Preliminary Gold Cup Roster | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Preliminary Gold Cup Roster

Reaction Score
Heading itself isn't really that big of a problem for concussions. Not sure about repetitive heading and what that effect is. But just for straight getting a concussion, almost all I've ever seen comes from head to head contact, head to ground contact, or getting struck by the ball in the head.

In the past 15 or so years of coaching and reffing soccer, I think I've seen 1 girl (probably U13??) have a problem after heading the ball. Long punt she headed and kind of held her head after. Don't know if she ended up having a concussion or not but I stopped the game and had her go off, she didn't come back into the game.

Agreed, a header done the right way should not hurt anyone. The issue, especially in Rec, is if a coach know how to train kids the right way. Many do not and freak out (and parents more so) the first time training for headers as soon as the inevitable bloody nose happens because a 9U wasn't paying attention.

I've had roughly 5 concussions from paying soccer that I can count (4 from playing keeper) and only 1 was from direct ball to head contact. Was playing Keeper (of course) in an indoor soccer match and had a 1 v1 against me. I was in a good position to block and head shots; but, I forgot that we were using a hockey court. The shot missed me to the right, rebounded off the hockey board just a few feet behind me and the rebound got me square in the temple. Haven't played keeper since (wife's orders).

Reaction Score
The buildout line works best when they allow the defense to cross the line when the ball leaves the 18.

The challenge I have seen in built-outs at the U11 and higher rec games is that each team inevitably has a high level club player on the team because he (she) wants to play soccer with their friends from home (can't blame them) and is playing center midfield (#10 usually) running end to end and can immediately blow-up any build-up attempt. The joys or Rec soccer.

Reaction Score
Did anyone ever figure out why Greggg didn’t play Boyd in the final?

Reaction Score
Did anyone ever figure out why Greggg didn’t play Boyd in the final?

A) USSF told him Boyd could not start in such a high profile game on TV because he doesn't play for a MLS team plus 2) putting him in a sub would require an in-game tactical change, which is a concept that Berhalter cannot comprehend.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Looks like CONCACAF is adjusting the 2022 Qualifying process making it 'easier' for the 'stronger' teams to advance straight to the Hex.

They usually do anyway. But once there, their chances are actually reduced a bit to get to the WC. (just slightly) The 4th place team would now have to win 2 playoffs before getting to the WC.

This also gives the minnows of CONCACAF a slighter better chance of a shot at the WC.

For the 5,6,7,8th ranked teams it will definitely make all their games (including friendlies) mean a lot more.

Reaction Score
Jamaica is currently 4th, then Honduras and El Salvidor are behind them. Those are 3 not very good teams and whoever makes it through to the playoff has to like their chances of getting to the next playoff.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Looks like CONCACAF is adjusting the 2022 Qualifying process making it 'easier' for the 'stronger' teams to advance straight to the Hex.

I heard some people talking about this on the radio yesterday. They said one thing might happen with this set-up, with a shot (however small) at getting to the WC, some of the minnows of CONCACAF might be more attractive to the dual nationals. Which would improve some of the teams (minnows) in CONCACAF. Kind of like Caracao using the Dutch players.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Current FIFA rankings of CONCACAF teams:

18. Mexico
30. USA
39. Costa Rica
54. Jamaica
61. Honduras
69. El Salvador
== == == ==
75. Panama
78. Canada
79. Curacao
92. Trinidad and Tobago
101. Haiti

I'm wondering about Haiti, who in the Gold Cup looked much better than their ranking.

Reaction Score
I don’t like it. Stick to the format, for 2022. Then change it when the # CONCACAF teams qualifying increases for 2026. Get rid of the pre Hex round and sort something out where where the 6 team final is a 10 team final round robin (similar to CONMEBOL), or there are 4 groups of 5 teams in the final round, with first place getting a WC bid, and the 4 second place teams draw against one other for a play-in for the tpfinal 2 spots (similar to UEFA). .the top 5 ranked teams are automatically in the final round, and the balance qualify thru a preliminary tournament, or use the Nations League for seedlings.

Reaction Score
While its always good to see the US and Mexico mix it up, this is likely a move to generate some more dinero for USSF and allow Berhalter the opportunity to say "see, I am improving with a friendly win.

If life allows, I will try and get tickets for this. I caught the USA v. Brazil friend last year. If I see Morris and Zardes in a USMNT uniform and Adams used in a convoluted LB/CDM role, I am going to sign Berhalter up to be a fill-in for the The Sopranos's prequel movie, The Many Saints of Newark. I'm sure there are isolated spots in the Meadowlands that need to be filled :mad:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
While its always good to see the US and Mexico mix it up, this is likely a move to generate some more dinero for USSF and allow Berhalter the opportunity to say "see, I am improving with a friendly win.

If life allows, I will try and get tickets for this. I caught the USA v. Brazil friend last year. If I see Morris and Zardes in a USMNT uniform and Adams used in a convoluted LB/CDM role, I am going to sign Berhalter up to be a fill-in for the The Sopranos's prequel movie, The Many Saints of Newark. I'm sure there are isolated spots in the Meadowlands that need to be filled :mad:
Please lord tell me that Michael Bradley won't be on the field for this game. For the love of god, put Adams in his natural position in CDM and park that parking cone on the bench where he belongs.

Reaction Score
Please lord tell me that Michael Bradley won't be on the field for this game. For the love of god, put Adams in his natural position in CDM and park that parking cone on the bench where he belongs.

For better or worse, Bradely still has the best long-service on the current USMNT roster. That said, he is now a defensive liability and is too conservative in many instances, espeically in the short-range game. Thus, espeically for a friendly, its time to look forward to 2022 and figure out 1) who can repalce him and 2) what formation works for the players we have. Nothing like a 'friendly' with Mexico to see who has the stones and who does not. Like many, I see the 'core' midfield for 2020 to be Pulisic, Adams and McKennie and build from there. Of course, neither of those three will help sell MLS tickets and jerseys, so who knows...

Reaction Score
If there are any 28+ year olds wearing a US jersey at this game, they better be in the stands. Only guys who will be true contributions for 2022 need apply. They already missed an opportunity to start the development and cohesion for the next WCQ cycle during Gold Cup. You already know what you’re getting with Bradley, Zardes, Trapp, and crew. No need to call them in this round.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I believe this is in the FIFA window so all teams should release their players. Unless there are injuries, GB should be able to call in anyone he wants. I guess we'll see who he wants.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom