Pride | The Boneyard

Pride

Reaction Score
I believe this team has it. That is why I believe the doubters who look at our performance against HC and think that USF will easily push us aside are wrong.

USF may be deeper than us. . Hell, they are deeper than us. But make no mistake. There is more than enough talent on this team to post a W next week end.

So I expect nothing less than a game of tides. Momentum swings. Advances and reversals. It will be a tough game to win. But at some point it will be there for the winning.

This post may not be rational. Then again, football is a game of emotion. So although it may be asking for a lot, it is not asking any more than the team will ask of itself. And their pride will not allow them to put up another sorry effort like we saw on Thursday.

Reaction Score
Yeah it was a tough game against HC. Pujols was great and his receivers caught the balls. It was 20-7 at half time. But players and coaches did not quit, did not look for excuses, i.e. injuries, ejections etc...They came back in the second half 20-0 and WON the game. There are moments in sports where a team finds itself, and believes in itself. May be that second half did it for this UConn team. Sure BS and Nate Hopkins came up big, but others did too, not to forget RE made the switch in the third quarter. There is no doubt that UConn will play hard in the USF game. Whether that will be enough, nobody knows. One can only hope.

Reaction Score
I'm happy that Edsall is back and that the guys came back and won the game. Sheriffs seems like a terrific kid and happy he was the hero.

USF will score at will on Sat. We have huge problems on defense and I may have to suit up at LB.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
We're one game into a season and there's already a legitimate case for 2 different guys to be the starting QB. Half the fanbase is already calling for the backup to start. No wonder Pal is posting a 'Pride' thread! ;)

Reaction Score
Well, just imagine if the kids didn't get it done. We wouldn't even be talking pride. Rather mass ritual suicide.

So, let's take the W and the silver of hope that maybe things keep rolling the right way.

PS- I watched the replay and all I can say is when you see Pujols on TV you realize that he might be as good a throwing QB as we will see all year. Kid was amazing. He has a pro arm and exceptional vision and accuracy.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I rewatched the game last night.

My take always in watching on tv vs live.

-Pindell had a good first qtr, 9 for 10.
-Hopkins made all his yardage by making someone miss in the hole. Great job.
-Pindell never recovered from his fumble, after that he struggled. In particular, he under threw one receiver - I forget who on a third down that was wide open and twice in the game when he aired it out it was into double coverage. I think the double coverage throws probably got Randy pissed.
-Sheriffs did under throw one ball but that looked to be on purpose to me as he was escaping pressure and the receiver was covered.
-Santana Sterling had a good game filing in for Junior Joseph. His qb blitz was better than JJ's typical effort it seemed to me.
-Coyle certainly had a few blown plays out there.
-Bell did not have a good game, his receivers always had a step on him.
-the 3-3-5 is not going to work if our DBs can't make better plays on balls in the air and demonstrate more closing speed. We also need a DB that is good against the run and is willing to crowd the box. Teams with a running game will be attacking us straight up the center.
-Having Fatusaki out there would have made a difference. We have a big drop off on Dline and nothing too exciting in the pipeline.
-Swann did show a burst. Jason Thompson might not be the best guy for the other kick returner, maybe we should risk Skanes.
-It's a little alarming that all over the field on offense and defense we didn't see our players getting more separation.
-In the end, I think the game did give everyone - players and coaches - a lot to learn from that you don't get from in house scrimmage.

On running plays do our receivers tip the defense by blocking too early? On some of the running plays I noticed our recievers did not run their routes, instead stalled for a moment and then tried to block.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Well, just imagine if the kids didn't get it done. We wouldn't even be talking pride. Rather mass ritual suicide.

So, let's take the W and the silver of hope that maybe things keep rolling the right way.

PS- I watched the replay and all I can say is when you see Pujols on TV you realize that he might be as good a throwing QB as we will see all year. Kid was amazing. He has a pro arm and exceptional vision and accuracy.
Agreed, Pujols is very good. And they had a few other good players to boot. Their DBs did decent and their recievers very good for the level they play in.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
How do you actually spell the HC QB name? I've seen it spelt about 5 ways. I'm mainly disappointed Bobby couldn't recruit his brother to come here :D

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
For having all these good players Holy Cross really manages to not win many games.

7-11 in the Patriot League over the last three seasons.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
For having all these good players Holy Cross really manages to not win many games.

7-11 in the Patriot League over the last three seasons.
Their QB is really very good. I believe he missed a lot of games a couple years ago and maybe a whole season. He reminds me of Milton from UCF who people compare to Marcus Marriota.

Reaction Score

-Pindell never recovered from his fumble, after that he struggled. In particular, he under threw one receiver - I forget who on a third down that was wide open and twice in the game when he aired it out it was into double coverage. I think the double coverage throws probably got Randy pissed.
-Sheriffs did under throw one ball but that looked to be on purpose to me as he was escaping pressure and the receiver was covered.
-Santana Sterling had a good game filing in for Junior Joseph. His qb blitz was better than JJ's typical effort it seemed to me.
-the 3-3-5 is not going to work if our DBs can't make better plays on balls in the air and demonstrate more closing speed. We also need a DB that is good against the run and is willing to crowd the box. Teams with a running game will be attacking us straight up the center.
-Having Fatusaki out there would have made a difference. We have a big drop off on Dline and nothing too exciting in the pipeline.
-Swann did show a burst. Jason Thompson might not be the best guy for the other kick returner, maybe we should risk Skanes.
-It's a little alarming that all over the field on offense and defense we didn't see our players getting more separation.
-In the end, I think the game did give everyone - players and coaches - a lot to learn from that you don't get from in house scrimmage.

On running plays do our receivers tip the defense by blocking too early? On some of the running plays I noticed our recievers did not run their routes, instead stalled for a moment and then tried to block.
Agree on the first of your three points, particularly the double coverage throws and not recovering from the fumble. Very impressed with the quickness that DP got the ball out in the first quarter though. Agree on the 3-3-5 as well as Fatukasi. Swann almost broke that return up the middle. The rest of it was not watching closely enough rather was making conversation with my long suffering wife who was gracious enough to go with me.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
While I fully expected quite a few growing pains this season, I cannot justify any positives from Thursday night's game (beyond the fact that we never could have come back from a 20-7 deficit when Diaco was in charge against anything better than a HS JV squad).

I had a conversation during the game about how I felt we should look a lot better than this and was told I was overreacting (I don't believe I was), that our youth could explain quite a bit of the shortcomings we were seeing. I cut that part of the conversation short but thought to myself that with two senior (and supposedly quality) cornerbacks, we should have had no problem shutting down HC's receivers.

Our defense needs quite a bit in the way of adjustments or we will be carved up at will against most of our opponents this year.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Slow down their ground game, Flowers is not a great passer. I'd send the house at them all game and play the run on the way to the QB.

Reaction Score

Great observations @Exit 4, I thought pretty much the same after watching it on tv.

-I like Santana Sterling a lot and I think he'll be a factor moving forward. He seems like a throwback.
-Coyle looked like he was gassed at times and took a few plays off, effort wise.
-I thought we were a little vanilla in the 3-3-5. We didn't blitz very much. That was probably by design with USF up next, give them nothing on film. I expect Coach Crocker to dial it up a bit more next weekend.
-I think Thompson is back there for two reasons. 1. They want Swann returning as many kicks as possible. 2. Thompson will block. FWIW, Thompson was a very good kick returner in HS. Shelton always had very well coached special teams.
-HC did look to be either step for step with our WRs or a step ahead of our DBs.
-Our WRs did a pretty good job blocking downfield, but they do need to help keep guys in the secondary honest. Our QBs need to hit a few deep balls and they'll have to respect the vertical threat. We weren't able to do that. The HC safety (#7), before he got hurt, was flying to the football on running plays.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Jason Thompson might not be the best guy for the other kick returner, maybe we should risk Skanes.

Great observations @Exit 4, I thought pretty much the same after watching it on tv.

-I think Thompson is back there for two reasons. 1. They want Swann returning as many kicks as possible. 2. Thompson will block. FWIW, Thompson was a very good kick returner in HS. Shelton always had very well coached special teams.

I suspect that Thompson's presence in Skanes's spot was due to Skanes having an academic or disciplinary issue (Davis starting in the slot in place of Skanes makes me believes this even more).

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Yeah it was a tough game against HC. Pujols was great and his receivers caught the balls. It was 20-7 at half time. But players and coaches did not quit, did not look for excuses, i.e. injuries, ejections etc...They came back in the second half 20-0 and WON the game. There are moments in sports where a team finds itself, and believes in itself. May be that second half did it for this UConn team. Sure BS and Nate Hopkins came up big, but others did too, not to forget RE made the switch in the third quarter. There is no doubt that UConn will play hard in the USF game. Whether that will be enough, nobody knows. One can only hope.
It beat the hell out of the Navy game last year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom