Preseason All-American List | The Boneyard

Preseason All-American List

Reaction Score
No arguments here, although I wouldn’t be surprised to see one or two removed from this list by the end of the season.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Of course this is only preseason, but the one player who I might question is Howard, who is a great talent, but not necessarily a great team player. IMO Haley Jones belongs on the AA team, or even Naz Hilman ahead of Howard.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Is there a link to the voting results?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
No arguments here, although I wouldn’t be surprised to see one or two removed from this list by the end of the season.
Really, like who? I can see Naz Hillman earning her way on and nudging Ny Smith off. I think many will be surprise by how underperforming Baylor will be without Kim around.

Reaction Score
Really, like who? I can see Naz Hillman earning her way on and nudging Ny Smith off. I think many will be surprise by how underperforming Baylor will be without Kim around.
Really don’t break my heart:D

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Of course this is only preseason, but the one player who I might question is Howard, who is a great talent, but not necessarily a great team player. IMO Haley Jones belongs on the AA team, or even Naz Hilman ahead of Howard.
Agreed. Howard is a great individual player (on offense at least), extremely versatile and skilled, can score in all kinds of ways ... but in the context of a team sport she's more buzz than bite. Jones and Hillmon would both be more deserving selections. Both were absolutely stellar last year.

Reaction Score
Howard and Smith are the most vulnerable, imo of course. I could see Hillman, Owusu, Haley Jones displacing them. I also expect Christyn Williams to have a huge year, she was playing great towards the end of last year. I think that upward trajectory combined with a good case of senioritis will result in her and Paige leading the Huskies this year.

Reaction Score
When you throw players like Jones and Hilman, and I might add Brink and others in the next tier of the players that did not make first team, it does not look good IMO for our seniors making even a 10 player All American team. Their odds of leaving school with a championship are much higher, but all of them would need to bump their game quite a bit to wind up on the wall as Huskies of Honor.

All are very good players, but none of them thus far have quite lived up to their class rankings. Part of that is Megan's and Christyn's classes were relatively weak at the top, lacking anyone who clearly separated themselves from the next tier, or is referred to as a generational talent like Paige or Azzi. Hope they prove me wrong.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
When you throw players like Jones and Hilman, and I might add Brink and others in the next tier of the players that did not make first team, it does not look good IMO for our seniors making even a 10 player All American team. Their odds of leaving school with a championship are much higher, but all of them would need to bump their game quite a bit to wind up on the wall as Huskies of Honor.

All are very good players, but none of them thus far have quite lived up to their class rankings. Part of that is Megan's and Christyn's classes were relatively weak at the top, lacking anyone who clearly separated themselves from the next tier, or is referred to as a generational talent like Paige or Azzi. Hope they prove me wrong.
One factor that obviously impacts AA selection is how the team does. If UConn runs the gauntlet with an undefeated team heading into the Big Dance, there is ample precedent for up to 3 first team AA’s on 10 member teams Like the WCBA. The last time that happened was in 2016 with Pheesa, Lou & Gabby.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Agreed. Howard is a great individual player (on offense at least), extremely versatile and skilled, can score in all kinds of ways ... but in the context of a team sport she's more buzz than bite. Jones and Hillmon would both be more deserving selections. Both were absolutely stellar last year.
Having watched Iowa bounce KY out of the Big Dance last season, it’s hard to conceive of a player like Howard being less effective while putting up 28 pts, most of which came once the game was out of reach. At that point Howard was basically “getting hers” after Iowa had already slammed the door shut on KY.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Hayley Jones had a great Final 4 and has the talent to be an All American, but she's yet to show the consistency that's needed. NaLyssa Smith is outstanding on both ends of the floor. Looking to see if Boston takes over games more this year on the offensive end.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Unanimous!!! Obviously rigged!!!! :eek: No, of course no. Just further affirmation of what a stunning, unprecedented freshman year Paige put together. I still feel like it's Christmas whenever I think of Paige a Husky.

Reaction Score
I agree! Haley Jones is a serious basketball player and deserved to be on that team! If we could have one player from the rest of women’s bball (college) I might choose her!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Here’s my way out on the limb proposal. UConn will have 2 players on the season-ending AP AA 1st team…. :)
I'm not sure about the 5-player AA team, but that would be great. I could see 2 or maybe 3 players on the 10-player WBCA team. I think CW is a distinct possibility. Other possibles include Liv, Liya, Evina, and Azzi. Factors that will help any player's candidacy include team results (running the table instead of 2-3 losses) and consistency, especially against the better teams.

Reaction Score
The 5 first team, where are the second team?

Paige Bueckers of UConn, 29/29
Caitlin Clark of Iowa, 22/29
Aliyah Boston of South Carolina, 26/29
NaLyssa Smith of Baylor,, 24/29
Rhyne Howard of Kentucky, 18/29

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
One factor that obviously impacts AA selection is how the team does. If UConn runs the gauntlet with an undefeated team heading into the Big Dance, there is ample precedent for up to 3 first team AA’s on 10 member teams Like the WCBA. The last time that happened was in 2016 with Pheesa, Lou & Gabby.
Incorrect year, my friend. ;)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The 5 first team, where are the second team?

Paige Bueckers of UConn, 29/29
Caitlin Clark of Iowa, 22/29
Aliyah Boston of South Carolina, 26/29
NaLyssa Smith of Baylor,, 24/29
Rhyne Howard of Kentucky, 18/29
No second team per se. Just a list of others receiving votes as follows: Cunane-NC St, Jones-Stanford, Hilman-MI, Owusu-MD, Joens-IO St, Bell-FLGC, Thomas-AZ.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Here’s my way out on the limb proposal. UConn will have 2 players on the season-ending AP AA 1st team…. :)
OD, that’s one of the safest predictions you’ll make all season. Paige is pretty much a lock. I think there are at least 2 more UConn players that can earn an AA nod on the ten player team.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
But isn't AA distinction an individual award? Do you really believe that Howard could not do as much for Stanford or Michigan as what Hillmon and Jones are doing?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom