Pretend you are BD; what is your offensive game plan | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Pretend you are BD; what is your offensive game plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Agree w/all of the above. I expect BS to have lots of nervous energy, so I would look for an opportunity to get him running early before we ask him to find Noel, Alec or any other receiver, lest he start with a few high and outside fastballs that lead to 3 and outs.

I found the Nova media guide, including depth chart, online. The one thing they highlight on D is their inexperience up front. It appears RJ may get a chance to pop that Cherry early on

Reaction Score
I agree that we should run the ball because we should be able to do so against their defense. However, I want the first play to be like the first play we ran against Duke in '07. Get them thinking so that their LBs and safeties in the 3-3-5 stack can't just swarm to the running back on the handoff.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
First play is a fake dive from Johnson and Shirreffs goes around the corner for 9 yards. Pound the ball and then use play action up top for the TD

Reaction Score
My offensive game plan if I were Bob Disco would be to not be offensive.

Reaction Score
Or just let Verducci take care of it.

Frank Vertucci is gonna RUN BABY RUN!

Frank Verducci, a 31-year veteran of the coaching profession with experience in both college football and the NFL, is in his first season as the offensive coordinator at UConn this fall and has position responsibility with the Husky running backs.

1. Verducci was the run game coordinator and offensive line coach in 2011 at Florida and helped lead the Gators to a 24-17 win over Ohio State in the Gator Bowl.

2. Verducci was the offensive line and run game coordinator at Notre Dame during the 2009 season as the Irish ranked eighth in the country in total offense at 451.75 yards per game. He coached six offensive linemen that made NFL rosters.

3. Successful running attacks have been a common theme over the course of Verducci's collegiate coaching career. As Iowa's run game coordinator (1995-98), the Hawkeyes' single game (314), single season (1,691) and career (4,156) rushing records were eclipsed. The 1994 team set a record for fewest sacks allowed (10) in a season.

4. In 1997, running Tavian Banks set an NCAA record for fewest carries to reach 1,000 yards. During a five season span, the combination of Sedrick Shaw and Banks rushed to Iowa records for single game (4), single season ( 17) and career (33) rushing TDS. Both backs combined to rush for 66 TDs during that period

5. During the 2014 season at Northern Iowa, the team set single season and career records for rushing yards and rushing touchdowns while reaching the second round of the FCS playoffs. That team was the only squad to defeat FCS National Champion North Dakota State, ending a 33 game winning streak in the process. Offensive tackle Jack Rummels was selected first team Walter Camp All-American and signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

6. In 10 NFL seasons, Verducci contributed to the NFL single game rushing record (Cincinnati Bengals Corey Dillon -- 276 yards vs. Denver in 2000) along with Emmitt Smith's march past Walter Payton to set the NFL career rushing title in Dallas during the 2002 season.

7. Verducci worked with future NFL Hall of Famers Smith and Larry Allen during his time with the Cowboys. Verducci helped produce 1,000 yard rushers at each stop in Cincinnati (Corey Dillon), Buffalo (Willis McGahee) and Cleveland (Jamaal Lewis).

BOTTOM LINE - VERTUCCI AND A REVAMPED UCONN LINE COULD MAKE ARKEEL NEWSOME AND RON JOHNSON WEALTHY MEN IN THE NFL.

ARKEEL'S NUMBERS SHOULD BE OFF THE CHARTS THIS YEAR!

PS: Did I mention that we will have a two 6'6" 250 lb tight end set this year!!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Frank Verducci, a 31-year veteran of the coaching profession with experience in both college football and the NFL, is in his first season as the offensive coordinator at UConn this fall and has position responsibility with the Husky running backs.

1. Verducci was the run game coordinator and offensive line coach in 2011 at Florida and helped lead the Gators to a 24-17 win over Ohio State in the Gator Bowl.

2. Verducci was the offensive line and run game coordinator at Notre Dame during the 2009 season as the Irish ranked eighth in the country in total offense at 451.75 yards per game. He coached six offensive linemen that made NFL rosters.

3. Successful running attacks have been a common theme over the course of Verducci's collegiate coaching career. As Iowa's run game coordinator (1995-98), the Hawkeyes' single game (314), single season (1,691) and career (4,156) rushing records were eclipsed. The 1994 team set a record for fewest sacks allowed (10) in a season.

4. In 1997, running Tavian Banks set an NCAA record for fewest carries to reach 1,000 yards. During a five season span, the combination of Sedrick Shaw and Banks rushed to Iowa records for single game (4), single season ( 17) and career (33) rushing TDS. Both backs combined to rush for 66 TDs during that period

5. During the 2014 season at Northern Iowa, the team set single season and career records for rushing yards and rushing touchdowns while reaching the second round of the FCS playoffs. That team was the only squad to defeat FCS National Champion North Dakota State, ending a 33 game winning streak in the process. Offensive tackle Jack Rummels was selected first team Walter Camp All-American and signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

6. In 10 NFL seasons, Verducci contributed to the NFL single game rushing record (Cincinnati Bengals Corey Dillon -- 276 yards vs. Denver in 2000) along with Emmitt Smith's march past Walter Payton to set the NFL career rushing title in Dallas during the 2002 season.

7. Verducci worked with future NFL Hall of Famers Smith and Larry Allen during his time with the Cowboys. Verducci helped produce 1,000 yard rushers at each stop in Cincinnati (Corey Dillon), Buffalo (Willis McGahee) and Cleveland (Jamaal Lewis).

BOTTOM LINE - VERTUCCI AND A REVAMPED UCONN LINE COULD MAKE ARKEEL NEWSOME AND RON JOHNSON WEALTHY MEN IN THE NFL.

If I were Diaco and Verducci, attack their inexperience and test it early-it would be Johnson run followed by short play action passes to Newsome and our TE's. Gain confidence with
short passes, gain momentum and start pounding the ball and mixing in short slants and outs. . If available early.. on a 2nd and short, stretch the field deep.

Reaction Score

PS: Did I mention that we will have a two 6'6" 250 lb tight end set this year!!!

You make my eyes hurt...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Nova is going to expect the run.

-start with play action and a pass to the TE.
-then feed ron johnson
-then look for a screen to newsome
-then extend the field with a toss to a wr
-then feed ron johnson/newsome
-add delorenzo for another rb pass play
-more play action to wr/te
-rinse and repeat with a bit more run play mixed in.

Reaction Score
...now we're pretty much spitballin' DeLeone's wallpaper all over East Hartford
It is but the GDL problem was that there was no variation to the formations or the rhythm of the play calling. You can run the same play 10 times in a row and make it look different based on formation, motion, under center/shotgun, flip strong side, double tight end a single side, wide/short side of the field. With GDL, you knew the play based on the formation when they broke the huddle 80% of the time. I am really looking to see how many times they vary the formation for the same play or if the do the same formation every play of a series but run different plays off it (I kind of like that option more than the same play out of different formations).

Reaction Score
1st play - Play action to the left, with BS rolling out to the right, TE running an drag rout about 5 yards deep, other WR running a deep corner route, and he has 3 reads...deep route - if it is there, take it, if not check down to the TE, if there take it...if not tuck and run for as many yards as you can get.
2nd play - Johnson between the tackles,
3rd play - play action to RJ, end around hand off to Lemelle (sp?).
4th play - extra point
5th play - onside kick

Reaction Score
It is but the GDL problem was that there was no variation to the formations or the rhythm of the play calling. You can run the same play 10 times in a row and make it look different based on formation, motion, under center/shotgun, flip strong side, double tight end a single side, wide/short side of the field. With GDL, you knew the play based on the formation when they broke the huddle 80% of the time. I am really looking to see how many times they vary the formation for the same play or if the do the same formation every play of a series but run different plays off it (I kind of like that option more than the same play out of different formations).

I think you're off on something here. It was the Edsall offense in his later years that did this, and our offensive line was good enough from 2007 through most of 2010 to run the plays anyway. It was all based off the postion and movement of the linebackers pre-snap. By 2010, I could sit in my seats and predict where the ball was going to go at least 75% of the time.

Deleone came in and started tinkering with play calls and formations from day 1. There would be something new and never seen before in every game, supposedly to set up for something later in the season. We ran a play against UMASS in 2011 late in the game up 30 to nothing that was stupidity. It was used again with our QB that was concussed later in the year. Against Buffalo at some point, late in a game, we lined up in a frigging wishbone and choked the game away. We used that again in another game. We used all kinds of formations new, all the time on O when the clowns were in charge, and were good at nothing.

I want to see our offense get good at something again, and be able to build on it. We never manged to build and effective passing game on top of the running game we had. The one year we did have a threat in Easley, was our best team to date since the 1990's if you ask me.

I want to see us be that team again, and do it more than for 1 season.

Reaction Score
GDL always struck me as a guy who was too smart for his own good. I agree with Carl. His offense was this elaborate scheme with one play and formation setting up the offense for later in the game or even the season. The swing pass to Whitmer being the most blatant display of this madness.

He did all this while never bothering to focusing on the development of an offensive line that was physically able to block or getting a RB who tipped the scales at over a buck seventy. I've always assumed he viewed himself as winning games based on his superior knowledge and not much inclined to do the work to develop players. I don't know the man, but have heard that his personality was such that engaging with folks would not be a core competency.

Of course, P allowed this to all go on and hence Ward gave the stupid twins their walking papers.

Reaction Score
GDL was too smart for his own good, never bothering to focus on the development of an offensive line. Heard that his personality was not a core competency.

GDL was a disaster in every facet of the profession. He destroyed player psyches and sapped their confidence. He approached the game of football as if he had been chewing on lead paint chips for far too long. Good riddance to him. Let's embrace the staff we have. They just might be the right guys to bring us back to the glory days. It begins Thursday night. I can't wait!

Reaction Score
The real answer to the OP's question is .... "take what the defense gives you". If 'Nova puts 10 in the box and UCONN continues to try to pound the football, then they deserve to lose. You don't go to the line of scrimmage with 1 play call. You read the D and you take what they give you. Spackler's plan of wearing a team down can't actually take place until the 4th quarter .... we've got 3 other quarters to worry about.

It took Michigan and Rich Rod 1 series to realize how Edsall was splitting his DE's out wide ... and they adjusted. It took Army 1 series to realize UCONN was staying in a 2 deep ... and they adjusted. It took Navy and Paul Johnson 1 play to know how UCONN's D would audible ... they were prepared.

Good coaches prepare and adjust ... and good QB's read and react. Casey Cochran had IT. We'll know more about what Shirreffs and Verducci have this Thursday. I am looking forward to it!

Reaction Score
The real answer to the OP's question is .... "take what the defense gives you". If 'Nova puts 10 in the box and UCONN continues to try to pound the football, then they deserve to lose. You don't go to the line of scrimmage with 1 play call. You read the D and you take what they give you. Spackler's plan of wearing a team down can't actually take place until the 4th quarter .... we've got 3 other quarters to worry about.

It took Michigan and Rich Rod 1 series to realize how Edsall was splitting his DE's out wide ... and they adjusted. It took Army 1 series to realize UCONN was staying in a 2 deep ... and they adjusted. It took Navy and Paul Johnson 1 play to know how UCONN's D would audible ... they were prepared.

Good coaches prepare and adjust ... and good QB's read and react. Casey Cochran had IT. We'll know more about what Shirreffs and Verducci have this Thursday. I am looking forward to it!

Here is an example of how establishing the run sets up the passing game.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see a heavy dose of running with a few easy slants and screens to get Bs some confidence at the beginning of the game. I'd like to see 5-10 option plays for Sheriffs and Newsome in the slot a few times as well. I don't expect deep throws often, but I expect Thomas to get a couple deep throws and Bloom to get a lot of targets in the red zone.

Reaction Score
Offer some plays that makes fans think they are actually witnessing a BCS game plan (exciting, unanticipated sequences) as opposed to a glorified high school offense in disguise.

Most importantly, a plan that offers the offense a chance to win a game as opposed to hoping the defense and special teams can win it for them.

Reaction Score
I'd be surprised to see anything but a vanilla offense as there's nothing in Verducci's resume that suggests otherwise. Add to that an inexperienced QB and C. So the questions are: does Nova have the personnel and/or scheme to stop it, and if it does, will we make any adjustments? Can't wait to find out tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom