Pressure to perform | The Boneyard

Pressure to perform

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Its tournament time and the stakes are going to get much higher. Geno says that they have to play better and get ready for March. The thing is, do they really know what that means? CW and ONO have only been in 1 NCAA tournament, and not as go to players. The freshmen have never been.

They have been performing above expectations all year, and now they are told that they have to play better. I think that the end of the regular season is coming none too soon because they have to be mentally exhausted. We have supported Nika all year, and she has come a long way.

She does a great job defensively and runs the offensive as well as anybody. Having said that, it looks like Geno is finally getting frustrated with her reluctance to shoot. She was sent to the bench alot more last night than in most previous games. More Lya and Aubrey actually produced more, and should be continued going forward.

Now, what about Paige? Is she hitting the "freshmen wall", or is it something else? It was funny how Geno makes it perfectly clear that he wants her to shoot more, and I found it interesting that on his postgame interview that he said "nobody wants to shoot except Paige".

Isn't that what he wants or not? Now I believe that Geno may be the problem with Paige, and I'm saying that with complete respect for Geno. Paige has not had a good shooting game in the last 4 or 5. Could Genos constant talking about what he wants from her messing with her brain?

Paige has a natural game that was great when she first arrived. Nobody on this forum can deny that. She still is a freshman, but is he putting too much pressure on her to perform a way that is not her natural game? I think the next few weeks of rest will help, remember Stewie was terrible the last few weeks of the regular season her freshmen year, and the rest is history once the NCAAs started. If Paige isn't comfortable with her game we cannot go all the way.

Last edited by a moderator:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There is nobody better at preparing a team for the Big Dance than Geno and his coaching staff. This time of year, every top team has question marks. I’m reasonably confident that the Huskies will step up in the postseason.

Reaction Score
Except for the Shadow, no one knows what lurks in the hearts of men (or women). Paige has looked a bit tired of late; she's going through a lot for a (just) 18 year old away from home for the first time for an extended period. She's playing for a legendary program and a legendary coach. For the most part, she herself has been legendary. She has said more than once that the pressure she puts on herself is greater than anyone else can produce. But she is human. There: I've said it.
I think we should take her and the team as a whole, and say they've done very well given their lack of experience and of big game pressure. They've traveled a bunch; that alone must be wearing. They are taking classes, studying, testing. They are in the midst a pandemic where what happens the next day is in question. And they have only lost once by a narrow margin.
Geno has earned the right not to be second guessed by us. I have rarely seen a UConn team that works as hard as this one. No one is mailing it in. We may lose down the line, but it won't be for not trying.

Reaction Score
There is nobody better at preparing a team for the Big Dance than Geno and his coaching staff. This time of year, every top team has question marks. I’m reasonably confident that the Huskies will step up in the postseason.

Final Four 2017 : UConn fell behind 14 points to Mississippi State.
Final Four 2018 : UConn fell behind 10 points to Notre Dame.

UConn did not appear prepared at start of both games. Miss St and ND deserve credit for being prepared to execute their game plans.

UConn did storm back in both FF semi final games. Fans can blame referees or lucky (not) shots for both losses in OT. Improved preparation to start both games might have ended up with 2 UConn wins in regulation.

Head coaches in team sports do not make physical/mental mistakes on court/field. Head coaches also do not make great plays/decisions on court/field while pressured by opponents.

Head coaches sometimes appear to get too much credit for wins and not enough blame for losses.

Reaction Score
Its tournament time and the stakes are going to get much higher. Geno says that they have to play better and get ready for March. The thing is, do they really know what that means? CW and ONO have only been in 1 NCAA tournament, and not as go to players. The freshmen have never been. They have been performing above expectations all year, and now they are told that they have to play better. I think that the end of the regular season is coming none too soon because they have to be mentally exhausted. We have supported Nika all year, and she has come a long way. She does a great job defensively and runs the offensive as well as anybody. Having said that, it looks like Geno is finally getting frustrated with her reluctance to shoot. She was sent to the bench alot more last night than in most previous games. More Lya and Aubrey actually produced more, and should be continued going forward. Now, what about Paige? Is she hitting the "freshmen wall", or is it something else? It was funny how Geno makes it perfectly clear that he wants her to shoot more, and I found it interesting that on his postgame interview that he said "nobody wants to shoot except Paige". Isn't that what he wants or not? Now I believe that Geno may be the problem with Paige, and I'm saying that with complete respect for Geno. Paige has not had a good shooting game in the last 4 or 5. Could Genos constant talking about what he wants from her messing with her brain? Paige has a natural game that was great when she first arrived. Nobody on this forum can deny that. She still is a freshman, but is he putting too much pressure on her to perform a way that is not her natural game? I think the next few weeks of rest will help, remember Stewie was terrible the last few weeks of the regular season her freshmen year, and the rest is history once the NCAAs started. If Paige isn't comfortable with her game we cannot go all the way.
That's why you play the games.......................................... We (UConn) will find out how they stack up soon enough. Win or lose, it's been a really good season for the Huskies. a lot to look forward to.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
All of the players have been involved in big tournament games for a long time. High school and AAU or USA programs are all very competitive. The concept of pressure and "stepping it up" is not new to them.

As to our freshman, well, they are not really freshman anymore. Paige, Nika and Aaliyah are going to be just fine. So will the rest of the team.

Let's remember the tough games against Tennessee (won), Arkansas (lost) and South Carolina (won). Look at last night's game. Off night for the team. They looked tired, played tired and had to battle a very good, very physical team. They held Marquette 20+ points below their average. The result was a win.

Relax, sit back and enjoy this team and the rest of this season. We've got something special brewing in Storrs and they are not close to being done yet.

Reaction Score
That's why you play the games.......................................... We (UConn) will find out how they stack up soon enough. Win or lose, it's been a really good season for the Huskies. a lot to look forward to.

Reaction Score
A 5 game road trip and 3 games in 5 days is more of an explanation to me of what we saw last night than anything else. Evina had 3 points. Nika had 2, CW had 6 and Paige only had 13 but we still got control of the game and never relinquished it. That is a combined 24 points by 4 of our starters. Looking at just that statistic objectively and in isolation, you would think it would be a loss. It wasn't though. That says a lot to me. We just have to take it one game at a time like the team does and hope Evina is good to go. We need these next 4 days without a game coming up to refine, retool and rest. Let's see how they come out on Saturday. I think supercharged.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Paige will be fine. The freshman will be fine.
Only time will tell. Let's look back at Diana Taurasi's freshman year. After two injuries to All Americans, DT was "forced" into the starting lineup right before the Tournament. How did that work out. In the second round game against Colorado State, DT was 2 for 14 shooting ( 0 for 7 on 3 ptrs). She bounced back in the sweet sixteen game against NC State going 8 for 13 ( 6 for8 on 3s). The elite eight was okay, DT went 6 for 14 ( 3 for 9 on 3s), but then a disastrous semi final against ND, going 1 for 15 ( 0 for 11 on 3s). So, was this due to too much pressure on a freshman? We'll never know.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Paige and CW have averaged 36 and 34 minutes per game in 21 games. Those are high during a normal season. In this weird year, when the games have seemingly been on top of each other, the fatigue factor for these two is starting to show. What I don't get, and will never get, is why these two weren't taken out earlier in games that were already decided.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Final Four 2017 : UConn fell behind 14 points to Mississippi State.
Final Four 2018 : UConn fell behind 10 points to Notre Dame.

UConn did not appear prepared at start of both games. Miss St and ND deserve credit for being prepared to execute their game plans.

UConn did storm back in both FF semi final games. Fans can blame referees or lucky (not) shots for both losses in OT. Improved preparation to start both games might have ended up with 2 UConn wins in regulation.

Head coaches in team sports do not make physical/mental mistakes on court/field. Head coaches also do not make great plays/decisions on court/field while pressured by opponents.

Head coaches sometimes appear to get too much credit for wins and not enough blame for losses.
Really? UConn graduated the top 3 players in the draft and still manage to get to the national semifinals with an inexperienced team that lacked depth and size, and you somehow consider that to be coming up short? UConn fans really are a spoiled bunch.

Reaction Score
Really? UConn graduated the top 3 players in the draft and still manage to get to the national semifinals with an inexperienced team that lacked depth and size, and you somehow consider that to be coming up short? UConn fans really are a spoiled bunch.
I hear ya!
Didn't we have Collier, Nurse, KLS, Williams, and a freshman Guns and Chong? Yikes! What is that the Chicago Sky? Didn't the first 4 contribute to the 2016 championship team? The best team does not always win but I think it's hard to argue that we were not the best team in 2017 and 2018. Lack of depth- sure- but as HoopHuskie reminds me constantly, Geno only plays 6 anyway. Shoulda...Coulda..... Spoiled YES!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I hear ya!
Didn't we have Collier, Nurse, KLS, Williams, and a freshman Guns and Chong? Yikes! What is that the Chicago Sky? Didn't the first 4 contribute to the 2016 championship team? The best team does not always win but I think it's hard to argue that we were not the best team in 2017 and 2018. Lack of depth- sure- but as HoopHuskie reminds me constantly, Geno only plays 6 anyway. Shoulda...Coulda..... Spoiled YES!
I think it’s debatable whether or not UConn had the best team in 2017 or 2018. There was no debating that UConn had the best team in 2014, 2015 & 2016.

Reaction Score
This is a confusing season, to say the least. Can anyone here say this Uconn team is as good as say 2018-19 (Napheesa, KLS, Crystal,Megan,Christyn and Olivia)? or the 2017-18 (add Gabby & Kia, subtract Olivia). I don't think so. So what's going on? Has the level of competition declined significantly in the game overall? Or is it just the level of competition Uconn has faced this year? This is a very young team. But it is a team that needs more talent (which is coming) to rank with the great Uconn teams. Just my opinion of course.

Reaction Score
This is a confusing season, to say the least. Can anyone here say this Uconn team is as good as say 2018-19 (Napheesa, KLS, Crystal,Megan,Christyn and Olivia)? or the 2017-18 (add Gabby & Kia, subtract Olivia). I don't think so. So what's going on? Has the level of competition declined significantly in the game overall? Or is it just the level of competition Uconn has faced this year? This is a very young team. But it is a team that needs more talent (which is coming) to rank with the great Uconn teams. Just my opinion of course.
This team has intangibles. We scrap for rebounds. We get deflections. We've got people (PB) ready to take big shots. Remember the best we could muster was an off-balance leaner by Gabby. This team is more physical than those teams. We've got young players trying to prove themselves. We've got players that can shoot off the dribble. Kia and KLS couldn't create their own shot. This team gets offensive rebounds. It's people interlocking together to form a whole.
It's not on paper. That's why they play the games........

Reaction Score
Its tournament time and the stakes are going to get much higher. Geno says that they have to play better and get ready for March. The thing is, do they really know what that means? CW and ONO have only been in 1 NCAA tournament, and not as go to players. The freshmen have never been. They have been performing above expectations all year, and now they are told that they have to play better. I think that the end of the regular season is coming none too soon because they have to be mentally exhausted. We have supported Nika all year, and she has come a long way. She does a great job defensively and runs the offensive as well as anybody. Having said that, it looks like Geno is finally getting frustrated with her reluctance to shoot. She was sent to the bench alot more last night than in most previous games. More Lya and Aubrey actually produced more, and should be continued going forward. Now, what about Paige? Is she hitting the "freshmen wall", or is it something else? It was funny how Geno makes it perfectly clear that he wants her to shoot more, and I found it interesting that on his postgame interview that he said "nobody wants to shoot except Paige". Isn't that what he wants or not? Now I believe that Geno may be the problem with Paige, and I'm saying that with complete respect for Geno. Paige has not had a good shooting game in the last 4 or 5. Could Genos constant talking about what he wants from her messing with her brain? Paige has a natural game that was great when she first arrived. Nobody on this forum can deny that. She still is a freshman, but is he putting too much pressure on her to perform a way that is not her natural game? I think the next few weeks of rest will help, remember Stewie was terrible the last few weeks of the regular season her freshmen year, and the rest is history once the NCAAs started. If Paige isn't comfortable with her game we cannot go all the way.
She does seem to pass on good looks to take a less quality shot later. I would prefer her to take the first good look. Same with Nika, same with Evina. There’s an equal opposite reaction or consequence to passing on the good looking shot. Rght? Bad shot, missed shot, rebound, opposing team scores or someone picks up a bad foul at the other end. It adds up. Good thing they play inferior teams. This environment we’ve all been living in the past year also proves sports are just games. There’s a lot of important stuff going on outside it.

Reaction Score
Only time will tell. Let's look back at Diana Taurasi's freshman year. After two injuries to All Americans, DT was "forced" into the starting lineup right before the Tournament. How did that work out. In the second round game against Colorado State, DT was 2 for 14 shooting ( 0 for 7 on 3 ptrs). She bounced back in the sweet sixteen game against NC State going 8 for 13 ( 6 for8 on 3s). The elite eight was okay, DT went 6 for 14 ( 3 for 9 on 3s), but then a disastrous semi final against ND, going 1 for 15 ( 0 for 11 on 3s). So, was this due to too much pressure on a freshman? We'll never know.
What does this have to do with the price of eggs??

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
What does this have to do with the price of eggs??
In case you didn't read it, the OP was about pressure on freshmen. So, I wrote what happened to our most notable freshman.

Reaction Score
In case you didn't read it, the OP was about pressure on freshmen. So, I wrote what happened to our most notable freshman.
So how one freshman feels and reacts to pressure applies to a completely different person? Yeah right.

Reaction Score
Paige and CW have averaged 36 and 34 minutes per game in 21 games. Those are high during a normal season. In this weird year, when the games have seemingly been on top of each other, the fatigue factor for these two is starting to show. What I don't get, and will never get, is why these two weren't taken out earlier in games that were already decided.

When your starters have been playing together for 2+ years you can afford to rest them.

Reaction Score
The way to condition yourself to play long minutes at both ends is to play long minutes. It's no secret that Geno plays his top players for 40 minutes in big games.

Reaction Score
I hear ya!

Collier, Nurse, KLS, Williams and Chong - ALL WNBA Draft Choices !!! Not a bad bunch of players indeed !!!

Reaction Score
Collier, Nurse, KLS, Williams and Chong - ALL WNBA Draft Choices !!! Not a bad bunch of players indeed !!!
Don't forget Guns, WNBA Rookie of the Year. She was a freshman. Remember that sweet mid-range bank shot she hit against Baylor. Well- documented in the HBO Series.
Granted I do not think he had the best player in WCBB, but he was stacked just the same. (Skylar Diggins, Aja Wilson??)

Reaction Score
We've got players that can shoot off the dribble.
Paige can shoot off the dribble. No one else on the team is a good perimeter shooter from what I have seen. Also, this team does not hustle any more (or less) than previous teams. They all hustle or they would be on the bench. With the exception of a couple of games, the only framework we have is performance against pretty poor teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom