Probably a nit pick but | The Boneyard

Probably a nit pick but

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How does Uconn schedule first night the same time as the hockey home opener. I know basketball and football are the "most important" but everyone can admit hockey was a success an up and coming. they should coordinate this so that major events don't overlap. Also I apologize if this has been discussed as I did a search and did not see anything.....and I visit here but not daily.

Reaction Score
How does Uconn schedule first night the same time as the hockey home opener. I know basketball and football are the "most important" but everyone can admit hockey was a success an up and coming. they should coordinate this so that major events don't overlap. Also I apologize if this has been discussed as I did a search and did not see anything.....and I visit here but not daily.
Think the significance of the 10/16 date for First Night is that it's the only way to get coverage on ESPN - First Night is usually aired in its entirety on ESPN3 and part of the rotating coverage on ESPNU. Tough to turn down national exposure for a hockey game that won't be aired on TV.

Reaction Score
If this is the case then why not schedule the hockey game for Saturday? I would normally attend first night but will be at civic center watching hockey. This annoys me.

Reaction Score
Last year first night was the same night as the fall concert, so incompetent scheduling is nothing new.

Reaction Score
A lot of students attend UConn and I'd be willing to bet that the two fan bases don't overlap much. Seems to me they'll be able to draw for both.

Edit: also, with the hockey game being played in Hartford, I wouldn't imagine a lot of students making that trip on a Friday night, anyway (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm guessing that they are banking on people like you going to the hockey game - first night is more of a show for the students, IMO.

Reaction Score

You are bringing up a good point/issue.

Being a student and if it bothers you, you have every right to bring this up to the higher ups. If you get a group of supporters you may be able to affect change in future hockey scheduling. Even the hockey players may even support you.

Keep us posted if you elect to do something beyond posting on this board.

Reaction Score
I love hockey, and I appreciate your angst, but the answer is really that hardly anybody cares about hockey.

I care that they are winning some big games, seem to have a coach who can recruit in a way to build a program and they are a UConn program. Other than that it's tough to follow them all in a sense you can go to the games for all of them. I do look in the papers and on the net to see how they do. Same with baseball, soccer etc etc...but this shouldn't be any big scheduling issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom