Press conference?? | The Boneyard

Press conference??

Reaction Score
We contested many of those wild layups but they made them, and got the foul calls on their end. My biggest concern is that Johnson doesn’t have an offensive game and then Singare, what’s he going to be like against Soriano?

Reaction Score
the sky is falling

Fast And Furious GIF by The Fast Saga

Dud's happen. We played their game. I felt like we got a lot of the calls in this game too, and I never feel that way.

The real assessment of this game will be how we respond. Last year's team could take a punch.....

Reaction Score
I don't get all the fan anxiety. Did people expect to go through the whole season without any hiccups? This is not a trend .

Reaction Score
I don't get all the fan anxiety. Did people expect to go through the whole season without any hiccups? This is not a trend .
IMO, it is not that they lost but the way they lost. Having Seton Hall consistently drive down the lane was brutal. And some of the passes from UConn were awful as well. Castle had 2 terrible turnovers but he is new and should learn. Hassan regressed and the other veterans had lazy passes as well.

This game gives Hurley plenty of teaching moments and the team can work on resolving these issues for a month or so while being focused on basketball during the break from classes.

Reaction Score
I always agree with his post game assessments. I think he was right on. To let a team that can't shoot threes get to the rim so many times is just mind boggling.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I always agree with his post game assessments. I think he was right on. To let a team that can't shoot threes get to the rim so many times is just mind boggling.
And the coaching adjustment was???????????????????????????????

Reaction Score
This was a zone game second half. Maybe switch to man late in shot clock to help with rebounding if that became a problem.

I think coach wanted them to figure it out. Play tougher. It didn’t happen.

Reaction Score
No but we didn’t expect to see whatever that was. Any reasonable fan understands the Kansas loss but I need to see a shrink now to have my memory suppressed.

Conference games on the road are hard. Marquette got pumped by PC. It happens. The people saying the other day that they were having a hard time finding losses on the schedule sounded just as dumb as the people who are now saying Holloway discovered some kind of blueprint that escaped detection by Bill Self, Mike Woodson and Hubert Davis.

Reaction Score
Conference games on the road are hard. Marquette got pumped by PC. It happens. The people saying the other day that they were having a hard time finding losses on the schedule sounded just as dumb as the people who are now saying Holloway discovered some kind of blueprint that escaped detection by Bill Self, Mike Woodson and Hubert Davis.
Because we looked great OOC and we should win these games, we were a double digit favorite. I thought we could lose on the road at Marquette and Creigton obviously and maybe Nova or Providence. I didn’t think we’d lose to seton hall.

Reaction Score
Because we looked great OOC and we should win these games, we were a double digit favorite. I thought we could lose on the road at Marquette and Creigton obviously and maybe Nova or Providence. I didn’t think we’d lose to seton hall.

That’s how sports works sometimes. They don’t play games on paper.

(They were an 8.5 pt favorite.)

Reaction Score
There are a few things that can be done, but I think it's not so much an in-game coaching adjustment that's required. It's buy-in in practice that those one-on-one defensive drills are not just drills, they are your in-game life. Pointing out to guys that the ability to keep a guy in front of you is important, and required when you should not be worried about him pulling up and shooting. Everyone knows SH is a bad outside shooting team. Now there are certain guys that have physical limits in their defensive abilities where no amount of yelling, coaching, etc can solve. That's where the real coaching is.

In game choices are: presenting the current game stats to them (Points in the paint etc.) and challenging them that preventing your guy from getting to the rim is priority 1, and that you will take him making jump shots. I'm guessing Hurley did that. He could have played more zone, but I suspect they haven't worked on many zones outside of the 1-3-1.

The more important coaching adjustment is long term. You have a few talented guys that are not great one on one defenders. The hope was that this wouldn't be as much of an issue with Clingan as a rim protector. You now know that there is going to be significant time where Clingan can't provide that role. This Seton Hall game has provided a blueprint to beat us by attacking us off the dribble. This is what Hurley has to prepare for. He made excellent adjustments to things learned last year mid-year, and I trust he will again.

The other thing to keep in mind is that this we had really everyone but Clingan have a bad game at the same time. This amplified the problem. That won't happen too often.

Reaction Score
I’m not delusional enough to think we would every road game. My point wasn’t that we lost but rather the way we lost. Not acceptable. And you can rationalize Marquette losing to Providence but SHU isn’t nearly as good as Providence. I would say as more coaching staffs view tape of our previous games, they will find chinks in our armor. That said, it doesn’t mean they could exploit them. The Hall did.

Reaction Score
It wasn't really the fact that we lost, just the manner in which we lost. We pressured them and played them to the three point line way too tight when they don't seem to be good shooters. They recognized this and got aggressive, beating our man every time for layups at the rim.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I think the real question is how much do you tinker with the offense, since it obviously doesn’t work close to as well with the way the Big East is reffed. Ie, how much do you want to stick with what you are going to want to run during the tournament.

Reaction Score
I’m not delusional enough to think we would every road game. My point wasn’t that we lost but rather the way we lost. Not acceptable. And you can rationalize Marquette losing to Providence but SHU isn’t nearly as good as Providence. I would say as more coaching staffs view tape of our previous games, they will find chinks in our armor. That said, it doesn’t mean they could exploit them. The Hall did.
Is it me or did Seton Hall make a lot of wild and crazy shots? They played very tight good D but basically went to the rim at will. Defense was always Hurley‘s focus. He musta been pissed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom