• Oregon

• Kentucky

• Maryland

• Oregon State

• Texas AM

• Arkansas

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
I've got usual suspects UConn, South Carolina, and Stanford, I also think Gary Blair is going to have a big year at Transfer U(Texas A&M) if Morris(Baylor, Rutgers) and Green(Tennessee) are granted immediate eligibility, which I'm sure they will. They also have Nixon(Notre Dame) who sat out last year and Pitts(Minnesota) who has already been cleared to play. These 4 transfers added to solid players like Kayla Wells, Ciera Johnson, and N'dea Jones makes A&M a very veteran and deep team. Gary Blair is a solid coach and I believe losing Carter is going to be a case of addition by subtraction. Look out for the Aggies come March, or whenever the tournament ends up being played this year.

Reaction Score
Really @bluedevil? UConn has been to 12 straight Final 4s(most likely 13 if last year was played) and you don't have them as a Final 4 team this year?

Reaction Score
I do disagree. Even IF Syracuse had enough athletes to get to top 5 (I don't believe they do) I don't think they have the coaching to get them there. But that's why they play the games, so let's see it.

BTW, interesting that the (admittedly questionable) swishappeal.com ACC projection in another thread has Syracuse at #8 - in the ACC.

This coach has gotten a team to the FF and this one has far more talent than that one. I literally am a season ticket holder and watch the games from the stands. But, ok.

Reaction Score
This coach has gotten a team to the FF and this one has far more talent than that one. I literally am a season ticket holder and watch the games from the stands. But, ok.

The issue with Syracuse is the system they run. They press the heck out of opponents and jack up any remotely open 3 point attempts. When they are able to create turnovers and knock in the long ball, they look really good. But when its not working, they lose games that they shouldn't be losing. I chalk up their FF run in 2016 more to a hot streak than good coaching.

Mangakahia, Lewis, & Engstler combined with two very good freshman and returning role players looks very good on paper. The talent is there to be a top 10 team, but I fear that their style of play will always make them an inconsistent team.

Reaction Score
The issue with Syracuse is the system they run. They press the heck out of opponents and jack up any remotely open 3 point attempts. When they are able to create turnovers and knock in the long ball, they look really good. But when its not working, they lose games that they shouldn't be losing. I chalk up their FF run in 2016 more to a hot streak than good coaching.

Mangakahia, Lewis, & Engstler combined with two very good freshman and returning role players looks very good on paper. The talent is there to be a top 10 team, but I fear that their style of play will always make them an inconsistent team.

I agree, 100%. I have several issues with Q's style of coaching, but I'm hoping he can adapt to the immense talent that he has on the roster. There are some really good players on this team and hopefully he can coach them to make the most successful.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
It's funny, that's EXACTLY the same way Bruno coaches at DePaul. Somehow he's a great coach and Q sucks, but they're the same.

Never made that parallel but you're spot on. Definitely remembering this the next time someone claims Doug Bruno is one of the best coaches in the country.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It's funny, that's EXACTLY the same way Bruno coaches at DePaul. Somehow he's a great coach and Q sucks, but they're the same.

EXACTLY how many posters have said this? We need to know! There shall be no hypocrisy on the Boneyard!!

Reaction Score
Just for clarification, do Bruno's teams really press? They do jack up 3's though.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
EXACTLY how many posters have said this? We need to know! There shall be no hypocrisy on the Boneyard!!

I don't have a running tally, but I know I've seen frequent complimentary posts about Bruno on the BY. I can understand posters liking him more than Q on a personal level.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Just for clarification, do Bruno's teams really press? They do jack up 3's though.

I could be wrong. Not necessarily full court press all the time, but I'm fairly sure they like to extend pressure and really make a point of trying to force turnovers.

Reaction Score

I’d be willing to bet Bruno wouldn’t have turned down a homecoming game for a player he recruited and lost to another team!

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I’d be willing to bet Bruno wouldn’t have turned down a homecoming game for a player he recruited and lost to another team!

I agree, but that's not really relevant IMO. Like I said, I understand why people like Bruno better. I merely pointed the style of ball their teams play is remarkably similar.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Duke's Tricia Liston (Chicago Suburbs) considered Depaul (according to Hoopsgurz), but when Duke tried to get her a homecoming game... the closest school that agreed was Marquette. I would think that Duke asked Bruno before they settled on Marquette.

Reaction Score
SC looks like the most obvious pick.

UCONN has a regional in Albany which always bodes well for them, although who knows if fans will be allowed. They have a really strong roster on paper. I think they're the next most likely.

I think Louisville has a great shot to make it this year too. Evans is one of the best players in the country, and I think Balogun/Dixon improve next year. Louisville has had F4 caliber teams the last 3 years so I think they'll be good again. ACC is also weak and their non-conf only has UCONN.

Stanford might be the deepest team in the country on paper but I'm not convinced they'll get back this year. I think a lot depends on if Haley Jones can be a star for Stanford this year or if it takes her another year or 2.

Baylor would be a likely pick based on their talent but Richards/Ursin being up in the air is a big question mark. The loss of Cox also can't be understated, and it sounds like they'll have a freshman PG. Knowing Baylor's history, this could spell another regionals exit like Mulkey struggled with from 2013-2018.

I would not be surprised to see a dark horse pick make the F4 this year, maybe the likes of Arizona, UCLA, Arkansas or NC State. All of those teams have a lot of experience back and solid coaching.

Kentucky also looks like a dark horse contender but I think they're more of a long shot too much. Mississippi State is going to be a heavier favorite preseason, but I think they'll ultimately finish in the 8-12 range again.

Oregon is probably the most intriguing team in the country this year since they have so many new and different faces and Graves is one of the best coaches.

Officially going with SC, UCONN, Louisville and Arizona to start the year.
Nice job on predicting Arizona making the final four!

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Color me suspicious. When did this poll close? I was able to make an entry just now. Why would 18 people pick Arizona for the final four? On what basis?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Amazingly I was 100% on my vote today!

Not a bad job for crowd source prediction - Oregon and MsSt got way too much love and no one saw TA&M or NC St's arrival in the mix of top seeded teams. And MD's rise was also not expected.

Reaction Score
I was really close. I predicted Stanford, South Carolina, UCONN, but I missed out on NC State
Well, you did hit the top 4 seeds and 3 out of 4 on the final 4. Alas, you failed in your avatar bet against my top 8 seeds.

nevertheless, you have done so well that I give you an early release on you L’il Dawn Avatar. Well done

Reaction Score
Wow, I was right on the money. Not sure what logic I used to come up with that but it hasn’t failed me yet:D
When I voted this morning there were only 18 others voting for Arizona, now there are 22. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom