Private Real Estate Sale (No Agents) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Private Real Estate Sale (No Agents)

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Any yarders experienced with selling a home without real estate agents in Connecticut? Any Lessons Learned? How were closing costs different?

Lawyers,

Is this something you can do yourself? Is this something you SHOULD do yourself? What's a reasonable price to pay in Connecticut for sellers closing costs related to legal fees?

Reaction Score
I own a real estate investment company.

We purchased and sold upwards of 25
homes this year, mostly all without using the MLS.
We use a similar strategy to Zillow/open door of the fair cash offer, no fees, closing costs, commissions, etc.

I will say, If you have the ability to put your home on the MLS, you will probably make the biggest chunk of change, just because your putting it on “the market.” But the fees, agent commissions, constant showings, etc. add a lot of unnecessary noise that may be unappealing.

The truth is, people buy homes so many different ways now, the MLS is just another piece of the pie (yes, still a rather large piece).

If you can find a cash buyer, that offers you a price close to what you’d make after fees, commissions, etc... do it. It’s usually a quick close (<30 days), the buyer doesn’t need to get prequalified conventionally, and can make the process a whole lot smoother for you.

Just make sure you’re doing research about homes selling in your area so you are well informed. If your home is a 3BD/2BTH that is 20 years outdated, don’t count on the 4BD/3BTH new build construction down the street to be an equal comparison for price.

Reaction Score
As I mentioned in an earlier post my family are in the process of buying a FSBO. Luckily we have been dealing with the owner who is very responsive and willing to make things go as smoothly as possible. This is a sellers market and finding a nice FSBO is worth the extra effort due to houses going on the market and getting 15-20 offers within days of being on the market and you may find a seller who doesn't want many people in their house which was what happened with us. We ended up receiving a message on facebook after posting in the local town facebook page that we were looking for a house that bad 3 to 4 bedrooms and at least 2500 sq ft. We were inundated with messages within a few hours of people looking to sell. Just be mindful that you will get messages from realtors looking to represent you.

As for our mortgage process. We really wanted to support the smaller, local mortgage brokers but found that they couldn't really come close to some of these .com mortgage places. Costco is offering a service that limits the lender fees to $250 or less for executive members and lower interest rates that I could find. Ultimately at the last minute before we were to sign paperwork from one of the mortgage lenders through their site I received a text from lower.com who I inquired info from a few days prior. Not only did they match the Costco lender on the interest rate and APR but they came in with more cash back at closing and significantly lower closing costs. We aren't out of the woods yet as the house is being appraised tomorrow but so far I have nothing but positive things to say about them.

Reaction Score
That’s a great question, I actually went and asked Mrs. 82. I think what happened was we made a below asking price offer and they didn’t accept it until later. That’s probably why they had us at this meeting to take this otherwise stale offer to put it into a contract. That’s also why we drove by the look at the house again, because it had been a while.

My sense was that everyone in the room knew what was happening with this property except us.
I wouldnt use that agent again. When we moved to FL our agent pointed out things that we missed/weren’t aware of since we were new to FL. I recommend her all the time.

friends of ours sold 2 houses this year over ask using Howzer, paying a buyers broker %. I think most buyers are online now so once u get it on MLS everyone can see it.

Reaction Score
My law office enjoys a health residential real estate practice.

The biggest problem I have seen sellers encounter when attempting to sell their property themself (“For Sale By Owner” a/k/a “FISBO”) is that they do not know what the fair market value is.

I have seen listing prices for FISBO properties set too high causing the property to sit unsold, and I have seen sellers not understand the value of their property and set the price way too low. Be careful.

Hire an experienced attorney who does residential real estate on a regular basis. Don’t hire the attorney based upon what his/ her fee is.

Your one is likely your most valuable possession. The least expensive attorney is not always the best.
A good attorney is the key...especially in a FSBO. As for pricing, logical thing to do is just hire an appraiser before u market it. Then u know the price range.

Reaction Score
You may as well let the agent do the work if you’re going to pay them.
Also, If the buyer has a contract with their agent and the agent was the one who made them aware of the property, they are legally entitled to a commission whether they help handle the work load from this point forward or not.

Our agent would never cut out another agent. I don't know what the buyer's relationship w/ their agent is, and I'm not sure I even want to ask. This is why I would fulfill my obligation to our agent, even if she's not part of a deal. But I know if she's involved, then that means that whatever shenanigans the buyer may be up to (& I don't really know what it is) would not fly if indeed they have a contract with a buyer's agent.

Reaction Score
As I mentioned in an earlier post my family are in the process of buying a FSBO. Luckily we have been dealing with the owner who is very responsive and willing to make things go as smoothly as possible. This is a sellers market and finding a nice FSBO is worth the extra effort due to houses going on the market and getting 15-20 offers within days of being on the market and you may find a seller who doesn't want many people in their house which was what happened with us. We ended up receiving a message on facebook after posting in the local town facebook page that we were looking for a house that bad 3 to 4 bedrooms and at least 2500 sq ft. We were inundated with messages within a few hours of people looking to sell. Just be mindful that you will get messages from realtors looking to represent you.

As for our mortgage process. We really wanted to support the smaller, local mortgage brokers but found that they couldn't really come close to some of these .com mortgage places. Costco is offering a service that limits the lender fees to $250 or less for executive members and lower interest rates that I could find. Ultimately at the last minute before we were to sign paperwork from one of the mortgage lenders through their site I received a text from lower.com who I inquired info from a few days prior. Not only did they match the Costco lender on the interest rate and APR but they came in with more cash back at closing and significantly lower closing costs. We aren't out of the woods yet as the house is being appraised tomorrow but so far I have nothing but positive things to say about them.

I went through .com sites for my mortgage, and they couldn't match my agent's rec with a local bank rep (he was at KeyBank). My agent knew who would get me the best deal and also knew the local market so my appraisal was guided in a way (came in at over my buy price). Appraisals are an issue right now.

Anyway, for .25 points I was able to get 2.6% over 30 fixed with 25% down.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I went through .com sites for my mortgage, and they couldn't match my agent's rec with a local bank rep (he was at KeyBank). My agent knew who would get me the best deal and also knew the local market so my appraisal was guided in a way (came in at over my buy price). Appraisals are an issue right now.

Free money.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My law office enjoys a health residential real estate practice.

The biggest problem I have seen sellers encounter when attempting to sell their property themself (“For Sale By Owner” a/k/a “FISBO”) is that they do not know what the fair market value is.

I have seen listing prices for FISBO properties set too high causing the property to sit unsold, and I have seen sellers not understand the value of their property and set the price way too low. Be careful.

Hire an experienced attorney who does residential real estate on a regular basis. Don’t hire the attorney based upon what his/ her fee is.

Your one is likely your most valuable possession. The least expensive attorney is not always the best.
For a lot of people they wouldn't handle any other transaction for hundreds of thousands of dollars, yet the are going represent themselves for what may be the largest single assets? Pony up and pay a real estate attorney. You will likely get the cost of his fee back multiple times. Certainly in reduced hassle and stress if nothing else.

Reaction Score
A good attorney is the key...especially in a FSBO. As for pricing, logical thing to do is just hire an appraiser before u market it. Then u know the price range.
But how do you hire the "right" appraiser?

This is a problem I've had in my region. I did a refi in the spring and they sent a guy from 1 hour out of the city in the sticks. He came in $150k below my city's tax assessment for my property--(I thought the city was reasonable). We're putting ours for sale on Tuesday at higher than the city assessment.

I dread these appraisers (no offense to those of you who are appraisers).

Whereas the local bank works with appraisers they trust and know.

The way I see things, an appraiser who may not do a lot of volume in your neighborhood can be $200k below an appraiser that is trusted (I'm talking about a $600k house). Especially in my current neighborhood where houses come up for sale once in a blue moon (3 houses this entire year out of a stock of a few hundred).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Just make sure you’re doing research about homes selling in your area
Everyone thinks that there house is worth whatever the high water mark is for any home in the neighborhood. Tough for people to be objective.

Reaction Score

I would have loved to get a local guy/bank but I was able to lock in 2.5% for a 30 year loan with $3400 back at closing.

Reaction Score
This reminds me a bit of the process getting into my current house.

House #1. We found a house in a town on the train lines into the city that we liked. We had made a verbal offer with our realtor. The brokers and the seller decided that we would have a meeting together and fill out a formal written offer. My wife and I arrived a little early so we decided to drive by the house which was located on a steep hill. To our surprise, the property next to us had been subdivided and a new house was going up that in the sub-decided lot covered virtually the whole lot. The owner/builder had gotten around the two story limitation by making the “basement“ 10 feet high. So, wedged up against my lot, I had a 30 foot monstrosity being framed out. Additionally the new house was on the uphill side of us on a fairly steep hill. The effect of it would have been like living next to a drive-in movie screen. I looked at my wife and said I’m not even sure we’ll get enough sunlight to grow grass. We decided that we no longer wanted the property.

We went to meeting and told everyone we had just driving by the property. They immediately all got concerned looks on their faces. I said that we weren’t interested in the property anymore. The buyer says to me “look tell me a dollar amount that you would make you interested.” I said “there isn’t one.” I wished the seller well and walked out. He looked like he was going to be sick. I probably would’ve felt a little more bad
for him if it wasn’t for the fact he did not disclose that the adjoining lot was subdivided and that he had opposed the application for the zoning waivers for building of the new house on it.

House #2. We had been in the middle of a back-and-forth negotiation on a House that we liked when the realtor called up and said that the seller has decided to end the negotiations. I asked her “so there’s no deal? No possibility for negotiation?” She assured me there was not.

I hung up the phone and called the seller who are confirmed that she terminated negotiations because she felt like we were too far apart. I said that I completely understood and that I just wanted to tell her how much we enjoyed meeting her and wish her the very best of luck selling the property. She seemed a little taken aback. I told her that I also wanted to say it’s not that we didn’t think the house was lovely and worth what she was asking, it was just that we were young couple and at the top of our budget. I mentioned again that I knew that property had been on the market for a while so they really wished her the best of luck and I hope she found a buyer soon. By the end of the call the negotiation was re-opened.

My realtor called me up in a panic and said “you can’t talk to the seller, only I can talk to the seller.” I pointed out to her that I can talk to whomever I wanted and that until I did the deal has fallen through. I told her not to worry that I was still keeping her as my realtor, but she should just get out of the way and let me close the deal.

The seller came down and we went up but we were still a little far apart. The listing realtor called me and asked me if there was anything they could do. I said yes the seller has come down and I have come up, but the only one who’s holding fast is you. If you really want to make the sale reduce your commission, which they did.

Fast forward to the closing. Everyone was sitting around the table when the broker who had agreed to the reduced commission got up and said “there’s been some talk about reducing commission, on principal I’m not going to do that.” I said “Jim, I understand, I’m a man of principle myself. I see you have a calculator in front of you. Just so we all understand the math, can you do a quick computation for me?“ He said absolutely. I thanked him and said “can you take 6% and multiply it times zero, because on principal I won’t do business with someone who doesn’t keep their word.” You could’ve heard a pin drop in the room. I said that I’m sorry that Jim wasted everyone’s time and got up to leave. Jim said “ wait a minute, wait a minute, we can figure something out after we close.“ I said “well actually we can’t Jim since we’ve already established that you aren’t a man of your word, but what we can do is you can write me a check right now, in the amount that I tell you, and as long as you’re willing to do that I am willing to go forward in deference to everyone else in the room.” I came up with a new number that exceeded what he would’ve had to give me had we kept the original deal. As he went to write the check his hands were shaking so badly he had to excuse himself and run out in the hallway to be able to do it.

I’ve been living here for almost 40 years now and have socialized with both of the listing realtor and my realtor, but never the broker, oddly enough.

Bottom line is, if you’ve got a good listing, brokers will rush to list it and to sell it as long as you were using local agents. If, however, you use an out-of-town agent, the locals will never take anyone to look at it.

Great stories. Would have loved to have been there for the second one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom