Preseason All-American List | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Preseason All-American List

Reaction Score
I do remember. I didn't think much of the blue team at all. Later in his career his championship teams were with a shorter bench. He was more successful when he went away from it.

His first title beating GTOWN as an example. In 81-82; not one of the 3 bench players played more than 7 minutes in title game. And in 1992-1993 it was 8 players with players 6-8 getting between 11-18 minutes in title game.
Good job! Always appreciate your counter to this. Possible factor: college hoops had more competitive teams in his later years. He was more able to stockpile talent. Sound familiar? Geno could do it this year and the players and team would reap the benefits of it. And he can pick and choose when to do it. I remember on an odd occasion, the blue team actually picking up the lathargic first unit. That can happen too.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I don't know why people are this high on Haley Jones. She has a consistency problem and can disappear more than an All American should.
Funny, when it counted most, during the final four, she took over. I agree that she has a bad tendency of getting lazy and sloppy in some run of the mill games in a way that no all-star should. But when the chips were down, she threw down 24 points on 11-14 shooting and Boston could only cough up 11 on 5-14 shooting. Mad respect for Boston, but I wouldn't swap players in a heartbeat. And I'll take clutch team player (Jones) over me-first stat-sheet-stuffer (Howard) every day of the week.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I am not making a prediction, but I think that Christyn was (finally) playing at an All American level at the end of last season.
There were a couple of things that changed around midseason for Christyn that made a world of difference. First, Geno tasked her with the job of defending the opposing team’s top scoring guard, which she did exceptionally well. By focusing on defense it took the pressure off her on offense and, paradoxically, her offense improved.

The second change was simply learning how to play with Paige, Evina & Nika, 3 great passers who find the open player. Christyn got much better at moving without the ball to get open and her teammates found her again and again.

Reaction Score
There were a couple of things that changed around midseason for Christyn that made a world of difference. First, Geno tasked her with the job of defending the opposing team’s top scoring guard, which she did exceptionally well. By focusing on defense it took the pressure off her on offense and, paradoxically, her offense improved.

The second change was simply learning how to play with Paige, Evina & Nika, 3 great passers who find the open player. Christyn got much better at moving without the ball to get open and her teammates found her again and again.

Chirstyn had elbow surgery after the season ended. That must have played a part in her shooting woes.

Reaction Score
Funny, when it counted most, during the final four, she took over. I agree that she has a bad tendency of getting lazy and sloppy in some run of the mill games in a way that no all-star should. But when the chips were down, she threw down 24 points on 11-14 shooting and Boston could only cough up 11 on 5-14 shooting. Mad respect for Boston, but I wouldn't swap players in a heartbeat. And I'll take clutch team player (Jones) over me-first stat-sheet-stuffer (Howard) every day of the week.

You don’t have to tear another player down to build one up. Jones and Boston don’t even play the same position so the comparison is a bit of a stretch. I take nothing away from Haley she was a beast in the FF. Boston struggled with finishing a little last year, especially through contact.That won’t be a problem this year with her weight loss and training she’s done this year. I’m interested to see if Jones can replicate her FF performances this year. Specifically on December 21st against 18,000 screaming fans. That will be one to watch for sure.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
You don’t have to tear another player down to build one up. Jones and Boston don’t even play the same position so the comparison is a bit of a stretch. I take nothing away from Haley she was a beast in the FF. Boston struggled with finishing a little last year, especially through contact.That won’t be a problem this year with her weight loss and training she’s done this year. I’m interested to see if Jones can replicate her FF performances this year. Specifically on December 21st against 18,000 screaming fans. That will be one to watch for sure.
Ordinarily, I'd agree with you 100%. But only five players can get first team All-American, and presumably many voters voted for Boston and not Jones. Yet when they faced off for all the marbles, I think Jones came out worthier of that vote, so the case I'm making is simply that I'd take Jones over Boston if forced to choose. The same is true for Howard. As I said in my prior post, mad respect to Boston - she's terrific too.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
HaJo did have a bit of an up-and-down season, but people best remember what they last saw, and she was by far the best scoring option in the NC game and scored the winning bucket, as I recall.
Milford's comment has reminded me I need to re-up my SLING Orange package to get the PAC-12, SEC and ACC starting in November. I watched as many of the PAC games on their network as possible last year and am duly impressed with Ms. Jones and how Tara handled 10 player rotations-something I hope Geno can emulate. I think this year without Kiana, Haley will evolve even more as a "point-wing" for that team. She does a little of everything, and all of it well. Add in Cameron Brink with one year of experience and that team has 2 major stars and the talented ensemble cast of Hull twins, Prechtal, Belibi, Wilson, Jump and others. Can Jana Van Gytenbeek step up as a sophomore point guard and support this team?

Reaction Score

Great points about Christyn last year. My fear this year (knock on wood, cross my fingers) is that UConn is going to be so good offensively that no one (coaches, us) is going to tolerate missing wide-open looks. I picture Paige and Azzi by themselves going 10-15 just from 3. Christyn will be less of a concern for defenses. She could average a hundred if she hits her shots.

Reaction Score
Ordinarily, I'd agree with you 100%. But only five players can get first team All-American, and presumably many voters voted for Boston and not Jones. Yet when they faced off for all the marbles, I think Jones came out worthier of that vote, so the case I'm making is simply that I'd take Jones over Boston if forced to choose. The same is true for Howard. As I said in my prior post, mad respect to Boston - she's terrific too.
A. BostonF325-141-30-079161141411
V. SaxtonF300-10-00-0011110000
B. BealG402-90-11-2617130025
Z. CookeG3910-235-80-00001003225
D. HendersonG395-123-75-51453005418
BenchMINFG3PTFTOREBDREBREBASTSTLBLKTOPFPTS
L. AmihereF182-80-12-5426211236
D. LittletonG20-00-00-0000000000
TEAM24-679-208-12221840965111565
35.8%45.0%66.7%
i
Stanford
StartersMINFG3PTFTOREBDREBREBASTSTLBLKTOPFPTS
C. BrinkF223-40-00-0134006346
H. JonesG2911-142-20-02242113224
L. HullG394-172-28-867134213218
K. WilliamsG404-140-10-0000310028
A. WilsonG210-10-00-0202000200
BenchMINFG3PTFTOREBDREBREBASTSTLBLKTOPFPTS
A. PrechtelF243-51-32-2358112119
F. BelibiF110-30-00-0123011010
A. JeromeF20-00-00-0000001000
H. JumpG20-00-00-0000000000
L. HullG100-20-01-2000110031
TEAM25-605-811-1217193611712121566
41.7%62.5%91.7%

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
- NaLyssa Smith, in my green mind, is one of the reasons Baylor took ND in the national championship game. She came off the bench and in 17 minutes collected 6 rebounds and scored 14 critical points on 7 of 9 shooting. ND could've made runs when she was in there, but she got on a hot streak.

It will be interesting to see how she does without Coach Mulkey. Ditto for for Queen Egbo.

- Like many posters, I believe Paige B., Caitlyn Clark and Aliyah Boston are pretty much no-brainers, but many others could be considered to fill out the next two spots, as well as a second team and honorable mentions.

In addition to those mentioned, I think Diamond Miller could have a very strong year. And for the team in green, blue and gold, Maddy Westbeld should continue to make solid strides to her all-round game.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
But isn't AA distinction an individual award? Do you really believe that Howard could not do as much for Stanford or Michigan as what Hillmon and Jones are doing?

These are two really interesting questions.
- If AA distinction is an individual award, it is still based on performances done within a team interplay. So, how a player performs with/for a team becomes part of the equation (i.e., a good passing player can only get so many assists if players don't cut correctly).

- Therefore, would Howard do as well in a Stanford system to garner notice for her individual play as many contend Jones is doing? Jones appears to be a multi-faceted performer who can adjust her game to her teammates and/or game situation. If she went to Kentucky, I have no doubt she'd take what necessary adjustments were needed for her and her team to succeed. Howard to Stanford? Hmmm.

I'm not making the same comparison with Hillmon because she's a totally different player (forward).

- I've always had a belief that the "I - We" interplay is critical to overall first-person success. Interestingly, it's a he or she (as in the coach) that helps with that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom