18 PPG range, but when I dug into it, I felt like it should be 25-30.

Of course a lot depends on who plays for UCONN tonight - we know Anna is out indefinitely. I have not seen if Christyn and/or Aubrey will be back. If all 3 are out, I suspect the MOV will be closer to 15. But we will see soon enough!!
Maybe we're a better team with Nika and Edwards starting, esp in terms of ball movement and shooting. If so, we should win by 30!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom