Preliminary Gold Cup Roster | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Preliminary Gold Cup Roster

Reaction Score
Yeah he said they weren't focused because of the upcoming roster selections. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Yeah he said they weren't focused because of the upcoming roster selections. :rolleyes:

It would have been better to just say "I put a roster together for this game and they predictably played like . . ."

Reaction Score
It's out...

• GOALKEEPERS (3): 1) Sean Johnson (MLS: NYCFC), 2) Tyler Miller (MLS: LAFC), 3) Zack Steffen (Bundesliga: Fortuna Dusseldorf [via loan from EPL Man City])
  • DEFENDERS (8): 1) Tyler Adams (Bundesliga: RB Leipzig), 2) Omar Gonzalez (MLS: Toronto), 3) Nick Lima (MLS: San Jose), 4) Aaron Long (MLS: NY Red Bulls), 5) Daniel Lovitz (MLS: Montreal), 6) Matt Miazga (TBD [via pending loan EPL Chelsea]), 7) Tim Ream (ECL: Reading), 8) Walker Zimmerman (MLS: LAFC)
  • MIDFIELDERS (6): 1) Micheal Bradley (MLS: Toronto), 2) Duane Homes (ECL: Derby), 3) Weston McKennie (Bundesliga: Schalke), 4) Christian Pulisic (EPL: Chelsea), 5) Cristian Roldan (MLS: Seattle), 6) Will Trap (MLS: Columbus)
  • FORWARDS (6): 1) Jozy Altidore (MLS: Toronto), 2) Paul Arriola (MLS: DC United), 3) Tyler Boyd (PPL: Vitoria Guimaraes), 4) Jonathan Lewis (MLS: Colorado), 5) Jordan Morris (MLS: Seattle), 6) Gyasi Zardes (MLS: Columbus)
That's 15 of 23 players from MLS - 65%. Is US soccer leadership trying to win the Gold Cup or market MLS?

I can see having Boyd on the team to Cap him; but, why have Altidore AND Gyasi on the team as they basically are the same type of player? Morris has not had a good USMNT showing in a while. Maybe he's the 'new' Wondo? Unless Sargent is injured, why invite him to the senior camp only not to utilize him in the Gold Cup as he has shown good link-up play with Pulisic? He would have gotten more playing time on the U20 World Cup team instead. Speaking of Pulisic, outside of Adams, looks like the USMNT expects him to carry the team yet again with limited support and he has to be gassed after a long Bundesliga and Champions Leauge season. In summary, I don't see Berhalter doing anything differnet than what Arena 2.0 did and that did not work out well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wondo could at least point to goals scored in MLS to justify inclusion. Morris?

Reaction Score
So why bring Sargent along to cut him, and deprive him of playing prssure-packed U20 WC matches...in favor of known hack quantities?

Odd. If that was the plan, then Weah should have played with the Sr. team and Sargent should have gone with the U20's.

Other than that, roster is about what we would have expected.

Reaction Score
Sargent was one of the few nearly competent players on the field versus Jamaica.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
This guy makes me yearn for Sarachan...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well GB's reasoning for leaving Sargent off was that Lleget got injured (hamstring?) and because he is sooo versatile, he had to be replaced with a couple players. So not enough room on the 23 to carry 3 strikers. And at this time (not the future), Altidore and Zardes are ahead of Sargent.

Piss poor reasoning if you ask me. However, they better win the Gold Cup then. They won't, but if they are not gonna win it, they might as well not win it with Sargent so he can get the experience going forward.

Also not sure what he's gonna do with his defense. Carrying 5 CB's, although Ream can sorta play LB. He must be going with a 3 back. But does that put Adams as a WB????? Or maybe, hopefully it will get Adams into MF. IDK, not thinking this is gonna work real well.

You've got the makings of a good 3 man midfield (Adams - 6, McKennie - 8, and Pulisic - 10). START with that and build around it. Out of Brooks, Miazga, Long, CCV, Zimmerman?? you can find a couple CB's. Find some FB's, Yedlin, Gloster?, ???, ??? somebodies gotta be able to play. Up top you got Altidore/Sargent/Wood??, with Weah/Arriola/Lewis/Amon/Boyd/Saief/de la Fuente.

But the main thing is start with the 3 man midfield.

Reaction Score
Pathetic so far today. Very Sloppy at the back, and not much good to mention anywhere else on the pitch. Boyd is putting in a solid shift from the little I’ve watched, but wow. This US team is bad.

Reaction Score
Pathetic so far today. Very Sloppy at the back, and not much good to mention anywhere else on the pitch. Boyd is putting in a solid shift from the little I’ve watched, but wow. This US team is bad.

I didn’t watch but I read that we got torn apart by a player from Real Salt Lake.

What’s funny is that the “experts” thought yesterday that a US/Mex final was a foregone conclusion.

I really don’t expect this team to change much when Pulisic and Adams arrive.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I didn’t watch but I read that we got torn apart by a player from Real Salt Lake.

What’s funny is that the “experts” thought yesterday that a US/Mex final was a foregone conclusion.

I really don’t expect this team to change much when Pulisic and Adams arrive.

I saw the first three. Rondon has never scored easier goals.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We could have had Tata Martino. Juice boxes and orange slices prevailed.
Was saying the exact same thing to my brother a few hours ago. We didn’t go after Martino, who has probably forgotten more about coaching than Berhalter will ever learn, but waited a year plus to hire Bruce Jr. WTF. Well done USSF, we’ll done. But hey, at least we’ve got Earnie Stewart in the GM role Head bang

Reaction Score
'Berhalter asked if a result like this makes him consider changes both tactically and with personnel. He said, "We need to be calm." Said that he’s still getting guys to where they need to be fitness-wise'

We're in the middle of the MLS season, wtf is this guy talking about? He needs to be fired

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Said that he’s still getting guys to where they need to be fitness-wise'
Still more from the Hack Coach Handbook. Goes along with "changing the culture" and getting players "that want to be here."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom