Preliminary Gold Cup Roster | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Preliminary Gold Cup Roster

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Cannon was able to use his speed to blast past defenders in the first-half on long switches, which also happens to be one area that Bradley is still good at. But, in the second half, Mexico went with a high-press on the USMNT DB's and I think switched who was marking Cannon. He is not gifted enough to be able to dribble past a defender or two in the defensive half. Pulisic, who has both the speed and technical ability to get by defenders, had to go deep in the second half due to the press to get the ball. Mexico (and Berhalter) pinched him towards the middle of the field and he was simply overwhelmed. Pulisic needs to be on the outside where has the space to roam to create. Berhalter had no answers for this ad

While Bradley is still serviceable from a long-range distribution standpoint, he is slow, worrisome on defense and does not handle the short-passing game well, which is what is needed to break a high pass. Unfortunately, the Gold Cup roster did not really have a viable replacement for him, which is also on Berhalter.

With respect to Altidore, he is good as a holding striker where he can use his strength to create space and win balls and his above average passing to get the ball to the guy with the best shot. You are correct in that he is not a clinical finisher. I would have liked to see him paired with a guy like Bobby Wood or, better yet, Josh Sargent as both of hem can finish. I have no idea outside of foolish club and MLS loyalty while Zardes was even on the team and the same for Morris. I would have replaced them with Sargent and Wood respectively

Taking the current (poorly selected) roster with the two changes noted above (would have loved to have Adams available), I would have gone with a more centrally compact 2-4 (diamond)-4 with Pulisic and Boyd out wide to run and create with Sarget (finish), Altidore (possesion), and Mckennie (creativity & his ability to link with Pulisic) in the middle. I could not do much with the back-line, which actually played better than expcted against Mexico. Bradley is in as the best available long-range distributor on this roster; but, get replaced should a team go to a high-press. That is called an adjustment, Mr. Berhalter.

1) Stiker: Sargent (sub would be Bobby Wood as needed)
2) CF: Altidore (to be replaced an additional defensive midfielder or an additional striker at 75' depending on the score)
3) CAM: McKennie
4) LW: Pulisic
5) RW: Boyd
6) CDM: Bradley (should a team go into a high-press, he would be replaced by Arriola/Roldan/Mihailović ) for better defensive coverage and short-range play)
7) LB: Ream
8) LCB: Long
9) RCB: Miazga
10) RB: Cannon
11) Keeper: Steffen

Nice summary and update. I missed the game (Rolling Stones concert), and don't know enough about the young guys out there. I agree with your assessment of Altidore. He's not useless or a negative, just not a great finisher. I prefer Woods. Have not seen enough of Sargent.

As for Bradley, he's a negative in most situations and I think teams know they can press us when he's in and he won't hurt them. When he's playing, somebody younger is missing out on international experience. I'd prefer he has played his last match.

That said, we've never been very good at the precision short passing game that I can recall. We lose too much possession in the midifeld and I'm not sure how to solve that unless we bring in players who are skilled in that style of play. Do we even have any?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
No, he's honestly too good for the O-40 team, primairly because we're all slow and few few of us are in shape. He would be fine on the O-30 team, LOL. Plus, he would likley try and take my CDM role on the team. On defense, my job is to clog the middle and, if I agoing to be beat, make sure it is to the outside and not the middle. With the ball, I have a serviceable long-range pass (I take the team's corners) while I am more like a snowplow when I have the ball versus a ballet dancer.
O-30 it is then! Please make this happen asap.

Reaction Score
With the ball, I have a serviceable long-range pass (I take the team's corners) while I am more like a snowplow when I have the ball versus a ballet dancer.
... not that there's anything wrong with prancing around in a tutu, but blasting around like an 0-40 snowplow sure beats the O-50 know better than to even get out there standing around like a Greek column. Enjoy it while you, knees, hips, etc can ...

Reaction Score
btw, did anyone catch the ref picking up the ball after it hit him? Not supposed to pick it up in that situation, usa should have been more livid. I believe it was in the second half, usa was in the middle 1/3rd, pushing forward when this occurred. No one really seemed to catch it. Missed hand ball on Mexico too, usa was livid in the case. I wasn't all that impressed with the ref tbh.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
btw, did anyone catch the ref picking up the ball after it hit him? Not supposed to pick it up in that situation, usa should have been more livid. I believe it was in the second half, usa was in the middle 1/3rd, pushing forward when this occurred. No one really seemed to catch it. Missed hand ball on Mexico too, usa was livid in the case. I wasn't all that impressed with the ref tbh.
Ummm, new rule change this year. If the ball changes possession after hitting ref (it did, the USA got it from Mexico), it's now a drop ball back to the team who had possession. So he was correct.

Reaction Score
Ummm, new rule change this year. If the ball changes possession after hitting ref (it did, the USA got it from Mexico), it's now a drop ball back to the team who had possession. So he was correct.
Speaking of rule changes, I love the new one re goal kicks. I've never understood why the team getting the goal kick is limited in where they can touch the ball. This is certainly great (in my opinion) for youth soccer, but it also makes sense to me at higher levels. Corner kicks aren't limited from a short touch, why were goal kicks (I'm sure there was a reason)?

One thing I can see, however, is that some youth teams won't be ready for the change and will still look to play the ball outside the penalty box. From what I can see, the ball is now live upon the goalie kicking it so the offense can jump on the kick. Better train the kids!

The changes to the wall on free kicks is interesting. It will definitely speed up the professional game, but it does take away some creativity on set pieces.

Reaction Score
Speaking of rule changes, I love the new one re goal kicks. I've never understood why the team getting the goal kick is limited in where they can touch the ball. This is certainly great (in my opinion) for youth soccer, but it also makes sense to me at higher levels. Corner kicks aren't limited from a short touch, why were goal kicks (I'm sure there was a reason)?

For the younger kids, say below 10, Goal Kicks can be a pain. It basically turns into a scrum at the 18 yard because the kid taking the kick has problems clearing the box so that the opposing team stacks the line nearest to the spot to try and pick-off the kick for an immediate scoring opportunity. Thus, the team in possession has to join them on the line to prevent such. For Rec in my town, we barred the defensive team from stacking the line. Could not do anything about travel and club; but those team usually have a least one player who can either clear the 18 yard box or causing the opposing players to consider their own safety standing there.

I remember playing keeper on a 12U (I think) travel team (this was before everyone else grew a foot and I did not, thus my shift to midfield) and a kids on the opposing team would stay parallel to me and then right when I was punting it, would across me trying to block the kick. I held back a few times and asked the ref to call something (while my coach was screaming) and he just singled to play-on. So, the next time that kid made his run, I punted it - right into his stomach. Knocked the kid onto his arse and he just laid on the grass in a fetal postion trying not to puke. I caught the rebound, and sent it down the field. The ref did nothing. The opposing coach was screaming that I illegally touched the ball, which I didn't as my initial punt deflected off of an opposing player before I touched it again. Nevertheless, no one from that team tried that stunt again.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A bit over the top, especially as Adams was unavailable due to injury (if he was available, he would have likely played out-of-position anyway); but, I agree with most fo the key points.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
For the younger kids, say below 10, Goal Kicks can be a pain. It basically becomes a scrum at the 18 yard because the kid taking the kick has problems clearing the box so that the opposing team stacks the line nearest to the spot to try and pick-off the kick for an immediate scoring opportunity. Thus, the team in possession has to join them on the line to prevent such. For Rec in my town, we barred the defensive team from stacking the line. Could not do anything about travel and club; but those team usually have a least one player who can either clear the 18 yard box or causing the opposing players to consider their own safety standing there.
Yea for older kids/adults it's a nice addition, however, it's gonna be horrible for young teams unless they have "build out lines", which most are going to nowadays. As Cone indicated, now instead of waiting for the ball to clear the 18 as before, as soon as the GK kicks the ball, it will be a mad dash into the box, leaving the offense little time/room/ability to play out of the back.

With the build out lines though, it will probably make it easier to build out of the back with the new rule.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
A bit over the top, especially as Adams was unavailable due to injury (if he was available, he would have likely played out-of-position anyway); but, I agree with most fo the key points.

It doesn't help when the writer just states stuff that is blatantly wrong. Even though as you say, I agree with him that GB probably needs to move on, but won't.

And of course he brought his boy Gyasi Zardes who might be able to score with his face but can’t hit the back of the net from inside the six yard box if his life depended on it.

Zardes did have a tap in, inside the 6, and had a nice curling shot from the 18. Not sure if his life depended on it, but he did actually do it. (Not that I want him on the team.)

(thanks to Jozy Altidore finally scoring a goal that mattered).

I've seen people say this or stuff like this for quite awhile. I know we want someone better, and maybe Sargent will be, but Altidore has scored 19 goals in WCQ matches (those matter), 5 goals in Gold Cup matches (sorta matter) and has scored against some decent competition (though yea, some were friendlies) - Mexico, Spain, Turkey, Poland, Germany, Colombia, Peru, Chile.

Prior to taking the US job, Berhalter had proven himself a loser at two different clubs. In the Swedish second division with Hammarby, he posted a record of 18-11-17 (W-L-D) for a 57% win percentage and won zero trophies. Once he came to MLS, it got worse. In five seasons with the Columbus Crew his record was 75-71-47 for a win percentage of just 51%.

Not really a loser if he had a winning record. Now that doesn't qualify him for the USMNT job. As a NT manager, one should have won some trophies along the way before getting a shot at the NT. I think we could have done much better. And to wait a whole year just to come up with GB??? Ridiculous.

Reaction Score
For the younger kids, say below 10, Goal Kicks can be a pain. It basically becomes a scrum at the 18 yard because the kid taking the kick has problems clearing the box so that the opposing team stacks the line nearest to the spot to try and pick-off the kick for an immediate scoring opportunity. Thus, the team in possession has to join them on the line to prevent such. For Rec in my town, we barred the defensive team from stacking the line. Could not do anything about travel and club; but those team usually have a least one player who can either clear the 18 yard box or causing the opposing players to consider their own safety standing there.

I remember playing keeper on a 12U (I think) travel team (this was before everyone else grew a foot and I did not, thus my shift to midfield) and a kids on the opposing team would stay parallel to me and then right when I was punting it, would across me trying to block the kick. I held back a few times and asked the ref to call something (while my coach was screaming) and he just singled to play-on. So, the next time that kid made his run, I punted it - right into his stomach. Knocked the kid onto his arse and he just laid on the grass in a fetal postion trying not to puke. I caught the rebound, and sent it down the field. The ref did nothing. The opposing coach was screaming that I illegally touched the ball, which I didn't as my initial punt deflected off of an opposing player before I touched it again. Nevertheless, no one from that team tried that stunt again.

My worst experience as a coach was my first game. U9 girls B team that had just been put together. I volunteered as an assistant and they guilted me into head coach. The team had 2 practices with a trainer before our first game. We're down 5-1 10 minutes into the game. We're clearly overmatched and it was a jerk move for the opponent to put themselves in a D flight. The other coach then moved every player on his team but the goalie and one defender to the penalty box on our goal kicks. It felt great to tie that team two months later, and beat the snot out of them when my daughter moved to the A team and that team was moved up.

Yea for older kids/adults it's a nice addition, however, it's gonna be horrible for young teams unless they have "build out lines", which most are going to nowadays. As Cone indicated, now instead of waiting for the ball to clear the 18 as before, as soon as the GK kicks the ball, it will be a mad dash into the box, leaving the offense little time/room/ability to play out of the back.

With the build out lines though, it will probably make it easier to build out of the back with the new rule.

I agree it's still not ideal without a build-out line. The build-out line came after my time at that age group, but it seems to be pretty universal now. It seems like a great rule. It took our teams a few years of pain to really be able to build out of the back but it was great to see them do it well at U13.

Reaction Score
My worst experience as a coach was my first game. U9 girls B team that had just been put together. I volunteered as an assistant and they guilted me into head coach. The team had 2 practices with a trainer before our first game. We're down 5-1 10 minutes into the game. We're clearly overmatched and it was a jerk move for the opponent to put themselves in a D flight. The other coach then moved every player on his team but the goalie and one defender to the penalty box on our goal kicks. It felt great to tie that team two months later, and beat the snot out of them when my daughter moved to the A team and that team was moved up.

I agree it's still not ideal without a build-out line. The build-out line came after my time at that age group, but it seems to be pretty universal now. It seems like a great rule. It took our teams a few years of pain to really be able to build out of the back but it was great to see them do it well at U13.

Build out lines are almost universal through U-10 now, but the rule has lots of variations. Some allow players to cross as soon as the ball is kicked or released. Others allow it when the ball exits the box. Some prohibit the keeper from punting the ball. The rule in CT, which I like, is that the opposing team cannot cross the build-out line until someone other than the keeper has an opportunity to play the ball. Of course, most youth officials, even in competitive leagues, don't know what that means.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Build out lines are almost universal through U-10 now, but the rule has lots of variations. Some allow players to cross as soon as the ball is kicked or released. Others allow it when the ball exits the box. Some prohibit the keeper from punting the ball. The rule in CT, which I like, is that the opposing team cannot cross the build-out line until someone other than the keeper has an opportunity to play the ball. Of course, most youth officials, even in competitive leagues, don't know what that means.

I coach U10 girls. literally wasn’t called twice the same way all season.

Reaction Score

Interfering with a punting keeper is an infringement (indirect free kick). If you contact the keeper, it is a foul and almost always a yellow card.

Reaction Score
Altidore is always 5 minutes from his next hamstring injury, can't count on him to be around
Shockingly, not being a world class athlete, trainer, doctor, PTist, etc, I’ve oft wondered about the causes of Altidore’s seemingly greater than average hamstring injuries. Genetics, inadequate conditioning, stretching, hydration, other factors?

Reaction Score
Altidore has tried it all. Dropped weight and went with a yoga-inspired regimen prior to 2014 WC and the hammy popped in 5 minutes. Feel bad for him on that front and that he couldn't get that shot on frame Sunday - and I think he still has a place on the team as long as we have a striker/wings who can run off of him.

And for real, know the bench was thin at attacking positions (that's another story), but why bring in a LB with 10 mins left in the game again????

Reaction Score
Altidore has tried it all. Dropped weight and went with a yoga-inspired regimen prior to 2014 WC and the hammy popped in 5 minutes. Feel bad for him on that front and that he couldn't get that shot on frame Sunday - and I think he still has a place on the team as long as we have a striker/wings who can run off of him.

And for real, know the bench was thin at attacking positions (that's another story), but why bring in a LB with 10 mins left in the game again????

Agree on Altidore.

As for Lovitz, its a reflection of Berhalter's deep understanding of making key strategic adjustments during a match and creativty (LOL) combined with his very clear knowledge that USSF signs his paycheck and their focus on generating revenue for MLS versus creating a bottom-to-top program that is designed to win major hardware for US men's national teams (U-17, U-20, Gold Cup, World Cup, etc.).

Reaction Score

Coaches who purposely plug their team into a lower division for the sole purpose of improving their win/loss record is a plague in all youth sports. It's all about their ego (and parents' egos) as it does nothing to help develop their players, who often get a rude awakening individually and/or as a group when they move to a different team or are finally forced to move up. There was a team in my travel spring baseball B-level league (12U) that has a reputation for doing so. They went 10-0 during the season with a run differential of +90 (they were wining by 9 to 10 runs a game). After the spring, 2 teams voluntarily asked to be moved-up for the summer while the other 7 coaches demanded that this team also be moved-up. The league finally gave in force them into the A Tier II level. The team is 5-5 this summer (4 games left) with a run differential of +6. They are still doing well, just not perfect, and I have heard that the coach and his parents are furious.

Reaction Score

Has not hit Jersey yet, bummer.

Then again, the old guard in Jersey are still fighting the U12 and below ban on heading for most town teams. I am not a fan out it either; but, I get it as I have seen volunteer coaches who have no idea how to head a ball themselves teach their kids how to head a ball. Nosebleeds were very popular.

Reaction Score
Has not hit Jersey yet, bummer.

Then again, the old guard in Jersey are still fighting the U12 and below ban on heading for most town teams. I am not a fan out it either; but, I get it as I have seen volunteer coaches who have no idea how to head a ball themselves teach their kids how to head a ball. Nosebleeds were very popular.
Northern Counties in your backyard adopted the build out line a couple years ago for U10 and under. My kids had just started U11. Our version on goal kicks is that the opposing team has to wait until the ball is out of the penalty area to cross the build out line.

The league also went 4v4 for U8, 7v7 for U9/U10 and 9v9 for U11/U12. Heading is allowed at U12 and above. I'm fine with that and have a bunch of reasons why I don't think it's bad for the game. I don't know if our town(s) rec program followed suit.

Reaction Score
Altidore has tried it all. Dropped weight and went with a yoga-inspired regimen prior to 2014 WC and the hammy popped in 5 minutes. Feel bad for him on that front
thanks for comment

Reaction Score
Northern Counties in your backyard adopted the build out line a couple years ago for U10 and under. My kids had just started U11. Our version on goal kicks is that the opposing team has to wait until the ball is out of the penalty area to cross the build out line.

The league also went 4v4 for U8, 7v7 for U9/U10 and 9v9 for U11/U12. Heading is allowed at U12 and above. I'm fine with that and have a bunch of reasons why I don't think it's bad for the game. I don't know if our town(s) rec program followed suit.

I'm in Bergen County and our town's Rec definitely did not adopted the build-out rule last year for the 8U team I worked in. I'll bring it up this fall for 9U. Thanks. It was not an issue for my 11U teams (Travel and Rec) last year; but, I had several kids who can free kick well clear of the 18'.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm in Bergen County and our town's Rec definitely did not adopted the build-out rule last year for the 8U team I worked in. I'll bring it up this fall for 9U. Thanks. It was not an issue for my 11U teams (Travel and Rec) last year; but, I had several kids who can free kick well clear of the 18'.

The buildout line works best when they allow the defense to cross the line when the ball leaves the 18.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Heading itself isn't really that big of a problem for concussions. Not sure about repetitive heading and what that effect is. But just for straight getting a concussion, almost all I've ever seen comes from head to head contact, head to ground contact, or getting struck by the ball in the head.

In the past 15 or so years of coaching and reffing soccer, I think I've seen 1 girl (probably U13??) have a problem after heading the ball. Long punt she headed and kind of held her head after. Don't know if she ended up having a concussion or not but I stopped the game and had her go off, she didn't come back into the game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom