OT: - Problems for Cambage and Team Australia | The Boneyard

OT: Problems for Cambage and Team Australia

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Cambage stated she withdrew due to mental health concerns, but according to this article, there is more to the story. Her withdrawal came AFTER an incident being investigated by Team Australia.

Liz Cambage Incident During Australia's Scrimmage vs. Nigeria Under Investigation

The organization said it's looking into the matter for a possible "breach of the integrity framework and code of conduct." The news came after ESPN's Olgun Uluc reported she had been involved in a physical altercation and a "charged verbal exchange" during the scrimmage against Nigeria.

Cambage acknowledged that "things got heated in the Nigeria game" and turned physical. However, she said the game was filmed and would thus provide evidence in her defense

Stay tuned - seems like the story is unfolding as we speak!

Jon Stewart Popcorn GIF

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
This is a difficult topic to comment on because Cambage has stated she suffers mental problems and I don't want to disparage someone for their mental struggles. I don't know if she is getting counseling, but based on her behavior and the number of time she uses her mental struggles to explain her actions I'd say she should be.

Knowing nothing about all that, and based only on what I see with my own eyes and the on-record, first hand comments I have read or seen, I dislike her public persona because she comes across as a whining, thin-skinned bully. She is always the victim. She has stated in an interview I saw that she is a "horrible person" on the court experiencing "rage blackouts". She said she feels sorry for players that have to go against her due to her behavior. The first hand facts of this particular incident may, or may not come out, but based on history, the only revelation that would surprise me is that Liz was the innocent victim she would like us to believe she is.

OBTW, her reaction to Curt Miller's unfortunate, but rather mild, tongue-in-cheek comment to the refs a while back was over-the-top demeaning, overtly racist and highly public. Much worse in many ways than the original offense. The WNBA really booted their response to that IMO. Miller issued a very quick and heartfelt apology and then the W hammered him. Meanwhile, in response to Cambage's comments the W did nothing.

Reaction Score
This is a difficult topic to comment on because Cambage has stated she suffers mental problems and I don't want to disparage someone for their mental struggles. I don't know if she is getting counseling, but based on her behavior and the number of time she uses her mental struggles to explain her actions I'd say she should be.

Knowing nothing about all that, and based only on what I see with my own eyes and the on-record, first hand comments I have read or seen, I dislike her public persona because she comes across as a whining, thin-skinned bully. She is always the victim. She has stated in an interview I saw that she is a "horrible person" on the court experiencing "rage blackouts". She said she feels sorry for players that have to go against her due to her behavior. The first hand facts of this particular incident may, or may not come out, but based on history, the only revelation that would surprise me is that Liz was the innocent victim she would like us to believe she is.

OBTW, her reaction to Curt Miller's unfortunate, but rather mild, tongue-in-cheek comment to the refs a while back was over-the-top demeaning, overtly racist and highly public. Much worse in many ways than the original offense. The WNBA really booted their response to that IMO. Miller issued a very quick and heartfelt apology and then the W hammered him. Meanwhile, in response to Cambage's comments the W did nothing.
She is thoroughly unlikeable and probably my least favorite WNBA player. To whatever extent the mental health issues are true, of course I feel sorry for her, but she seems to continually put herself in unflattering situations that are invariably followed by painting herself as a poor, innocent victim of a whole range of isms. I’ll pass!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
She reminds me of the type of player that her coach was when he was at Detroit. Dirty but always blaming everyone else for the incidents (altercations) that he (she) started.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I agree with everything everyone said. Apparently there is a thread on the general hoops board, but since i never go over there, i did not realize. So i put the info up over here for UCONN fans who don't venture to that board.

And not to ever disparage anyone's mental health struggles - they are real - just ask Naomi Osaka and all the other elite athletes who are coming forward with other sad stories - but she used that reason AFTER the whole kerfuffle with Team Nigeria to excuse herself from the Olympics.

If she really struggles from mental health issues, my heart goes out to her. BUT if she used that as an excuse to leave the team over physical/verbal altercations that she started, then shame on her. Mental health is nothing to joke about, and to use it as an excuse to hide behind when she's done something to cause a huge problem is shameful (only if true). Not judging her since I don't know the whole story. BUT... food for thought...

And by the way, if the allegations are even remotely true, she should be censure by the WNBA as well. Many professional male athletes are punished for domestic violence and a host of other actions they do, and Cambage should not be immune to it vis-a-vis the WNBA IF it comes to light what she actually did.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom